for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Magic Mouse Oversensitive in Java Applications
#11399 08/09/10 07:54 PM
OP Offline

Don't get me wrong I love my Magic Mouse but I have some stand alone Java applications, not Java or Javascript applets running in a browser, I use every day, NeoOffice and Moneydance, and in those applications the Magic Mouse scrolling is so sensitive it is almost impossible to select an item in a list or accurately select a block of text. In System Preferences > Mouse I have set the scrolling speed to the slowest setting and turned off momentum, but that does not seem to have any effect in either application. In NeoOffice I selected "Ignore trackpad gestures" in hopes it would solve the problem -- no joy.

AFICT this only happens in Java applications but it happens in every Java application I have tried. The only thing I have found that works is to turn scrolling off in System Preferences > Mouse, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the Mighty Mouse in the first place. I checked the Apple Discussions, but so far I have not found where the Mighty Mouse is lodged in those forums, but I have submitted a bug report to Apple Feedback.

I have three questions for this forum:
  1. Has anyone else encountered this phenominum in Java applications?
  2. If so have you found a solution other than disabling Might Mouse scrolling?
  3. Even if you haven't run into this, do you have any suggestions for a better solution?
This is becoming annoying!

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/10/10 04:03 PM. Reason: correct mouse type

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Mighty Mouse Oversensitive in Java Applications
joemikeb #11403 08/10/10 09:46 AM

I don't have a Mighty Mouse, and AFAIK I use no Java apps (having found the NeoOffice interface excessively complex for my simple Mac mind wink ), but I'd think taking the excellent shareware USB Overdrive for a spin might be worthwhile; you can configure mouse behavior on a per-application basis, and you can test USB Overdrive's entire feature set, unrestricted, to see if it meets your needs before paying the shareware fee of US $20.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Re: Magic Mouse Oversensitive in Java Applications
dkmarsh #11405 08/10/10 02:26 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the advice. I have always used USB Overdrive in the past but unfortunately according to Levi Alessandro's web site...
Originally Posted By: Levi Alessandro
Apple Magic Mouse update: I've been working hard on the device and I now know how it works. I am writing a lot of code to support it properly and I will post a new version as soon as it is ready. Until then, please be aware that without specific support the Magic Mouse is a two buttons mouse with no scroll wheel. The current version of the USB Overdrive handles it as any other mouse so you lose both the scroll wheel and the ability to configure gestures using Apple's own drivers. The good news is that this mouse can do a lot more than basic gestures, and I'll do my best to make it even more magic
Which, for the moment, leaves me no better off than I am with Apple's drivers, but eagerly anticipating a Magic Mouse compatible version of USB Ovewrdrive tongue

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/10/10 04:07 PM. Reason: Correct mouse type

— Albert Einstein
Re: Mighty Mouse Oversensitive in Java Applications
joemikeb #11406 08/10/10 03:53 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I'm confused. Are you having trouble with a Mighty Mouse or a Magic Mouse?

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #11407 08/10/10 04:07 PM
OP Offline

blush blush blush
Color me embarrassed! I have been thinking Magic Mouse and writing Mighty Mouse. I went back and corrected my posts hopefully I didn't confuse any one too much.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #11408 08/10/10 04:16 PM

Since I don't have a Magic Mouse myself, I can't test this but have you tried MagicPrefs?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #11409 08/10/10 06:54 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Jon, MagicPrefs has at least provided a workaround. Among the options is an ability to disable or enable one finger, two finger, or three finger scrolling. Disabling one finger scrolling and enabling two finger helps prevent the jumpiness I was experiencing from inadvertent movements of my finger on the top of the Magic Mouse. I'm not sure I am completely happy with having to use two fingers for all scrolling, but at least it is a workaround. Gaining the ability to zoom in and out with a finger pinch or spread as on the iPhone is a nice bonus. There is also a touch sensitivity adjustment and I am going to see if that will let me go back to one finger scrolling without Java hypersensitivity.

I would still like to know why that hypersensitivity only appears in Java applications.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #11410 08/10/10 07:24 PM

On a related topic, how often do you change batteries in the Magic Mouse? I liked it when I tried it at an Apple store but I have hesitated to buy one because of the battery issue. If Apple made a wired Magic Mouse, I would get it in a heartbeat.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #11411 08/11/10 03:08 AM
OP Offline

First let me thank you for the pointer to MagicPrefs. It appears to do everything Apple has promised for the Magic Mouse "in a future update" and at least for now it appears to have solved my jumpy Magic Mouse in Java applications. Dialing down the sensitivity appears to have been the key. My wife took one look at MagicPrefs and said, "I want that on my MacMini - NOW!" After 50+ years of marriage I know what "NOW" means. Now - we both have MagicPrefs.

As far as Magic Mouse batteries go, I find regular Duracel AA batteries last anywhere from four to six weeks. My wife typically gets a week or two or more battery life than I do but I have a friend who often gets a week or two less than I do. The only difference I can account for is how much each of use uses our Magic Mouse which is a function of our personal work styles. The batteries in the wireless keyboard seem to last at least twice as long - go figure.

As a dedicated gadget freak, I got Apple's new "green" battery charger last week which comes with six NiMH AAs and I have two in the Magic Mouse now. Of course I haven't had them long enough to get any idea of how long they will last between charges. However I noticed when I put in a freshly charged set of the NiMHs they only indicate around 68% charge while the Duracel alkalines typically will show very close to 100%. I surmise this is because of the way the battery level is measured, and NiMH delivers slightly less voltage than alkaline batteries do. As of yet I have no idea what this means for time between charges but my suspicion is I will have to be recharging more often than I have been replacing.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #11414 08/11/10 09:42 AM

Quote:
...my suspicion is I will have to be recharging more often than I have been replacing.

Perhaps not. NiMH rechargeables may start with lower rated capacity, but they have a much "flatter" discharge rate than throwaway alkalines. (Although this chart compares batteries with the same initial capacity, it's pretty easy to see that an NiMH rechargeable of a lower capacity could still outperform the alkaline.)

And in any event, think of it as recharging rather than discarding. smile

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #11416 08/11/10 03:57 PM
OP Offline

It will be interesting to find out. I will post back here as things develop. smile

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard