An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#12857 - 11/22/10 07:38 PM MacBook Pro battery
blschue Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Did Apple ever put a recall on the Model No. A1189 10.8V MacBook Pro battery? I had a bulging battery replaced in July 2009 under AppleCare. My AppleCare has expired and now the replacement battery is starting to bulge. About a week ago the macbook would suddenly shut down on its own after a short time of using with just the battery. Today I took the battery out to reset the SMC and noticed it was no longer flush with the bottom of the computer.
So... is there a recall or will I have to pay for a battery that is known to have problems?

#12859 - 11/22/10 10:56 PM Re: MacBook Pro battery [Re: blschue]
artie505 Online

I hope this is not the last word, but Apple - Support - Battery Exchange + Repair Extension Programs does not list your battery.

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#12925 - 11/25/10 07:22 PM Re: MacBook Pro battery [Re: blschue]
tacit Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
I'd take the battery in to an Apple store and show them the bulge. Apple doesn't publicly list all of their recall programs, but in my experience will often do the right thing even if there's no public recall or warranty extensions covering your specific problem.

#12934 - 11/26/10 04:55 AM Re: MacBook Pro battery [Re: tacit]
ryck Offline

Loc: Okanagan Valley
Originally Posted By: tacit
....but in my experience will often do the right thing even if there's no public recall or warranty extensions covering your specific problem.

That's my experience too and has recently become my daughter's experience. She took an older MacBook (2006) into an Apple store for a new drive and they noticed a flaw in the white plastic top.

Apparently the flaw has appeared in other MacBooks. In spite of the age of her machine, they are going to replace the top free of charge.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4
OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Canon MX710 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner
Time Machine on 320GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro
Carbon Copy Clone on 500GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro

#12939 - 11/26/10 09:45 AM Re: MacBook Pro battery [Re: blschue]
Virtual1 Offline

Loc: Iowa
there's a very good chance apple will replace, for free, any bulging battery you bring into an apple store, regardless of recall or warranty status, as long as the cycle count isn't astronomical. (I've only seen Apple turn someone down twice)

AASPs may have more difficulty.

#13241 - 12/07/10 06:30 PM Re: MacBook Pro battery [Re: Virtual1]
blschue Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I finally took my computer to the Apple genius bar and the battery was replaced free of charge.
Thanks for the responses.

#13374 - 12/20/10 02:27 AM Re: MacBook Pro battery [Re: Virtual1]
tacit Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
Friend of mine has a white MB that developed a battery problem when (naturally) it was 1 year and 2 days old. No, she didn't have AppleCare.

No bulge that I could detect, but the battery just suddenly stopped being "seen" by the computer. It started with the computer seeing but refusing to charge the battery, then progressed to the computer not seeing it at all. Now, when the battery is inserted and the computer is started, the front panel light blinks--two blinks, pause, three blinks, pause, over and over. Removing the battery lets the computer start normally.

Sadly, since it wasn't physically bulging, and was two days out of warranty when she brought it in, Apple refused to replace it.

Moderator:  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac