for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safari 5.0.1 and Google Maps Street View
#11732 09/10/10 07:38 PM
OP Offline

I just noticed that Safari 5.0.1* won't show Street View in Google Maps on my iMac G5 iSight running Mac OS 10.5.8. I haven't had problems with Street View before, but then again I haven't used it in a while. The last time probably was with Safari 4.x.

As it is now, you can drag the yellow viewpoint manikin to any of the available positions, but then nothing happens other than that the manikin vanishes some 10 seconds or so later from where I parked it. It doesn't 'snap back' to its normal position on top of the magnification bar: that position remains grey, indicating Street View is in use.

Initially I suspected an issue with the iMac or its config, but a quick check on my wife's MBP (early 2008) running 10.5.8 as well produced the same issue. My next test was with Firefox (3.6.9), and here Street View works fine on both Macs. So it seems like Safari is somehow involved in this.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

*) I haven't yet updated to Safari 5.0.2, because I prefer to wait a week or two in order to avoid possible issues with any new version.

alternaut moderator
Re: Safari 5.0.1 and Google Maps Street View
alternaut #11737 09/10/10 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
As it is now, you can drag the yellow viewpoint manikin to any of the available positions, but then nothing happens other than that the yellow manikin vanishes some 10 seconds or so later from where I parked it. It doesn't 'snap back' to its normal position on top of the magnification bar: that position remains grey, indicating Street View is in use.

Initially I suspected an issue with the iMac or its config, but a quick check on my wife's MBP (early 2008) running 10.5.8 as well produced the same issue. My next test was with Firefox (3.6.9), and here Street View works fine on both Macs. So it seems like Safari is somehow involved with this.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

I have now. Confirmed exactly as quoted.... except i'm using Safari 5.0.2 in 10.6.4

[i usually use Google Maps (the App) on my iPad, and hadn't ever tried Safari on either. I can check Safari on the iPad later, but my new MBP behaves exactly as you say above.]

EDIT/BTW: the desktop app was updated yesterday, FWIW.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 09/10/10 09:09 PM.
Hal Itosis #11739 09/10/10 10:18 PM
OP Offline

Update: it doesn't look like Safari's the culprit after all. StreetView works fine on my daughter's MB under 10.5.8 and Safari 5.0.1, as well as under certain user accounts on the affected Macs. Turns out that StreetView is Flash-based and, wouldn't you know, the affected users have Click2Flash installed. Hence the solution: adding maps.google.com * to Click2Flash's whitelist.

*) The .com domain works for the US, users in other countries may have to use their local maps.google.xyz domains. Yet others may try to whitelist maps.gstatic.com.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #11751 09/11/10 05:40 AM

Bitten by Flash again!!! mad

Right you are.
Whitelisting maps.google.com now . . . thanks.

--

PS: i installed the Google Earth desktop app, played around while observing its activity with Little Snitch and fseventer. After 20 minutes i removed every trace of it from my Mac.

What an oinker. [hog]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 09/11/10 05:45 AM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard