An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MobileMe, max # screen names per account?
#991 08/12/09 08:48 PM
OP Offline

An elderly neighbor, even erderlyer than moi, has a MobileMe account which she uses fairly well. Now, she would like to have an additional screen name so she'll be able to determine if incoming mail is from a friend or elsewhere.

And as I know nada re MobleMe, can she have more than one screen name, and if so, how is it set up?

Last edited by dianne; 08/12/09 09:02 PM. Reason: duplicate post closed.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: MobileMe, max # screen names per account?
Pendragon #994 08/12/09 09:09 PM

Yes your neighbor can have up to five MobileMe email aliases. To create aliases...
  1. Logon to her MobileMe account online which automatically opens the Mail window.
  2. On the online mail toolbar click on the icon that is a gear with a down arrow to get to tool menu.
  3. Near the bottom of the list click on preferences
  4. On the preferences tool bar click on the Aliases icon (a blue circle with a white @ symbol in the center
  5. After that it is pretty self-explanatory
NOTE: the colors assigned to aliases only work with the MobileMe webmail interface. She won't see the colors in Mail on her Mac unless she creates rules to highlight the different aliases in different colors.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Pendragon #995 08/12/09 09:22 PM

Pendragon and joemikeb,

With apologies for my error in closing this post with a reply. I will close the “other” duplicate.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #1001 08/12/09 09:30 PM
OP Offline

I'll try the instructions this evening. Many thanks (from both of us).

P.S. Alas, creating new accounts was not to be. At least not yet.

My neighbor insists she be part of all computer activities so that she can learn how to do them herself. But she was not feeling up to the task, so it was deferred for a few days. Still, we enjoyed a glass of wine.

Last edited by Pendragon; 08/13/09 11:24 AM.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #1056 08/13/09 01:52 PM

Some other providers also have similar options. Gmail iirc allows you to add a plus (+) to your address and add anything after that, and it will be delivered to your main account. It's not necessary to define these new addresses. YourAddress+anything is always delivered to YourAddress.

I use a similar thing on my mailserver but not wildcarded, to determine where spam is originally obtaining my address from, but I expect the spammers will have mostly already accounted for gmail's plus trick and are trimming it off before adding to their list.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard