for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
COMPLETELY disable keyboard during SS
#11354 08/06/10 12:32 AM
OP Offline

my cats like to sit/walk on my keyboard when I'm out of the room. (y'know, cats and warm stuff to sit on)

I have made it a habit to turn on my screensaver when I leave my computer, and it's set to get a pw when it is woke, so that stops random posts to chat rooms etc, but they are still hitting my F keys and doing things like turning on itunes, adjusting volume, and tonight they apparently found how to open the Sound control panel while I was mowing the lawn.

I don't see an option to disable f-keys during screensaver. Is it possible?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: COMPLETELY disable keyboard during SS
Virtual1 #11356 08/06/10 12:42 AM

I know it's a pain in the patootie (and likely not what you're looking for), but how about yanking the keyboard's USB cord, batteries or flipping its power switch, whichever applies? smirk

PS, your cat(s) accessing Sound control is hilarious. Like one of mine plucking the carpet in front of the closed bedroom door... mad wink

PS2, if you've got a laptop, start saving for a new carpet.

alternaut moderator
Virtual1 #11358 08/06/10 01:50 AM

Well, you could always make it a habit to lock your screen when you're out of the room. Checking the Keychain Access -> Preferences -> Show Status in Menu Bar checkbox puts a padlock icon among your menu extras; the first menu item is Lock Screen. Screen saver starts immediately.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #11363 08/06/10 11:04 AM

And then, there are always the hard/acrylic keyboard covers: http://www.viziflex.com/store/template.cfm/ses_/c,list,x,44,441,x/Retail%2FPOS:%20Protection/Pet%20Proof/

Though that may preclude the next Great American Novel. frown

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #11366 08/06/10 04:39 PM

The Apple wireless keyboard has an off/on switch.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
dkmarsh #11390 08/08/10 12:11 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Well, you could always make it a habit to lock your screen when you're out of the room. Checking the Keychain Access -> Preferences -> Show Status in Menu Bar checkbox puts a padlock icon among your menu extras; the first menu item is Lock Screen. Screen saver starts immediately.

That's what I'm already doing. the F keys do not trip the screensaver password box even. They just function as usual, which was a bit surprising. I can somewhat see the screen brightness being immune, but itunes play?

Yes, this is a laptop, cannot turn off or unplug keyboard.

And incidentally, I've gone one step quicker on starting my screensaver with lock. I have a dock item I can click that immediately starts the locked screensaver.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard