FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Network settings
#928 08/12/09 03:57 AM
Gene Offline OP
OP Offline

On my G-4 PowerBook, whenever I open System Preferences and click on Network, a popup panel emerges saying that "Your network settings have been changed by another application." The only choice is to click on OK. If that is done, the popup disappears for less than a second, then returns, making it nearly impossible to work with Newwork settings.

Does anyone know what causes this and/or how to prevent it?

Re: Network settings
Gene #929 08/12/09 05:02 AM

Read this post on MacOSXhints.

MacBook Pro, 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD, OSX 10.6.8
Gene #956 08/12/09 02:01 PM

If you don’t mind resetting your Network Settings, (passwords, etc.) you can delete the following files and set it up again:

In the Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder delete the following:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

Or you can set up a new user, change the network settings and the delete the new user.

Gene #959 08/12/09 03:50 PM

Gene the issue you posted is a well know problem with Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger). But I have heard of one or two incidents of it in Leopard (OS X 10.5.x). For the record, which version of OS X are you running?

By-the-way, in the future it is always a good idea when you post to include the OS X version you are running. It can make a significant difference in troubleshooting and how and were repairs are made.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
M. Lisa Colvin #1028 08/13/09 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: M. Lisa Colvin
If you don’t mind resetting your Network Settings, (passwords, etc.) you can delete the following files and set it up again:

Or, if you're one of those odd birds who subscribe to the strange notion that simply re-typing your password is a LOT easier than re-typing everything, passwords included, then follow the instructions on the aforementioned link:
  • Lock the padlock in any other pane of System Preferences (the Security pane is a good place) before going to the Network pane.
  • Go to the Network pane (the locked padlock will forestall the dreaded message).
  • Unlock the padlock. (That's OK, now that you're on the Network pane. The message only happens if the padlock is already unlocked on arrival there.)
  • Scan all of your settings (not just the active location) looking at each PPP or PPPoE pane of every interface, looking for where you have "Save password" checked. Where it's checked (typically only one or two places), uncheck it and re-type the password (which will cause it to be re-checked).
That's it. Each saved password needs this treatment only once. The repair is permanent. You can leave the padlock unlocked if you desire.

No files to remove. No complicated network settings to remember and re-enter. You do have to re-enter your passwords, but you'd have to do that anyway.

Originally Posted By: M. Lisa Colvin
Or you can set up a new user, change the network settings and the delete the new user.
That won't work. The old user will still have the original problem.

joemikeb #1029 08/13/09 05:25 AM
Gene Offline OP
OP Offline

I know; I really do. And I realized I had not included the OS as soon as I sent the message. FYI, it's 10.4.11.

ganbustein #1030 08/13/09 05:28 AM
Gene Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks very much. This worked like a charm. Just learning that by locking something else the popup would go away is an enormous convenience, which I would never have figured out on my own.

ganbustein #1034 08/13/09 07:04 AM

Excellent and simple! Why don't write a post in the FAQ section? We still get questions like this.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard