Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Safari 5, first impressions
jchuzi #10560 06/16/10 12:33 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Here's another wrinkle: If you use the CM to Mark Page For Snapback, it only works if you use that CM and click Snapback. If you go to the SnapBack icon instead, it goes back to the original page in that tab.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
dkmarsh #10561 06/16/10 07:10 PM

Quote:
[Aside to artie: with forums (such as those at MacRumors) using vBulletin software, you can link directly to individual posts by clicking on the post number itself and copying the resulting URL, e.g. post #11 here.]

cool ...Thanks.

I don't see any indication as to which software MacRumors uses, but I guess the appearance speaks for itself?

You'd think there'd be some indication that the post number is a link; I don't find it all that intuitive.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #10562 06/16/10 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Here's another wrinkle: If you use the CM to Mark Page For Snapback, it only works if you use that CM and click Snapback. If you go to the SnapBack icon instead, it goes back to the original page in that tab.

Why would you expect otherwise? The two extensions are unrelated entities.

But that's precisely why I said "Paired with the previously linked extension it actually surpasses Apple's original SnapBack functionality [....]

In combination, the two extensions allow you to have two different SnapBack "targets" in the same "chain." cool

I'll still miss the key combos, but if I try the extensions and like what I see I'll finally make the switch (and save Hal from the agony of waiting for me to report that I tripped over one of the security patches I've been so blithely ignoring).

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #10564 06/16/10 11:32 PM

artie505,
Originally Posted By: artie505
(Can key combos can be implemented in an extension?)
Might your MacBook have a multi function trackpad?

If so, does the extension provided at the MacRumors site meet your needs if you use a two finger tap to bring up the contextual menu for
  • Mark Page for SnapBack
  • Page SnapBack
Originally Posted By: artie505
. . . command-option-P and command-option-K functionality . . . .
In short, might a two finger tap substitute for your desire to use keyboard shortcuts?

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #10591 06/18/10 05:48 AM

> In short, might a two finger tap substitute for your desire to use keyboard shortcuts?

Thanks for the thought, dianne, but, in short... No.

I'll go the two-extension route just so I can upgrade to Snow Leopard, but I won't be happy having to take two actions to accomplish the same thing formerly accomplished by one (although I'll enjoy the added functionality the combination of the two extensions will deliver...if I actually remember to use it).

(I haven't got a multi-function trackpad, but even if I had one I'd go the control-click route, anyhow.)

artie505 #10667 06/21/10 08:09 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Three Safari 5 secrets. I just added a refresh button to the toolbar (very handy).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #10669 06/21/10 10:02 PM

This is different... Apple's SnapBack took me back to my original position in the Forums index page and did not refresh the red, unread post numbers; the contextual menu SnapBack extension takes me to the top of the page (...pain in the neck when I'm going through VersionTracker) and refreshes the numbers.

(It'll take some doing getting used to this new configuration, and it'll never equal the original key command functionality, but... Oh, well; I am finally running Snow Leopard.)

Edit: I just discovered that the CM extension allows me to have a different SnapBack target in each open tab, just like the original; I was afraid I'd be limited to just one target for all of Safari.. Yay!

Last edited by artie505; 06/22/10 03:43 AM. Reason: Pain in the neck...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard