Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can get a pdf from this link?
#10608 06/19/10 12:12 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I can only seems to get a web archive, not a pdf, doing a save as:

We are pleased to offer the Back Stage Insider's Guide to LA Acting Schools & Coaches. This guide includes a list of Los Angeles-area stage and film acting schools, teachers, and coaches organized by category.

Click the link below to view your free PDF!
http://nielsencomm.net/r/?ZXU=1214516&ZXD=419332340

Last edited by dianne; 06/19/10 09:25 PM. Reason: moved from Mac OS X Applications to Networking.
Re: Can get a pdf from this link?
kevs #10614 06/19/10 09:11 AM

I can't solve this for you but I can confirm it. I tried to save it as a PDF via the Print dialog but the built-in preview showed two blank pages. Going to PDF>Save as PDF produced a PDF that also had two blank pages. I can't even print the page directly.

Someone else will have to give a definitive answer but it looks to me as if that web page is wonky.

EDIT: I opened the page in Camino and was able to use the Save As PDF feature of the Print dialog box. But, the page did not appear as if it were a PDF (as it did in Safari). The same happened with Firefox.

Last edited by jchuzi; 06/19/10 10:35 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
kevs #10616 06/19/10 02:46 PM

Hmm? Someone is getting tricky with this page. This page does not download to my computer as a PDF. It is downloading as an image on the web page. If I attempt to print it using the standard Safari print command, I get the blank page you and Jon mentioned. However, I noticed at that bottom of the site page a tool bar with a printer icon on it. When I click on that icon, not the Safari print icon, there is a delay of a few seconds with a note to the effect the print is being prepared. Then the normal printer dialog appears and I can print to the printer or I can print to PDF and either one works perfectly.

I haven't gone rummaging through the code for the page to see what is going on and I don't know if this is a Flash image or HTML 5 that is generating the screen image and print image. It could easily be either, but it doesn't "feel" like Flash.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #10618 06/19/10 02:56 PM

To understand how this particular site works, you might want to click the question mark tab in the toolbar at the bottom of the page. Using the appropriate tool you may print individual pages of a publication, or download them in their entirety. However, you may need a subscription to view or download material from different publications accessible via this site.

While you cannot print the entire 'page'* to PDF in the regular way you tried, you can do so with individual articles. The site has a built-in Reader function (as in Safari 5), and clicking on eligible items at the low-mag view will bring up a Reader window with a grey window bar at the top and a close button (X) at the top right. These windows can be printed to PDF.

*) The page is in fact an overview of a multiple page publication, with a larger window-fitting version of the page selected in the center, and the other pages represented as thumbnails in the column on the right. If you print to PDF at this view, you're going to get that empty page. Things get different when you click on that low-mag page in the center of the page. You either get an enlargement of it, or a new Reader-like window. Both can in fact print to PDF, but depending on the effect of your click you may get a bunch of thumbnails, a representation of that selected central page, or a magnified portion of it.

alternaut moderator
jchuzi #10620 06/19/10 03:15 PM

If you view the source code of the page, it looks like it uses javascript to load images from a different site and render them to look as if it were a pdf file loading. Nowhere did i see where it loaded a .pdf file

...JER (-: >
joemikeb #10625 06/19/10 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
However, I noticed at that bottom of the site page a tool bar with a printer icon on it. When I click on that icon, not the Safari print icon, there is a delay of a few seconds with a note to the effect the print is being prepared.
There's something else that I just noticed, after reading your post. If you hover the mouse over the print icon, a submenu appears with two choices. Click the one that says Print Page and then select your desired paper size from the popup menu (A4 appears to be the default but you can change it to Letter). Then, click Print and the rest happens as you describe.

I don't know why the page looks entirely different in Camino and Firefox.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #10641 06/20/10 02:10 AM

Quote:
I don't know why the page looks entirely different in Camino and Firefox.
Probably because of varying support for HTML 5.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10687 06/23/10 12:20 AM

This is a weird page. First, the link provided ends up as a totally different page with a different URL. None of the browsers I tried would save the screen as the right pdf - either it is blank or cropped with only side pictures visible. Even my trusted iCab that has an option of saving the site as pdf ends up with a blank page.
P.S. When I click on downloads in any browser nothing happens. I think, this site is only for an e-reader.

Last edited by macnerd10; 06/23/10 12:37 AM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
macnerd10 #10695 06/23/10 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
I think, this site is only for an e-reader.
Which is essentially what Alternaut said and I implied in our replies.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard