Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPod Contact Synching
#13227 12/07/10 03:27 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I have an iPod Nano (about three years old) and I'm now running iTunes 10.1

I recall when I first entered Contacts from my Address Book I could choose which contacts to transfer to the iPod, rather than the entire list. Today I wanted to update the set on iPod contacts but don't seem to have the option any longer.

iTunes>iPod>Info

I seem only to be able to choose between All Contacts or Selected Groups. The only "Contacts" in the window are some Groups. There isn't a single individual contact name.

Has a previous functionality been removed in the newer versions of iTunes?

ryck

Last edited by dianne; 12/07/10 09:45 PM. Reason: moved from Audio, Video, Photography to iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: iPod Contact Synching
ryck #13228 12/07/10 03:52 PM

Individual contacts is not my recollection. It has always been a matter of selected groups (or all groups), but i wasn't using that specific feature until around iTunes 6.x

Hal Itosis #13229 12/07/10 04:14 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Individual contacts is not my recollection.

Hmmmmmm. Perhaps my recollection is confused with synching a selected list of tunes. Synaptic short circuit?

I definitely have a much reduced list of contacts in my iPod so now it's a matter of how I got there. Perhaps I reduced the list in my Address Book, saved, made the transfer, and reinstated the original file using Time machine.

What a lengthy route....I wonder if this is a function that should be available.

ryck

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #13243 12/08/10 04:11 AM

Not sure if this is touching on the obvious or not, but if you want to sync specific users, just make one group called IPOD and drag all the people into that group, (it does not move, it bookmarks) and then tell the ipod to just sync that group. and then ignore the group on the ipod and just look up the users alphabetically which I think is what you're trying to do?

There has never been an option to specify specific photos or contacts. You CAN select specific movies however. Maybe you were thinking of that?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #13247 12/08/10 02:22 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
....if you want to sync specific users, just make one group called IPOD and drag all the people into that group, (it does not move, it bookmarks) and then tell the ipod to just sync that group...

Thanks for that. It works fine although there is an interesting bit of peculiar behaviour. When a new group is created in Address Book, and is the only one selected for synching to the iPod, iTunes will also copy unselected groups where a contact is common.

For example: Mary is added to the iPod Group created in Address Book. However, she happens also to be in the existing Address Book Group A and Group B.

When you do the synch, after selecting only the iPod Group, your iPod will also get the unselected Group A and Group B. And, curiously, the Group A and Group B on the iPod will not have all the contacts from the Address Book version of those groups. Mary will be the only name in them.

I'm not sure why Apple sees that as desirable or advantageous.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 12/08/10 02:25 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard