An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can “Command+” settings be saved in Safari?
#11836 09/17/10 11:18 AM
OP Offline

On my new 27” iMac, all Safari pages read/look as desired, just the way I want them, fonts, etc. But I achieve this nirvana only after I do some tweaking/enlargement via the “Command+” setting.

When I restart Safari, I must again go through the "Command+" routine.

What I desire to do is to “save” the desired/tweaked setting so that it automatically loads upon restarting Safari. Is this doable?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Can “Command+” settings be saved in Safari?
Pendragon #11837 09/17/10 11:28 AM

Sorry if I'm being dense, Harv, but would you please clarify both the "Command + routine" and precisely what it is you hope to achieve?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #11838 09/17/10 11:39 AM

I suspect Harv is using Command-+ (also found under Safari's View menu) to Zoom In, by particular amounts on specific pages, thereby promoting readability.

I know that OmniWeb had the ability to maintain prefs for individual sites, but I don't think there's a way to do that within Safari. As for third-party plug-ins or extensions, I'm not sure.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #11839 09/17/10 11:49 AM
OP Offline

Indeed it is the Zoom to which I was referring.

'Tis hardly a problem that I can't save such a setting, but perhaps some chap or chapette will soon create such an extension.

At least I now know what can't be done. And that is progress.

Thank you both.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #11841 09/17/10 12:17 PM

If what want to do is set your Safari window to one specific size you can try what I've done, i.e. I selected my desired window size by dragging the southeast corner of Safari's window and option-clicked in its top gray bar. (I have my window set for full screen, and that changes only when I open a new window while my Dock is showing.)

Edit: Okay... Sorry, Harv; I understand you better now. My trick may work in conjunction with your changing your font size (Edit:) pref in Safari prefs>Advanced>Never use font sizes smaller than [which apparently requires Universal Access].

You might also try Breeze. (Edit: This will only work on your window...not its included text.)

Last edited by artie505; 09/17/10 12:46 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #11843 09/17/10 01:07 PM

The "Command+" functionality can be placed on the Safari Tool Bar using View > Customize Toolbar. As has been mentioned there is no mechanism for remembering zoom settings for a particular site or page, but I find the toolbar icon easier to use than the keyboard option.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Pendragon #11846 09/17/10 01:45 PM

I'm not entirely clear on whether you're looking to save one "universal" setting that works on all sites (in which case Safari's minimum font setting, described by artie above, may help), or to save individual adjustments that you make to particular sites, which would require some third-party software to save state in a way that Safari doesn't.

A cursory search for the latter suggests that PithHelmet's Site Preferences - Style feature could be employed to this end, but not without perhaps way more work up front than would be justified by the cumulative savings of not having to tweak pages as you go...

dkmarsh #11849 09/17/10 04:23 PM
OP Offline

Yes, the "universal" setting is what I am seeking.

I have tried changing the font size, but I did not like the results.

Alas, doing the "Zoom" routine is (far) not beyond my technical expertise, so for now, I will just get over it.

I was hoping there was some shortcut or third party app that would do what I want. Oh well, maybe in 10.7

Harv

Pendragon #11852 09/17/10 05:02 PM

what would be nice is if Spaces would allow different screen resolution settings per Space. then you could have a Safari "Space" set at a larger screen resolution.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
Pendragon #11863 09/17/10 11:32 PM

> I have tried changing the font size, but I did not like the results.

Did you change your font size in Safari>Prefs>Appearance or in Safari>Prefs>Advanced>Never use font sizes smaller than (...apparently requires Universal Access) as I suggested?

To my eyes, the latter appears to emulate "Zoom" (Edit) although it can't be tuned as finely.

Last edited by artie505; 09/18/10 12:51 AM.

artie505 #11865 09/18/10 12:22 AM

Quote:
...(...apparently requires Universal Access)...

I don't think Never use font sizes smaller than requires Universal Access (in fact I don't even know what that would mean, since Universal Access isn't a tool which is toggled on and off, but instead a collection of such tools); rather, it provides Universal Access, as do the tools managed via the Universal Access prefpane.

It would certainly be less confusing were Apple to have used the term Accessibility instead in the Safari pref.

dkmarsh #11866 09/18/10 12:56 AM

I was thinking of had "Universal Access" confused with "Enable access for assistive devices" (which is toggled on and off), and you're right on the mark about Apple's poor choice of words.

Last edited by artie505; 09/18/10 08:44 AM.

artie505 #11867 09/18/10 01:58 AM

Just to be clear, the Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Never use font sizes smaller than feature does not require the System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Enable access for assistive devices checkbox to be checked. Whew!

dkmarsh #11870 09/18/10 05:48 AM

That's what I said was trying to say, albeit perhaps not as explicitly as I might have, but thanks for the backup.

Last edited by artie505; 09/18/10 08:45 AM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard