for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When to replace Trackpad batteries?
#12341 10/11/10 10:51 AM
OP Offline

Twenty-three day ago I purchased a Trackpad and am presently at 81% battery life.

At what (percentage) point should I charge the (NiMH) batteries?

Right now, I’m thinking 25% would be the right change point. But that is only an uneducated guess.

I’m hoping someone here will have a more informed suggestion.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: When to replace Trackpad batteries?
Pendragon #12342 10/11/10 11:20 AM

I usually wait until the warning message comes up on the screen and change a little after that. Not sure at what percentage that is. Maybe 18 %. I guess one could keep using the mouse and see when it becomes ineffective.

Pendragon #12344 10/11/10 01:33 PM

While I do not have a Trackpad, I do have a Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard and I use rechargeable NiMh batteries in both and I have made the following observations.

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Although alkaline cells are rated at 1.5 volts and NiMH cells at 1.2 volts, during discharge the alkaline voltage eventually drops below that of NiMH. NiMH batteries offer a flatter discharge curve, particularly at higher current draw.

Because of the output voltage differential and because the charge level measurements in the Mac are calibrated for alkaline batteries, even properly charged NiMh batteries fresh from the charger will not show 100% charge, in fact the maximum charge level they will indicate is not far from your 81% charge level. In addition, the discharge curve of the NiMh batteries together with the lower initial voltage means the reported % of power remaining that is reported in OS X is a relatively inaccurate representation of the charge level or remaining battery life of NiMh batteries.

The key factor is when does the battery voltage fall below the point necessary to properly power the bluetooth transmitter in the remote device. The best indication of this is when your Trackpad, Magic Mouse, or wireless keyboard looses contact with your Mac or when the low battery warning appears on the screen. Then it is definitely time to recharge the NiMh batteries.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #12347 10/11/10 05:37 PM
OP Offline

Thanks all.

I was just worried that I might discharge them so (deep) that they would not then recharge as expected.

" Because of the output voltage differential and because the charge level measurements in the Mac are calibrated for alkaline batteries, even properly charged NiMh batteries fresh from the charger will not show 100% charge."

FWIW, my Trackpad did show 100% charge in System Preferences Trackpad, and when they have completed their routine in the Apple charger, they too show a 100% charge (but I have not actually tried them yet).

Indeed, this business of storing charged ions (or whatever) and such indeed has me confused...

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #12351 10/11/10 07:23 PM

The voltage sensor in the trackpad may have been calibrated for the NiMh batteries since Apple released the batteries and charger at the same time. My keyboard and Magic Mouse predate that.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard