for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Going through batteries pretty fast....
#11486 08/17/10 05:47 PM
OP Offline

3 years ago, while preparing a surprise iMac installation for mom for Christmas, while transferring apps and files over firewire, I poured a huge mug of tea right into the MacBook Pro. I assumed I had killed it, but immediately shut down, drained tea, blew out liquid with compressed air, applied hair dryer.... Had to replace keyboard and one fan, but machine is still going strong. Still runs hot (fan comes on regularly after about 30'of use) but I deal with that by using various cooling devices.... Only remaining issue is that it goes through batteries in about 12 months. By perhaps 2 months after installation, they begin to discharge quickly and I get perhaps 3 hours max. iStat will tell me that battery is down to perhaps 50% and "Battery condition" shows "Replace Soon". In another six months I am down to 2 hours, 30% and "Replace Now". While I am willing to live with the condition rather than get rid of an otherwise fine (and expensive) machine, now that I am in the States, is there some piece of hardware I should consider replacing?

MacBook Pro 15" (2.33 Intel Duo/3GB/667MHz/120GB/10.6.8),
MacBook 13" (2.1 Intel Duo/3GB/667MHz/120GB/10.6.8),
PowerBook G4 12" (1.5 PowerPC/768MB/70GB/10.4.11),
Various LaCie Firewire HDs, Airport Extreme, Express
Re: Going through batteries pretty fast....
spmcc123 #11504 08/18/10 10:01 PM

spmcc123,

In case it might be relevant, might you let other readers know what replacement battery / batteries you have purchased for the MacBook Pro?

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
spmcc123 #11506 08/18/10 10:48 PM

Power management chips are very high on the list of components damaged by liquid, due to the large amount of power they handle, plus the fact that they're energized even when the computer is off, AND when the main battery is removed. (due to backup battery, usually very inconveniently located under optical drive or logic board)

The system that charges the battery is probably damaged and is not smart charging it anymore, leading to reduced battery life. That would be an abuse-replacement of a logic board, which is silly expensive.

Best thing you can do if that's the case is leave the main battery out when it's fully charged. Only put it in when going mobile and to recharge it. Consider yourself lucky... a LOT of them simply won't CHARGE the battery at all anymore. (or power on for that matter, more often)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
dianne #11529 08/20/10 11:27 PM
OP Offline

Diane - The current battery seems to be a standard Apple Li-Ion (Model No: A1175 10.8V, 60 Wh) bought at the Apple store in Abu Dhabi.

Virtual1 - should I understand that the power management chip is not independently replaceable? that I would need to replace the entire logic board? And you are recommending that I charge the battery, take it out when fully charged (and run the laptop off the power supply), and put the battery in only when I need to use the laptop away from the power supply?

Yes, I realize I was incredibly lucky to come away from the tea experience with a working laptop at all! It has now been three years; one more and I figure I will retire this Book and upgrade...

MacBook Pro 15" (2.33 Intel Duo/3GB/667MHz/120GB/10.6.8),
MacBook 13" (2.1 Intel Duo/3GB/667MHz/120GB/10.6.8),
PowerBook G4 12" (1.5 PowerPC/768MB/70GB/10.4.11),
Various LaCie Firewire HDs, Airport Extreme, Express
spmcc123 #11542 08/21/10 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: spmcc123
Virtual1 - should I understand that the power management chip is not independently replaceable? that I would need to replace the entire logic board? And you are recommending that I charge the battery, take it out when fully charged (and run the laptop off the power supply), and put the battery in only when I need to use the laptop away from the power supply?

Correct, correct, and yes.

There are companies that make drop-in chargers for said batteries also.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard