Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cannot connect with internet at hotel
#10670 06/21/10 10:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm at NYC hotel. TheoOnly have ethernet in rooms. Does not work, tried two cables and I tried another room.
MUst be settings. I ran through automatic and some of the drop downs in network setting -- don't understand it.
They say it should all work perfectly and they have not a clue what to do.
any ideas? thanks!

(wifi working in lobby)

Re: Cannot connect with internet at hotel
kevs #10671 06/21/10 10:16 PM

First thing I'd try is plug the ethernet cable into your Mac again, launch SysPrefs > Network, and see if Ethernet reports that it is connected.

(I have no idea if this makes any difference, but have you tried turning airport off when you've got the ethernet cable plugged in?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #10676 06/22/10 02:45 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, yes airport if off, ethernet wont connect.

kevs #10677 06/22/10 02:48 PM

The first thing I would check is System Preferences > Network to be sure that ethernet is not only connected, is it enabled in the list of possible connections. If ethernet does not appear on the list of network connections, click on the plus (+) sign at the bottom of the connections list and add ethernet.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #10682 06/22/10 08:50 PM

are you getting an ip address and router? tried plugging ingto another jack somewhere else like in another room? they may need to reboot their router. I ran into that recently, router would hand out ip addresses but not network any new machines attached. others that were working were fine. weird.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #10683 06/22/10 09:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe,
not sure understood you, ethernet is clearly one of the choices I've made. I'ts listed in the left hand column.
Virtual, I've tried another room. They claim everyone else is doing ok, yet my Mac if fine, they are either idiots or there is some complex setting I need to know.

kevs #10684 06/22/10 10:23 PM

I am assuming you are using OS X 10.6. If you are using 10.4 or 10.5 the location of this information will be slightly different.
  1. Go to System Preferences > Network and select Ethernet in the left hand pane.
  2. At that point you should see a Status: If it is anything other than Connected it means your Mac is, for whatever reason, not seeing the ethernet. If it is connected then for Configure IPv4 should be set to Using DHCP.
  3. If all is connected at this point you should have an IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Router address.
If you have those let us know what those addresses are so we can determine if they are actually being received from the hotel's router or are defaults generated within your system.

One other thing to try is opening your browser and see if you get a logon screen from the hotel's network. Sometimes that can take what seems a long time to show up.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10690 06/23/10 12:58 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, on 10.6
I get nothing for ethernet, zero -- with cable in room.
in Lobby get wifi fine.
Other people are doing fine in hotel with cable.
So I am a boat lost at sea until someone can tell me what setting to change.

kevs #10694 06/23/10 07:11 PM

Don't confuse the WiFi connection with ethernet. They are mechanically/electrically two entirely different things. If System Preferences > Network is not showing a connection, then you have a hardware problem that will not be solved with a setting in software. Some possibilities are:
  • A "hung" ethernet port. Depending on the model Mac you have you may be able to "reset" the port by
    1. disconnecting from ethernet and any other external USB or firewire devices,
    2. disconnecting the power adaptor,
    3. and removing the battery for severeal minutes to allow the capacitors in the various ports to discharge,
    4. replacing the battery,
    5. plugging in the power adaptor,
    6. plugging in the ethernet,
    7. starting up the Mac.
  • A bad ethernet cable. I know you have tried two cables but have you tried a known good cable that works on someone else's PC or Mac?
  • A bad ethernet port on your Mac. What kind of a Mac do you have? Does it require an ethernet adapter?
  • A bad ethernet adaptor. I have a MacBook Air and they require a USB to ethernet adaptor. I went through a couple before I got one that worked reliably.
  • The ethernet adaptor chip in you Mac is fried. If you have a laptop fixing that will require a new logic board (hope you have Applecare) or purchasing a USB to Ethernet adaptor.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10696 06/23/10 10:44 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe, thanks, new news:
A client came up to my hotel room with same exact laptop and connected to that ethernet cable fine.
The setting looked the same as what I have.
Note: I did not buy apple care, but my laptop is just couple years old and in perfect mint condition. Never even used the ethernet until now. What you think?

kevs #10712 06/25/10 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
What you think?
What I think is...
  1. You haven't tried resetting the ports as I suggested in my previous post
  2. Your firewire port may well be damaged
  3. I would at least have the Genius desk take a look at it and see what they think and/or offer in the way of repairs.
  4. Since you do not have Applecare a USB to ethernet adaptor is a LOT cheaper than a new logic board. Apple sells a decent one for $29.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10714 06/25/10 06:02 AM

Quote:
What I think is...
You haven't tried resetting the ports as I suggested in my previous post

Now why does that sound familiar? wink

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #10725 06/25/10 12:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe, cool.
I'll continue with this when I get home in two days.
Firewire bad? but this is the ethernet port.
Artie: resetting the ports, that went over my head a bit.

kevs #10728 06/25/10 05:10 PM

Hmm? I wrote firewire but I meant ethernet. My mistake. shocked

— Albert Einstein
kevs #10741 06/26/10 07:23 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Artie: resetting the ports, that went over my head a bit.

Naaah!

Having read every one of your FTM posts and many of your MFIF posts I'd be willing to bet that your tech savvy far surpasses that necessary for following these instructions:

Quote:
A "hung" ethernet port. Depending on the model Mac you have you may be able to "reset" the port by
  • disconnecting from ethernet and any other external USB or firewire devices,
  • disconnecting the power adaptor, and removing the battery for severeal minutes to allow the capacitors in the various ports to discharge,
  • replacing the battery,
  • plugging in the power adaptor,
  • plugging in the ethernet,
  • starting up the Mac.

And, under any circumstances, even if the instructions are beyond you, the polite thing to do would have been to respond thusly to joemike rather than to ignore his helpful advice in favor of an anecdote.

joemikeb #10743 06/26/10 10:17 AM

> Depending on the model Mac you have you may be able to "reset" the port by...

That just jelled in my head. Does it mean that the ports on some Macs are reset by a different procedure or that they cannot be reset, and will you please spell out the criteria that distinguish those Macs?

Thanks.

artie505 #10745 06/26/10 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
>That just jelled in my head. Does it mean that the ports on some Macs are reset by a different procedure or that they cannot be reset, and will you please you spell out the criteria that distinguish those Macs?

The difference is whether or not the Mac in question has a backup battery. If there is one then it has to be removed as well. SInce I have no idea what Mac Keys has I have no way of knowing if there is a backup battery or not or how to go about removing it if there is one. Rather than confuse the issue for someone who is perhaps a bit less technically inclined, I chose the simplest solution in hopes that it might work.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10747 06/26/10 03:54 PM

Got it! Thanks.

artie505 #10785 06/29/10 12:42 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe,
got home, just tried with fresh cable, cannot connect with Ethernet.
Only thing on your list I may try is to -- remove battery, how hard is that? I have no idea where it is.
I wish I had tested the port when I bought it, but had no need/ idea.

kevs #10786 06/29/10 12:52 AM

> Only thing on your list I may try is to -- remove battery, how hard is that? I have no idea where it is.

That is NOT!!!!!! a list of alternative procedures.

The 6 steps, done in order, are ONE!!! procedure.

Odds are you'll find an alias at the root of your HD... "User Guides And Information." Double-click on it and one of the items you'll see is "MacBook Pro Users Guide" (or some-such); in it you'll find instructions for removing your Mac's battery.

artie505 #10794 06/29/10 09:44 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ART,
you think removing battery will do anything. I think it's a huge longshot.

Is this odd that the ethernet is not working? LIke I said, the unit is in mint condition. First time even tried the ethernet.

kevs #10797 06/29/10 10:20 PM

You just don't get it, kevs...

Removing the battery will do absolutely nothing as relates to your issue!

But, if you go through the entire procedure outlined by joemike, of which removing the battery is only part of one step, you may succeed in resetting your ethernet port and regaining its use.

But, you've got to go through joemike's entire procedure (Looking at it again, I see that he left out a step, between the first two, namely "Shut down your Mac."):
  • disconnecting from ethernet and any other external USB or firewire devices,
  • disconnecting the power adaptor, and removing the battery for severeal minutes to allow the capacitors in the various ports to discharge,
  • replacing the battery,
  • plugging in the power adaptor,
  • plugging in the ethernet,
  • starting up the Mac.
Get it now?

> Is this odd that the ethernet is not working? LIke I said, the unit is in mint condition. First time even tried the ethernet.

Nothing's odd with electronics as complicated as your MacBook Pro. By way of example, my first iBook was an "open-box" purchase that had had a bad modem straight out of the box. Had the original purchaser waited a year or two before using that modem se'd be asking the same question you just asked, and you're not even necessarily looking at a bad component.

Last edited by artie505; 06/29/10 10:29 PM. Reason: Add "Shut Down"

artie505 #10798 06/29/10 11:21 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Will do and report back Major/Captian ARt!
(I know you are tough -- it's worth the result hopefully!)

kevs #10799 06/30/10 01:36 AM

Good luck, kevs! smile

kevs #10801 06/30/10 06:38 PM

A co-worker had an issue like this. It was the switch that was being used, the MacBook couldn't autoset the proper settings for a connection. He needed to go into Ethernet Advanced and in the Ethernet settings tab change the configure from automatic to manual, then change the speed to one of the other settings (I don't recall which one) to make the port see the connection.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard