for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't print from Excel
#13322 12/15/10 08:09 AM
OP Online

I reverted from Office 2008 to Office X (Excel is the only Office app I use.) a coupl'a weeks back, because I got sick of waiting 5-10 secs for it to launch and 11 secs for it to quit, but I just discovered that I can't print; hitting File > Print or command-P causes Excel to crash.

I've tried my test account, Safe Boot, trashing prefs, reinstalling...all with no joy.

Has anybody got any insights, suggestions, incantations?

Thanks.

Update: I just tried and found that I can print from my Leopard volume; I guess maybe Office X is reaching the end of its run?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Can't print from Excel
artie505 #13323 12/15/10 10:11 AM

I don't normally use Excel but I have it in Office 2008 as well as Office X. I just tested both and had no problem printing in OS 10.6.5 although I can confirm your complaint about the slowness of Excel X. Print Therapy has solved some weird problems for me and it has a seven day free trial.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #13324 12/15/10 10:32 AM
OP Online

Thanks for letting me know that my problem can maybe be solved, Jon.

I'll try your linked app...can't hurt, but I'll likely wind up trashing most everything Microsoft and reinstalling...all to avoid having to boot into Leopard to generate PDFs. (I have to boot into Leopard to actually print...no updated driver.)

You got it backwards, though; it was Office 2008 that was slow to launch and brutally slow to quit.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #13325 12/15/10 11:45 AM

Oops! It was really early in the morning and I hadn't had my wake-up dose of caffeine yet. I find that Entourage 2008 launches slowly and quits slowly. Word 2008 launches quickly but quits slowly. My limited use of Excel (only for opening attached Excel documents and printing a test for you) has it launching and quitting quickly. I don't know what would happen if I used it constantly. I have never used Powerpoint.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #13326 12/15/10 12:05 PM
OP Online

Addendum... I forgot to mention that I have no trouble printing from apps other than Excel.

artie505 #13328 12/15/10 12:30 PM

If you'll entertain 3 guesses...

1. When you go to print, and the Excel print window appears, asking for number of copies, etc., there is also a dropdown menu that also asks which printer to use.

Try reselecting your printer. (I'm guessing this preference is corrupt.) You may even have to trash all Excel preferences.

2. Verify fonts in Font Book.

3. Do an Excel custom (re)install.

Sorry for the .5assed guesses, but at least they shouldn't hurt.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #13330 12/15/10 01:10 PM
OP Online

Thanks for kicking in, Harv.

> 1. When you go to print, and the Excel print window appears, asking for number of copies, etc., there is also a dropdown menu that also asks which printer to use.

Try reselecting your printer. (I'm guessing this preference is corrupt.) You may even have to trash all Excel preferences.

Excel crashes before the print window appears.

> 2. Verify fonts in Font Book.

No help. frown

> 3. Do an Excel custom (re)install.

Just go done doing that... No joy.

The interesting thing, though, and maybe it will mean something to somebody, is that clicking on the "Print" icon in Excel's toolbar sends the print job directly to my printer without benefit of dialog window.

confused

artie505 #13338 12/15/10 08:00 PM

Just to broaden the potential solution space a bit...
  1. Have you tried printing from Excel in a clean test account to see if it works there?
  2. Have you tried deleting the printer driver, restarting your computer, and then re-installing the printer? That should very effectively flush all the print queues and cache files in case there is some conflict there.
  3. You might also use Cocktail, OnyX, TinkerTool System, or anything else of your choice to flush out all the Microsoft and user cache files.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #13339 12/16/10 12:07 AM
OP Online

I just ran Print Therapy with no joy (as expected).

Thanks for the link, though.

joemikeb #13341 12/16/10 12:33 AM
OP Online

> Have you tried deleting the printer driver, restarting your computer, and then re-installing the printer? That should very effectively flush all the print queues and cache files in case there is some conflict there.

Bingo! smile

Thanks for the suggestion; it never occurred to me to delete my printer (which I was only keeping around for nostalgic reasons, anyhow, since there are no 10.6 drivers for it).

I deleted and restarted, and Excel now responds to command-P as expected.

Is it unusual to run into an issue like this with only one app out of many?

Thanks, again.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard