FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
App that could do a hot key and leave clipboard
#13609 01/08/11 01:26 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Is there an app that can do a hotkey but leave the clipboard alone?
I love drag thing, but when I use it for hotkeys I get in trouble.

I put some important text on the clipboard.
Then I get distracted and compose an email.
In the subject line I hotkey in "touching base"
and what I had on the clipboard is lost because drag thing cleared the clipboard to put touching base in.

thanks.

Re: App that could do a hot key and leave clipboard
kevs #13610 01/08/11 01:37 AM

I suggest that you take a look at Butler.

In addition to hot key functionality it has clipboard/pasteboard functionality (which I've never seen touch the clipboard) that allows you to save multiple items. (I'm set to save 15.)

It doesn't come with a whole lot of documentation, but it's pretty intuitive, and I'll give you a leg up if you ever need one.

Edit: I just reread your post, and it sounds like you'll also be able to take advantage of Butler's "Custom pasteboard" functionality.

Last edited by artie505; 01/08/11 01:39 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #13613 01/08/11 04:37 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie,
before I go on a wild goose chase:
Does it remove what already on the clipboard?

kevs #13616 01/08/11 07:14 AM

As I said, kevs, Butler saves as many items in the clipboard as you tell it to save (If there's a limit, I don't know what it is.), even across restarts if you so opt.

The only way of which I'm aware to get something out of your clipboard is to either restart without selecting the above-mentioned option or consciously delete it.

You can delete or paste any item, not just the top one.

Here's an example, and if you use "Custom pasteboards," to hot key in "touching base," for example, they don't impact the clipboard at all.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #13627 01/08/11 11:23 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ARtie, it is free? it's says it's a free cnet download, but then I think ask for $20 for a license.

I downloaded it, but how to you do what we are talking about. Very complicated interface.

How is customer service? tech support? thanks! appreciate it.

kevs #13628 01/08/11 11:51 PM

You can have it for free, but if you buy a $20 license you'll save the upgrade fee when the next version (which has been promised for a looong time) is released.

Tech support was great when Peter was a one-man show, but I haven't needed it for years, and he's only "code-jockey" now, so I can't comment.

For your needs, I may be the best tech support you'll find.

If you tell me in detail what you want to do, I'll figure out the best way to get you the info.

For starters, tell me whether you want a "docklet" in your menu bar or you prefer to do it all with hot keys.

Last edited by artie505; 01/09/11 01:03 AM. Reason: Cleanup

kevs #13629 01/09/11 12:12 AM

kevs

Rather than using CNET Download as a reference, you might take a look at the developer's site and the links provided there for more information: Butler at Many Tricks.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #13631 01/09/11 01:40 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks, diane, that was ARties link.

Peter, same one is running KM?

Artie, just want to paste "touching base" without effecting the clipboard.

kevs #13633 01/09/11 05:14 AM

> Artie, just want to paste "touching base" without effecting the clipboard.

Piece of cake... I can cobble up a good basic setup (and even go it a coupl'a yards better) in less time than it'll take you to figure out the first step.

The easiest way to get this done is for me to e-mail you the files and instructions, so I'll need yours.

Edit: What the heck is "Peter, same one is running KM?" about?

Last edited by artie505; 01/09/11 06:32 AM.

artie505 #13638 01/09/11 07:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

artie, send you email and I"ll reply with mine. Don't want to publish mine here.

Peter runs Keyboard Meastro, wonder if it's same guy.

artie505 #13641 01/09/11 09:26 PM

artie505 and kevs,

Please consider continuing to post your questions and answers in this thread rather than private email correspondence.

Your contributions can help other FineTunedMac readers and build our knowledge base.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
kevs #13645 01/10/11 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
artie, send you email and I"ll reply with mine. Don't want to publish mine here.

Deal-breaker, dude!

Who are you that you think you're entitled to ask me to post my e-mail address in the clear to save you from posting yours?

Y'know what, kevs… I've read hundreds of your posts, and you're remarkably consistent: You come to us with a problem, you profess lack of understanding and technical skills, and you not only want your hand held every itty-bitty step of the way (You actually once posted "Do you think restarting will help?"), you want a free solution, to boot.

But you also display another sort of consistency which is that you're remarkably knowledgeable, technically competent, and capable of absorbing and understanding when it comes to problems that affect the integral facets of your business. (CS4, e-mail, and your website come to mind.)

So it all boils down to your asking us to be your "schleppers" while you take care of business, and, write it off to my sick sense of humor, I volunteered to "schlep" for you when I have absolutely no doubt that you're fully capable of doing the job yourself.

kevs… I offered to hold your hand, and you thanked me by asking me to hold your schwanz, too, so now, for all I care, you can urinate on your shoes.

cyn and Mods… I realize that this may violate the spirit of what will someday be the FTM Board Rules, and I'll pay whatever price you see fit to extract (when you're done chuckling).

artie505 #13646 01/10/11 01:54 AM

That was . . . Artful. smile

dianne #13647 01/10/11 01:57 AM

You missed my point, dianne... I needed kevs's e-mail address not for private discussion, but to send him the files I was going to cobble together for him and the instructions on what to do with them ("The easiest way to get this done is for me to e-mail you the files and instructions [....]"), but that may all be moot now.

I understand and appreciate the down-side to private-messaging, and I've only engaged in it once under circumstances that made using MFIF as an intermediary inordinately cumbersome.

artie505 #13657 01/10/11 03:50 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie,
I don't post my emails addresses on forums. The reason I brought that up is because I think PMs don't work on this forum.

I figured anyone asking that -- to send an email -- would not care about providing one.

I have always found your behavior a bit bizarre and haughty and I notice others on this forum comment on that too.

If you want to ignore my posts that's fine. I don't like bad attitudes. You are the only one on this forum like that. Everyone else is a dream.

kevs #13658 01/10/11 03:50 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Hal is here. I take that back. He is a bit like you -- very judgmental and erratic.

kevs #13664 01/10/11 11:37 PM

wink

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard