Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Can spotlight find Web Bookmarks?
#12149 10/02/10 07:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Sometime I lost important Firefox bookmark folders, but they never come up in Spotlight, so I cannot find them, what can I do? thanks.

Last edited by dianne; 10/04/10 11:04 PM. Reason: moved from Mac OS X Applications to the Networking forum.
Re: Can spotlight find Web Bookmarks?
kevs #12151 10/02/10 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Sometime I lost important Firefox bookmark folders, but they never come up in Spotlight, so I cannot find them, what can I do? thanks.

Do you back them up regularly to minimize what you (may) lose?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #12152 10/02/10 08:51 PM

Looks like Firefox puts its bookmarks here:

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/????????.default/bookmarks.html

[where "????????" is some random alphanumeric sequence]

And there's a "bookmarkbackups" folder right next to it.

Anywho... Spotlight will not look inside Library folders when run from the menubar. We need to open a window and add the (System files) (are included) criteria to the search. [somehow i think we've been over this ground before.]

Hal Itosis #12154 10/02/10 10:30 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes, the backup is in app - support.

Hal Itosis #12155 10/02/10 11:59 PM

Code:
~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/????????.default/bookmarks.html

I just opened that file in Firefox, and mine doesn't have any bookmarks stored in it; "bookmarkbackups", on the other hand, contains what looks to be are apparently my bookmarks, but they'll only open up in TextEdit or the like, and they include an awful lot of info...way more than I'd expect a for bookmark.

Edit: I went one step farther, and since the 5 (they're dated) items in "bookmarkbackups" appeared identical in TextEdit I deleted the 4 earliest ones with no apparent ill effects.

Last edited by artie505; 10/03/10 04:55 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #12156 10/03/10 12:23 AM

This here is a wild guess, but since I had 5 dated files in "bookmarkbackups" I'm wondering whether, if you've got a similar setup, your earlier dated files contain the bookmarks you've lost.

If you've got multiple files like I've got, try quitting Firefox and moving all but the earliest one to your Desktop, then relaunching Firefox to see if any of your missing bookmarks reappear.

Like I said... A wild guess.

artie505 #12157 10/03/10 12:40 AM

It seems that Firefox's bookmarks are stored within an SQL database at ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/alphanum.default/places.sqlite, as per the Firefox Support Knowledge Base.

Actually, the Firefox Support Knowledge Base is surprisingly helpful regarding Firefox support issues. wink If kevs cares to investigate, he may find, say, Lost Bookmarks or Backing up and restoring bookmarks to be of some value.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #12158 10/03/10 01:15 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

DK,
my problem is that I need to keep the current set. I change things all the time.

but I'd like to surgically bring a few bookmark folders from a backup.

Now with the finder and files that so easy right?

kevs #12159 10/03/10 02:06 AM

The point is that Firefox doesn't store bookmarks as a collection of individual entries—which would make surgically restoring a few folders from a backup easy—but rather as a single database.

You might try Exporting bookmarks to an HTML file. This gives you a long list of all of your bookmarks, organized by folder, each bearing the name under which it was bookmarked, and each a clickable hyperlink.

That doesn't allow you to move a folder back into your current bookmarks, but you can still easily navigate to each item within a folder. In fact, you could export your current Firefox bookmarks to a file on your Desktop named, say, October_2_2010.html, then double-click on that file to open it in a Firefox window (assuming Firefox is set as your default browser). Next, bookmark that page. Now, as your bookmarks change, you'll always be able to access the ones you've got right now, simply by visiting the bookmarked October_2_2010.html page. (Note that this holds true only as long as that file remains on your Desktop, or wherever you chose to put it when you initially created it using Firefox's Export HTML procedure.)

dkmarsh #12165 10/03/10 05:27 AM

I took a look at Backing up and restoring bookmarks...

I tried restoring from "bookmarks.html," but it only restored all/some of firefox's default bookmark set...nothing I've added since I first launched Firefox.

kevs's only hope may be in "bookmarkbackups," and, indeed, Firefox's "work star" offers an option to restore from that/those file(s), but care is required, because it sounds like doing so will overwrite his current bookmark set.

artie505 #12166 10/03/10 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505

I tried restoring from "bookmarks.html,"...

Since Firefox's automatic bookmark backups are named bookmarks-yyyy-mm-dd.json and its manual backups are, by default, named in the same fashion, I'm not sure what would lead you to try to restore from bookmarks.html. I sure hope you didn't take from my previous post any notion that I was suggesting such an approach!

I was attempting to direct kevs to a Firefox support document, rather than to suggest taking action on the basis of "a wild guess," but it seemed clear to me from his reply that the problem is that since he "need[s] to keep the current set," as he "change[s] things all the time," he's not looking for a solution which requires overwriting the existing set of bookmarks with a previous set.

I therefore offered a workaround involving exporting, not backing up, to an html file—which Firefox names, by default, bookmarks.html—and bookmarking, not restoring from, that file.

In any case, were he to attempt to overwrite his current set with one of the automatic bookmarks-yyyy-mm-dd.json backups—or with any other file, if he selected Choose File... instead—he'd first be presented with a dialog stating This will replace all of your current bookmarks with the backup. Are you sure?

dkmarsh #12167 10/03/10 08:53 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

I tried restoring from "bookmarks.html,"...

Since Firefox's automatic bookmark backups are named bookmarks-yyyy-mm-dd.json and its manual backups are, by default, named in the same fashion, I'm not sure what would lead you to try to restore from bookmarks.html. I sure hope you didn't take from my previous post any notion that I was suggesting such an approach!

Not you at all... One of the approaches Firefox offers is restoring from an html file, and since that was the only one around and it was "boookmarky" I tried it, and, as I said, it restored Firefox's default set of bookmarks. (I wonder why Firefox has got those [deleted by me] default bookmarks backed up, anyhow?) I forgot to say that it did not overwrite my current set...merely augmented it.

Quote:
I was attempting to direct kevs to a Firefox support document, rather than to suggest taking action on the basis of "a wild guess," but it seemed clear to me from his reply that the problem is that since he "need[s] to keep the current set," as he "change[s] things all the time," he's not looking for a solution which requires overwriting the existing set of bookmarks with a previous set.

I therefore offered a workaround involving exporting, not backing up, to an html file—which Firefox names, by default, bookmarks.html—and bookmarking, not restoring from, that file.

In any case, were he to attempt to overwrite his current set with one of the automatic bookmarks-yyyy-mm-dd.json backups—or with any other file, if he selected Choose File... instead—he'd first be presented with a dialog stating This will replace all of your current bookmarks with the backup. Are you sure?

Thanks for clarifying your approach; I didn't read it as he can add new bookmarks to his html file...or is that what you actually said? My suggestion...really an educated guess rather than a wild one, is for kevs to move his current bookmarks to his Desktop and go through the backups one-at-a-time (assuming, of course that he's got multiples), extract whatever he needs from each, and, finally, get them into the Desktop file in the usual manner.

Edit: I wonder what induces Firefox to generate those backups? If it does so every time it quits after a change has been made, for instance, "bookmarkbackups" could get awful large, maybe even relatively quickly.

Last edited by artie505; 10/03/10 11:58 AM.

artie505 #12171 10/03/10 12:38 PM

Quote:
One of the approaches Firefox offers is restoring from an html file...

I think we need to clarify some terms here. Firefox does not offer restoring from an html file, only importing. This distinction is not trivial, it's crucial, for, as you've seen, importing supplements existing bookmarks, whereas restoring overwrites them!

Quote:
I wonder why Firefox has got those [deleted by me] default bookmarks backed up, anyhow?

If you're referring to ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/alphanum.default/bookmarks.html, that's not a backup—it's a template. It's how Firefox generates that default set of bookmarks when first launched.

Quote:
I wonder what induces Firefox to generate those backups? If it does so every time it quits after a change has been made, for instance, "bookmarkbackups" could get awful large, maybe even relatively quickly.

From Backing up and restoring bookmarks: "Firefox automatically creates backups of your bookmarks and saves the last five backups for safekeeping."

dkmarsh #12172 10/03/10 04:35 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks DK, hard to follow a lot of that, but get the gist of you post.

I did find the folder using great software bookdog.

But I'm holding onto your writings in case on day I lose a few folders and want to retrieve it from a backup and re-bookmark.

Pity it cannot act like the finder.

artie505 #12174 10/03/10 05:09 PM

>
I tried restoring from "bookmarks.html," but it only restored all/some of firefox's default bookmark set...nothing I've added since I first launched Firefox.
>

I only assumed Firefox kept its bookmarks in bookmarks.html —and what a wild and crazy assumption that turned out to be. crazy

Anyway, i only keep Firefox around for curious moments like these. Being an iPad+iPod owner, i use Safari so that i can have my bookmarks synced across all such devices. [doesn't look like there will ever be a Firefox for iOS.]

--

The other wild and crazy assumption i made was thinking that a thread entitled "Can spotlight find Web Bookmarks?" was about how to use Spotlight.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/03/10 05:13 PM.
kevs #12175 10/03/10 05:23 PM

I did find the folder using great software bookdog.
Bookdog has a successor, namely BookMacster.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #12179 10/03/10 07:29 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I was on Safari for 5-6 years or more.
So unstable, so many times I had to go to Firefox because of missing buttons etc.
Finally made the big leap. I would never go back to Safari.
Such a pathetic browser.

kevs #12182 10/03/10 09:07 PM

So unstable, so many times I had to go to Firefox because of missing buttons etc.

I'm surprised to hear that. My browser has always been Safari. I keep FireFox handy because I sometimes run across a site that won't interact with Safari but I've certainly never experienced any of the ongoing problems you describe.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 10/04/10 02:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #12183 10/03/10 09:16 PM

I second ryck's statement. I rarely use any other browser than Safari.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #12185 10/03/10 09:49 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tons of times, filling out forms, buying things online. Buttons always missing, very unstable browser.

kevs #12186 10/03/10 09:50 PM

It seems —for a single poster —you must certainly hold the record around here (and MFI iirc) for encountering (and/or perhaps imagining) all sorts of "issues".

Such a pathetic browser.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

kevs #12187 10/03/10 09:55 PM

Tons of times, filling out forms, buying things online. Buttons always missing, very unstable browser.

You are of course a master at webpage design... so you know that the problem lay with Safari, and not some page that strayed afield of proper standards. [perhaps Firefox is more forgiving of poorly coded websites... that doesn't make Safari "unstable".]

Odd how you're suddenly so prolific now.
(usually your posts are as vague as possible).

dkmarsh #12207 10/05/10 03:26 AM

Thanks for the clarification; it's been duly noted.

Edit: I just took a look in App Support and found that Firefox backs up bookmarks according to some indeterminate (*) rule, but without regard to whether anything has changed...not a particularly good strategy in my opinion.

(*) Using Backing up and restoring bookmarks as a starting point for searching has been fruitless.

Last edited by artie505; 10/05/10 03:52 AM.

jchuzi #12208 10/05/10 03:29 AM

Third... Motion carried.

Hal Itosis #12209 10/05/10 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis

It seems —for a single poster —you must certainly hold the record around here (and MFI iirc) for encountering (and/or perhaps imagining) all sorts of "issues".

Such a pathetic browser.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Wholeheartedly second that!

Last edited by artie505; 10/05/10 04:00 AM. Reason: add quote

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard