An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Are indivudal emails blacklisted or just isps?
#13183 12/06/10 12:21 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I know that certain isps can get blacklisted.
When I did my first email blast, I signed up with the cheapest web mail service and all my emails went into people junk mail folders.
(this company's server was a known spammer server -- I did not know better.)

I then went to a better service that was "whitelisted"

I know send through my own computer via the web hoster of my website which is a very reputatble site and I think whitelisted.

Yet sometimes people report that my emails came in their junk folder still.

So I still worry, can my personal single specific email address become blacklisted? Am I worrying too much?

Re: Are indivudal emails blacklisted or just isps?
kevs #13194 12/06/10 04:37 AM

I can't answer your specific question, but I can say that e-mail senders frequently advise me to take steps to prevent their mail from winding up in my junk folder on my server (and even though I never take the suggested steps it gets through, anyhow).

To the point, then... I believe that each server (Edit: ISP, really) sets parameters for what is "good" e-mail and what is "junk," that your addressees who find your mail in their junk folder may be using servers with restrictive parameters, and that adding you to their address book on their server may solve their problem.

If enough of your recipients are having trouble it may pay you to append the caveat to the top of your e-mails.

Last edited by artie505; 12/06/10 03:02 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #13206 12/06/10 01:51 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks!

kevs #13208 12/06/10 02:51 PM

Individual senders can become identified as suspected spammers as well as ISPs and IP addresses. Even if you make it through all those gates the individual message may be flagged by the sending SMTP server, the receiving POP/IMAP server, anti-spam utilities on the local computer or the email client itself. The algorithms used in this process are based on a number of different factors including keywords and phrases in the message content, number of addressees, and who knows what other characteristics experts can think of. Even better those algorithms are continually evolving and adapting. There is no way to absolutely guaranteeing your blast will not end up in the Junk or Trash folder, but getting the recipient to put your sending address in their address book is about as close as you are going to get.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #13215 12/06/10 06:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe,
yes this is a disaster.
Especially since part of my marketing is with list I buy, and list I compile.

One blast I sent a few months ago I received a wonderful reply from many.

I sent the same blast to a new group of 5k and got no reply, not one, did not even get bounces! usually get few hundred bounces.

This blast had a large photo inside a nicely designed newsletter.
I'm thinking I may have to go to just simple letter with maybe one small photos tops.

kevs #13216 12/06/10 06:58 PM

Be careful with lists you buy. Buying lists of email addresses makes you a spammer. Even if the person who sells you the list claims (often falsely) that the list is "opt-in," because the fact that they opted in to something doesn't mean they opted in to you.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #13221 12/06/10 11:05 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Dang, and I just spent another $300.00 for a new list.
But it seems to work over time. But I'm doing some test, and it seems two of my critical emails address are being reported as spam by spam check, so I'm really irked.

Perhaps I'll hire a 3rd party server, now not sure what to do about these two cyberspace banned email addreses, they are very critical, as they are on my business cards and promo cards I send out! totally at a loss. Yes, of course this is an opt in list. People have to sign into it on the web site of the place I buy from. But I also make my own list -- past client, prospective and send those too.

kevs #13223 12/07/10 06:38 AM

Out of curiosity, have you tried e-mailing yourself from those "banned" addresses to see what happens both with and without their having been entered in your address book on your mail server?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #13225 12/07/10 02:23 PM

This is a problem faced by many small and medium sized businesses not to mention institutions such as churches. I have some very good friends who own a small business and know of several churches in our Presbytery who are using Constant Contact to solve many of the problems you have been struggling with in this and previous threads. There are of course other reputable firms providing similar services, but this is the only one I have any direct exposure to. It may be worth a look.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #13226 12/07/10 03:23 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, yes, I just sent regular email that I have been using with my blast and two of the came back as spam from spam check, and one of them did not dome in at all with test accounts (hotmail, gmail etc)

So this means that regular emails I've been sending to clients saying, "give me a call, we'll talk about your project", have not been received for who knows how long! Yikes!

I should have created a new separate email for blasts. right?

Joe:
I used to used both constant contact and Vertical Response but bailed on them and now just use Max mail. I prefer it because I save the $70 to $100 month, and just do it all here which is easier actually. those companies gave me many headaches.

But even with them, you have to give an email address the message is coming from, no? I think it would have damaged my email address anyway.

But certain blast I would not use constant contact anyway as those I knew would get too many spam reports, ie the ones to my consumer clients, some from list I bought for these types of consumer client, I would not use constant contact. I would use them for just the very whitelisted high end client lists I have.

The owner of Max uses Spam Assassin. But I looked on their website and it's look way too complex to understand. I could not even figure out the folder what downloaded on my desktop.
Do you guys understand Spam Assassin or have any other recommendations that are more user friendly?

This is from letter I just sent to Max Mail about it. if you have any ideas, pleas pipe in:

from Max:
Kevs,
Ok, I got it. You get a spam score of 4.3 . This is a lot.

You get:

HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_08 -> images with 400-800 bytes of words -> 1.8 points
and HTML_MESSAGE.

It is explained here.

To Max:

You got it only because you whitelisted the email address correct?

and most, they don't even get it at all.

What is it saying? html image only? There is a full letter on top of the image?

images with 400-800 words? I have a normal message above the image.
Don't understand either of those. do you?
--------------

What is Spam Assassin? Do I have to sign up for an account? I downloaded a .trz -- but don't see or understand where the app is in the folder.
It seems more complicated that the VR lookup we did while back!

Any recommendation on which download to do and how to learn it, is there any tech support? it seems very complicated.

And that list -- way over my head. 90% of that list is gobbly gook to the common man.

Max ------I clicked the spam check, says 4 things, don't understand even them:
subject does not contain date or month? Why would someone want to put a date in the subject? that seems odd.that seems spammy.

Subject does not start with header like Info, news -- that seems spammy -- I dont get that.

Subject does not contain a frequency seriel number. Why would it -- that seems spammy.

Body length is smaller than 5000 characters. Most emails are short.

All four warnings provided by Max don't make sense. The things Max are saying are not there actually seem more spammy to me.

But I would like to learn spam assaasin, seems very complex no?

Here is the real scary part Stan:

It seems because I have been using a couple of my normal email addresses for lots of blasts These emails may have not been working for the last few weeks or who knows how long for my "regular" emails back to clients. I may now have to figure a way to create new emails and that's a real drag as they are on business and postcards and my website. It may have been smarter to have created a new email for blasts.

kevs #13230 12/07/10 04:24 PM

> So this means that regular emails I've been sending to clients saying, "give me a call, we'll talk about your project", have not been received for who knows how long! Yikes!

On the other hand, though, you don't seem to have been aware that you haven't been getting expected responses?

Last edited by artie505; 12/07/10 04:28 PM. Reason: Cleanup

artie505 #13233 12/07/10 05:54 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie,
often I will receive emails from prospective clients who fill out my contact form without giving me their telephone numbers. I email them back, please send your number.
If I don't hear back I would assume it's hopeless with them -- not because my email never arrived.

kevs #13235 12/07/10 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Artie,
often I will receive emails from prospective clients who fill out my contact form without giving me their telephone numbers. I email them back, please send your number.
If I don't hear back I would assume it's hopeless with them -- not because my email never arrived.

Sure... That's business; but what about the "give me a call, we'll talk about your project" clients? Are they calling?

artie505 #13237 12/07/10 10:05 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Some fill out the form or email without providing their phone numbers.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard