Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alternatives to tinypic?
#12871 11/23/10 07:20 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I use tinypic.com for forums like this one that don't have an attachment ability.

But it's been pointed out that their terms say they can sell the photos you post!

Any better alternatives to tiny pic?

Re: Alternatives to tinypic?
kevs #12874 11/23/10 09:13 PM

I use ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting; you'll have to check their terms for yourself.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12875 11/24/10 12:09 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Artie, I was using Image Shack for years before Tiny, but quit because of technical issues I cannot remember now.
It's work ok for you? I don't see terms anywhere on the site.

kevs #12876 11/24/10 12:15 AM

kevs,

You might also review my reply to you in this thread: New Screenshot site needed for other alternatives to tinypic.

It duplicates some information already supplied by artie505.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
kevs #12877 11/24/10 12:30 AM

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #12878 11/24/10 03:58 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Diane, of your list picvault is only one with same quick fast method.

DK, ok terms and conditions are exactly same, maybe the two sites emanate from same owner?

Let's cut to the chase then.

What the hell?

A person goes to a site to quickly show a group on a forum a photo they took of their mom at the pyramids and is supposedly agreeing to the site owning and distributing the image for profit?

kevs #12880 11/24/10 03:11 PM

Free is seldom, if ever, really free. The free sites have to pay for themselves one way or another. To put it another way, "There aint no free lunch."

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #12888 11/24/10 07:48 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe,
what do you use?
You think these sites are really selling my images of grandma I post?

You think it's not a copyright violation?

I did not agree to that. I did not click any checkbox. I did not even see the terms your honor.

kevs #12889 11/24/10 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: keys
what do you use?
MobileMe.
You think these sites are really selling my images of grandma I post?
No I don't think they are selling the photos of Grandma, but they may be selling other particularly noteworthy photos that are posted. At the very least they are leaving their options open in case they should at some point in the future decide to sell the site to a third party. (I can't find it at the moment but I recently read something about a lawsuit where that very issue came up but I don't remember the specific details.)
You think it's not a copyright violation?
Not if it was in the terms of agreement for using the site to post pictures
I did not agree to that. I did not click any checkbox. I did not even see the terms your honor.
You may not have seen them, but I would bet there was a statement somewhere that said something to the effect that by posting an image here you are agreeing by the usage agreement or something to that effect. How legal and enforceable that implicit agreement is can only be decided in court of law. If your pockets are deep enough or if you have a friend or relative who is an attorney willing to take the case pro bono or on a contingency fee basis, you can find out how legal and enforceable it is. Of course unless you can prove you have actually suffered recoverable damages any finding in your favor would be a Pyrhhic victory.

I understand your feeling of betrayal when you found out what the policy is and I personally think that policy should be up front and very visible. But to tell the truth all of us blow past usage agreements, license agreements, etc., every day without really reading them. At least I know I do. The truth of the matter is we would all need to keep an attorney on almost a full time retainer to read and explain to us all of the agreements and licenses we either explicitly or implicitly agree to every day. To make it even worse many of those agreements change on a frequent basis. The iTunes Store being a good case in point. Frankly I have no suggestions for improving the situation other than as much as practicable being very careful with whom we decide to do business or agree with. Even massive changes in copyright and privacy laws are fraught with the possibility of horrendous unintended consequences that none of us would want to live with.

This is an interesting thread, but with my help it has drifted off of troubleshooting. So perhaps if you would like to extend the conversation we should do so in The Lounge.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #12894 11/24/10 11:22 PM

ImageShack allows you to remove your uploads from their website if you become a member.

This pop-up appears after you've uploaded an image:

"Register now! Add the ability to delete this image!
Join for free.
Save your media.
Get free tools.
Email:
Username:

Never show again"

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12901 11/25/10 02:07 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe,
mobile me is a service to unify devices. I don't think it works like tiny pic or image shack.

Yeah, I don't think any terms and conditions can win in court. People will argue they did not read it (which no one does-- it's common knowledge).

ARtie, not practical. You put up the image for a forum. I guess if you can "remember" to come back later and remove the images. What a hassle though.

kevs #12902 11/25/10 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
mobile me is a service to unify devices.

It's much more than that.

Originally Posted By: kevs
You put up the image for a forum. I guess if you can "remember" to come back later and remove the images. What a hassle though.

If you want to share the image for a limited time, you can put it in an otherwise private place on MobileMe, and then share it. Sharing a file (which can be but doesn't have to be an image) gives you a special url for the file that you can hand out as you see fit, in email, by posting to a forum, whatever. You can optionally put a time limit on the url, after which it automatically stops working.

ganbustein #12903 11/25/10 02:51 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Mobile me is not free correct? and bit of a hassle to sign up for?

kevs #12905 11/25/10 05:41 AM

Quote:
ARtie, not practical. You put up the image for a forum. I guess if you can "remember" to come back later and remove the images. What a hassle though.

Mabe you ought to give some thought to the right-hand side of this page.

The only way you're likely to get your cake and eat it is by baking it yourself.

kevs #12910 11/25/10 01:07 PM

I use my own web server wink But anyone that hosts yours would do the trick.

it's too bad dropbox doesn't do web hosting.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #12916 11/25/10 02:54 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, you link went to buying a Mac mini?

Virtual, did not understand. Those sites, are great because you can quickly upload an image and the post it to a forum.

kevs #12922 11/25/10 09:08 PM

> Artie, you link went to buying a Mac mini?

My link went to buying a Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server.

Edit: You ought to give V1's post some consideration; maybe you can host your pics on your website's server.

Last edited by artie505; 11/26/10 01:47 AM.

kevs #12924 11/26/10 03:20 AM

I've read the TinyPic terms of service, and I don't see where they can actually sell your images. You are granting them a license to retransmit or display your images, but any photo sharing site will have that term; otherwise, they could not legally display the image at all!

I generally host images on one of my own Web sites; if you have any Web server space, you can do the same thing. But naturally, that involves paying for server space (all the free Web hosting plans I've ever seen specifically forbid using the server space for remote image hosting).

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #12927 11/26/10 05:55 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tacit: it says, (yeah, they dont own it per se.....)

"you hereby grant to TinyPic and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels. Content will be publicly available, and TinyPic and other Users may copy or display Content outside of the TinyPic Services through the quick link feature or through any other display mechanisms. "

I have a website, but posting to it takes way more time, and its not anonymous.

kevs #12929 11/26/10 07:49 AM

Yep. That grant of license is standard boilerplate. A photo storage site HAS to have that license, because otherwise, you could upload a picture and then sue them for making it available for others to view on their servers.

Basically, when you upload a pic to a photo site, you're giving the photo site a license to keep that picture on their servers (since you put it there) and to reproduce it in any country (since an Internet viewer can see it from any country). There's nothing nefarious at play here.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #12936 11/26/10 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
There's nothing nefarious at play here.
I suspect that part of the problem is the fact that the legalese used allows any use of submitted material that's not explicitly excluded. Since 'nefarious use' isn't disallowed the user essentially depends on the intention of the site, and we all know how much that's worth when push comes to shove.

That said, to the extent that it can be assessed properly the reputation of the various sites may be of some help in this regard. After all, there is no way that both provider and user rights can be fully protected at the same time, and some trust is both warranted and required.

But the bottom line is that when your requirements are too restrictive for the free options, you'll have to pony up for a private solution.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #12938 11/26/10 05:04 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok, so both of you guys are saying that tinypic has no intention of ever licensing the images later?

kevs #12940 11/26/10 06:17 PM

I can't possibly comment on Tinypic's intention and would not go farther than saying that right now any such licensing seems unlikely.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #12943 11/26/10 07:34 PM

I just reread TinyPic's terms, and I think they're allowed to, as oposed to licensing them on their own, upload pictures to the photograph "stock-houses" for distribution via those channels.

artie505 #12948 11/26/10 11:41 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a friend who is a copyright expert, not a lawyer but a photographer. he brought all this to my attention. Would you agree, that the odds of Tiny pic actually using the image, any image for anything later it about one in billion? and even then they could easily be sued, and their terms would not amount to a hill of beans?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard