FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Finder "Save" problem?
ganbustein #13169 12/05/10 06:50 AM

Quote:
What I described is the way OS X has always behaved, with the only change from one version to another being the list of available views.

Not exactly. You described in general the checking "use as defaults" as if this option were available in any view. However, in column view this option is not available, either in Leopard or in SL. Therefore, I do agree with your definition "highly non-intuitive".

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
macnerd10 #13172 12/05/10 03:16 PM

I've always considered column "view" to be a different sort of animal.

It's really more of a browsing mode than a simple window view (from my perspective anyway). Note that —while in Column Mode —we are almost always "viewing" multiple folders simultaneously. E.g., while looking at the /Applications/Utilities/ level, we are also seeing its parent /Applications/ as well as the root level / (depending on how wide the window is of course). A similar phenomenon is possible in list view, if we expand the disclosure triangles... but in Column Mode, multi-level "viewness" is the basic nature of that beast (e.g., all visible levels can be scrolled independently).

Note also that —without the Finder toolbar —other views like icon and list will spawn a new window when we enter a different folder... whereas Column Mode maintains the single-window browsing behavior (despite the lack of Finder's toolbar).

I'm not making any Earth-shattering point here or anything.
Just sayin'... this subject does come with some complexity.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 12/05/10 03:30 PM.
Hal Itosis #13174 12/05/10 07:10 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Note that —while in Column Mode —we are almost always "viewing" multiple folders simultaneously. E.g., while looking at the /Applications/Utilities/ level, we are also seeing its parent /Applications/ as well as the root level / (depending on how wide the window is of course). A similar phenomenon is possible in list view, if we expand the disclosure triangles... but in Column Mode, multi-level "viewness" is the basic nature of that beast (e.g., all visible levels can be scrolled independently).

You're right, and that's one of the things I like about Column.

I usually decide, once a project is done, to do a bit of "refiling" and/or "tossing out" of no-longer- necessary files. It's easier to see what I'm doing when in Column, than if I used "List" where a bunch of stuff would be past the bottom of the window.

It's a handy mode for those of us who are easily confused. laugh

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #13200 12/06/10 08:41 AM

>It's a handy mode for those of us who are easily confused.

And speaking of confusion, I have absolutely no idea why people want to live with icon view in which a folder with many files/folders is a nightmare to navigate.

I've been 99.9% stuck in column view (Some windows open in list view for easier perusal of long file/folder names.) since I discovered it.

As the expression goes, "It's a machaya!"

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #13242 12/08/10 02:30 AM

Ditto!

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
artie505 #13245 12/08/10 04:16 AM

what blows my mind is when I see someone with a high resolution display, with the desktop icons set to smallest possible, so they have 150 icons on the desktop.

(and they usually know precisely where all 150 of them are on the screen)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
ganbustein #16004 06/11/11 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: ganbustein
I thought the 'Relaunch Finder' menu command sent Finder a kill signal instead of a quit message (so that it will still work if Finder is hung and not responding to events), but I tested it just now and apparently it tries the quit message first.

Further testing shows that I was right the first time. "Relaunch Finder", force quit (whether from Activity Monitor or the force quit window you reach with command-option-escape), "killall Finder", and "kill <Finder's pid>" all do the same thing: they send a SIGTERM signal to Finder, which kills Finder dead in its tracks. Finder is never sent a quit message by any of these commands. It does not get a chance to clean up. Recent changes will usually be lost, and any file Finder happens to be in the middle of updating will likely get corrupted.

I know this is an old thread, and sorry to resurrect it, but I don't want anyone who finds it to be misled by my earlier comment.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard