for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Slow loading avatars
#12100 09/29/10 10:19 PM
OP Online

For the past coupl'a months (give or take) I've been experiencing an intermittent issue wherein after I click on "Submit" the page to which I've posted my response loads immediately except for the avatars which sometimes take in the range of 10-15 seconds to load.

Any ideas?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Slow loading avatars
artie505 #12123 09/30/10 08:05 PM

Hmm. I haven't seen that issue from this end, and there's nothing in the server logs that might indicate a problem.

What ISP are you using? It's possible it could be a routing problem of some sort.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #12129 09/30/10 09:05 PM
OP Online

I'm using Verizon DSL with no apparent issues.

I'll try to remember to make a note of times and details when I see the slow loads; maybe it'll be helpful.

Edit: 6:33:30 PM EDT/"Generated in 0.40 seconds"/Avatars appeared 10-15 secs later.

Last edited by artie505; 09/30/10 09:36 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12136 10/01/10 01:02 AM

FWIW, I haven't seen anything like it either.

alternaut moderator
artie505 #12142 10/01/10 03:15 PM

On occasions when the avatars load slowly, does it take that long for ALL of them to appear, or do some of them appear right away and others appear slowly? Does there seem to be any consistency (eg, certain users' avatars always load slowly)?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it'll help me pin down the problem.

tacit #12144 10/01/10 09:27 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
On occasions when the avatars load slowly, does it take that long for ALL of them to appear, or do some of them appear right away and others appear slowly? Does there seem to be any consistency (eg, certain users' avatars always load slowly)?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it'll help me pin down the problem.

No problem...happy to help.

I'll take notes next time it happens, because I'm not certain whether what I remember at the moment is real or imaginary.

tacit #12390 10/14/10 05:04 AM
OP Online

I just experienced a slow-loading avatar for the first time since I last posted...

After I clicked "Submit" the first three avatars here loaded immediately, but mine took an additional 5 seconds.

artie505 #12400 10/14/10 10:26 AM

I guess the next thing to determine, then, would be whether or not this happens only in threads to which you haven't previously posted.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #12402 10/14/10 10:49 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
I guess the next thing to determine, then, would be whether or not this happens only in threads to which you haven't previously posted.

Suggestion noted... Thanks. (As you can see from the time between my last two posts, the occurrences have been pretty scarce lately, so it'll likely be some time before I have anything to report.)

tacit #12421 10/14/10 09:27 PM
OP Online

Following up on dkmarsh's suggestion...

I just posted to this thread to which I had previously posted, and slolerner's avatar loaded instantly, but both of mine and joemike's took an additional 8-10 seconds to load.

artie505 #12424 10/14/10 10:31 PM

Hmm...seems that both you and joemikeb were "currently online" at the time you posted in the linked thread, but slolerner was not. I suppose it's possible that the lag is not actually in the loading of the avatars, but in the loading of /forums/images/moods/default/content.gif (the "online" emoticon which immediately precedes the avatar in the page source)...or in the process by which the software determines that a currently-online viewer is currently online.

Independent test...

Well, that seems to load instantly.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #12426 10/15/10 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Hmm...seems that both you and joemikeb were "currently online" at the time you posted in the linked thread, but slolerner was not. I suppose it's possible that the lag is not actually in the loading of the avatars, but in the loading of /forums/images/moods/default/content.gif (the "online" emoticon which immediately precedes the avatar in the page source)...or in the process by which the software determines that a currently-online viewer is currently online.

Independent test...

Well, that seems to load instantly.

That's an interesting hypothesis.

I've looked at the avatars themselves and can find nothing about them that should be slow to load. The avatars are small, the system logs show no undue activity trying to access them, and there's nothing in any error logs that indicates a problem with them. I've just loaded the avatars directly and everything loaded quickly.

The hypothesis that the actual problem is with the "online" indicator is an interesting one. I'm going to keep an eye on how quickly the part of the script that checks for online users loads and see if there's anything in the way it executes that might be taking an undue amount of time. I'll keep you posted!

tacit #12429 10/15/10 06:19 AM
OP Online

I'll keep an eye on the "online" indicators and let you know if I learn anything.

artie505 #13926 01/25/11 06:03 AM
OP Online

I'm still experiencing intermittent slow loading of avatars, but I've yet to lock in on an all-inclusive set of circumstances.

I have noticed, though, that when the avatars are slow to load, the "Previous Topic," "Index," and "Next Topic" links at the bottom of the page are sometimes also slow to load.

Edit: Darn... Too many things happen on a (loading) page at the same time! I think I just noticed the "Edit" and other links also loading slowly, too.

Last edited by artie505; 01/25/11 06:06 AM.

artie505 #14012 02/03/11 05:14 AM

Weird. Most likely, those elements (the links at the bottom and so on) are slow loading because the loading of the avatars is jamming up the loading of the entire rest of the page. (Those links should be cached, so should load instantly).

It's always frustrating to try to troubleshoot problems you can't replicate. I poked around with this a couple weeks ago and I'll be deuced if I can see anything wrong.

tacit #14712 03/15/11 08:41 AM
OP Online

Latest update... It hasn't happened very often lately, but I've noticed that when it does, yours and MacManiac's avatars, both of which, I believe, are externally hosted, load quickly, and the others are the slow to load.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard