FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Re-assigning Shortcut keys for Volume Control
#12650 11/05/10 05:07 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Currently I am using a keyboard which does not have the Volume Up/Volume Down/Mute keys that can be found on an APPLE keyboard.

Is there any way I can re-assign these functions to another set of keys - for example, TOP ROW (F-keys) - to control the volume levels for audio?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: Re-assigning Shortcut keys for Volume Control
MG2009 #12656 11/05/10 04:53 PM

a keyboard macro'ing program such as Butler may be what you are looking for.

there's also ways to adjust volume via terminal and applescript

terminal command: osascript -e "set volume 7"

sets max volume iirc

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #12661 11/05/10 05:33 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your input.

However, BUTLER is way too advanced for me. I didn't even understand the BASIC instructions of that application. Their HELP menu was of no use for someone at my level. Essentially, I was sent on a wild goose chase there - clicking and getting further and further away from what I want to accomplish.

I would try the TERMINAL suggestion you gave, but I have no idea what "iirc" means or "set volume 7." (I do know how to open TERMINAL and that is about all.)

Is there a simple, step-by-step solution to my inquiry?

Virtual1 #12663 11/05/10 09:52 PM

With all due respect, it seems to me that it would be far simpler to use the menu extra than it would be to run a script every time you wanted to adjust the volume. Since you'd want to be able to tweak it to different levels for different applications, you'd need to type osascript -e "set volume n" every time. And if you used a straight AppleScript script instead:

Code:
set theLevel to choose from list {"0-Silent", "1-Very Quiet", "2-Quiet", "3-Moderately Quiet", "4-Medium", "5-Moderately Loud", "6-Loud", "7-Very Loud"}
set volume (first character of (theLevel as text)) as number

then you could choose the volume level, but unless you used some key combo to launch the script, you'd still be better off simply accessing the volume control via the menu extra.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
MG2009 #12664 11/05/10 09:56 PM

Are you averse to using the volume control accessed by clicking the loudspeaker icon (right side of the menu bar)? Or do you not have that particular menu enabled? If it's the latter, you can enable it by going to System Preferences -> Sound and clicking the relevant checkbox.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #12665 11/05/10 11:55 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for getting back to me.

I guess what I want to do cannot be done. I was looking for a simple way to designate a combination of keys for controlling the volume. I got used to being able to use the three keys that were designated for such on the Apple keyboard i.e. to the right hand side of the layout.

I have the "slider" in the Menu Bar . . . but I like the way that the "key" method allowed the volume to increase/decrease in increments or, with one touch, Mute the sound altogether.

I was hoping there would be a way to re-designate three keys to perform the same functions on the new keyboard (up/down/mute).

But, alas, it was not meant to be . . .

Thanks for your help anyway.

MG2009 #12666 11/06/10 05:39 AM

I'm a heavy Butler user, and I could help you out, but I'm not certain that it's really applicable... Butler (and others of its ilk) can remap existing keys, but your keyboard apparently doesn't have sound control keys, so there's no starting point for Butler to remap them from.

I think dkmarsh's menu extra suggestion may be your best bet.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MG2009 #12667 11/06/10 09:21 AM

All may not be lost... You jogged my memory, and PTHVolume (freeware) floated to the surface.

Quote:
But what happens if you like the IBM Model M style of keyboards, without custom volume keys. Well PTHVolume 2 comes to your rescue, you can set keyboard shortcuts for any and all volume devices.

Hope it turns the trick.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12669 11/06/10 03:51 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for. Couldn't be any simpler.

I re-assigned the following:

INSERT = MUTE

HOME = Volume UP

END = Volume DOWN

Thanks a bunch!!! grin

MG2009 #12670 11/06/10 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for.

[....]

Thanks a bunch!!! grin

I've spent years compiling a database of apps I've seen on the d/l sites, VersionTracker in particular (Dammit... I miss VT!!! frown ), and every once in a while I get to justify my hours of reading.

Thanks for asking...happy to have been able to help. laugh

artie505 #25568 03/27/13 09:05 PM

Thank you so much! I've been searching for this solution. I use a stealth switch (foot pedals for key presses) and needed to assign a keyboard shortcut for volume that I could then assign to the pedals. PTHVolume did the trick!

Celery #25569 03/27/13 09:24 PM

Hi, and welcome to FineTunedMac. smile

Wow... Two scores with one post!

I'm glad you found what you were looking for; hang around...there's much more to be learned.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard