FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: We're back up and running...
MacManiac #10121 05/24/10 07:39 PM
OP Online

I'm encountering both of Ira's issues, but it's great to get nowhere faster than I used to get somewhere. wink

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #10124 05/25/10 02:28 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I'm seeing the new-post indicators in a forum (red numbers and yellow folders) vanishing when they shouldn't as well. And it looks like my luck ran out with the jump to first unread reply, as that isn't working for me anymore.

Downside is even though I can now reproduce both problems, I don't know how to fix them. I tried another account in a different browser, logging out/in, deleting FTM cookies, and various ways of navigating from a thread to its forum, but not surprisingly none of those user-side actions made any difference.

I've got a query into the UBBT folks in hopes there's something tacit or I can do from the admin side to fix both problems.

Originally Posted By: grelber
I've noticed (on both old and new servers) that by selecting a thread and having it open in a new window or new tab, one doesn't get red-number deletions.
On the other hand, it's as though access isn't recognized at all, since the accessed thread retains the red number in the original window/tab.

Yep, that's the way it's meant to work. The original window/tab won't change until you reload it.

PS: To anyone who's tried to email me at FTM since the server move, sorry about the bounce! Mail's working again now...

Last edited by cyn; 05/25/10 02:59 AM.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #10168 05/26/10 02:48 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

On advice from the UBBT developer I changed the default time offset. It will be take some time and new posts to see if this fixes the problems...keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited by cyn; 05/26/10 03:50 PM.

cyn #10182 05/27/10 10:17 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Two questions:

1) Jon, Dr. G, Artie, Ira, MacManiac, and anyone else who was seeing red numbers disappear on topics with unread posts and/or found the jump-to-first-new-reply not working, any change in either since I adjusted the time offset yesterday morning?

2) Has anyone not experienced those two problems since the move and upgrade?

cyn #10183 05/27/10 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: cyn
Two questions:

1) Jon, Dr. G, Artie, Ira, MacManiac, and anyone else who was seeing red numbers disappear on topics with unread posts and/or found the jump-to-first-new-reply not working, any change in either since I adjusted the time offset yesterday morning?

1). I am still seeing this.

I find that if I click on the "Last Post" column link to get to the last post, then it works as expected. if I click on the category link, and click the thread title, then I lose the red numbers, and am not taken to the first unread post.

Last edited by roger; 05/27/10 11:17 AM. Reason: hopefully I clarified!

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #10186 05/27/10 11:38 AM

Same thing for me, Roger.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #10188 05/27/10 11:42 AM

Idem.

cyn #10197 05/27/10 05:24 PM

Still have the incorrect jumping problem (unexpected nuisance). Have not had more than one thread recently with red numbers, so I can't check that problem.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
cyn #10202 05/28/10 07:59 AM
OP Online

Two questions:

I've seen no change, cyn.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
cyn #10211 05/28/10 07:50 PM

Another issue, which I just discovered. I went to search a forum for a particular thread which I started several months ago. I selected "active in the last 6 months" and clicked Change. There were several pages listed but the last page had the timeframe changed to "active in the last month". Specifically, I tried this with the OS 10.6 forum and the Applications forum. I was unable to find the thread that I wanted so I resorted to brute force by looking at all my posts. The thread in question was this one. I was using it to give advice to someone at the TechSurvivors forum.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #10213 05/28/10 10:46 PM

Seems to be a bug all right.

As a workaround, you could go to My Stuff -> Edit Preferences and change the value for Total topics to to show per page to, say, 50, which in this case is sufficient to allow all threads active in the past six months to be displayed on a single page.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 05/28/10 10:56 PM. Reason: corrected link

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #10214 05/28/10 10:55 PM

Good workaround. It does exactly what you said.

Jon

jchuzi #10216 05/29/10 06:05 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I got the same funkiness when clicking any of the page numbers (not only the last page). I don't know if all these problems are related but I'm going to open a support ticket so the UBBT experts can take a look and hopefully get this stuff straightened out. Tried to do it tonight but ran into a little glitch...if it's not one thing it's another!

BTW, Jon, was your brute force method selecting Posts in the My Stuff menu and clicking through pages to find that thread? If so, here's a shortcut: on the first "All posts made by jchuzi" page, click the Topics Created link above the Post Time column.

Search might have worked too. wink

cyn #10218 05/29/10 07:07 AM
OP Online

> [...] click the Topics Created link above the Post Time column.

cool

cyn #10221 05/29/10 09:15 AM

BTW, Jon, was your brute force method selecting Posts in the My Stuff menu and clicking through pages to find that thread? If so, here's a shortcut: on the first "All posts made by jchuzi" page, click the Topics Created link above the Post Time column.
I use this technique so rarely that I never noticed Topics Created. blush Thanks for the tip, Cyn. cool

Jon

grelber #10233 05/29/10 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
I notice that with multipage threads checking new posts (red numbers) gets one to the latest page, but still no jump to most recent unread posts.

Yeah, ok, it's discussed here (delete my other thread if you like) but, there's no response as to whether it can or will be fixed... Is this an unknown??

Gregg #10236 05/29/10 06:14 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I managed to get the UBBT support ticket open after all (the one I had trouble with in the wee hours). I can't imagine the UBBT developer won't be able to fix the problems (those noted here as well as a few others) but I suppose it's a possibility.

Roger, I just noticed your edit:
Originally Posted By: roger
I find that if I click on the "Last Post" column link to get to the last post, then it works as expected. if I click on the category link, and click the thread title, then I lose the red numbers, and am not taken to the first unread post.

Yeah, the link in the Last Post column is to a specific post (the URL ends with a post #) and AFAICT those type of links (in a user's post list or search results or wherever) take us to the right place. It's when we go to a forum and click the subject of a thread that has unread replies (URL ends with &gonew=1#UNREAD) that we get taken to the top of the thread instead of the first unread reply.

cyn #10293 06/01/10 05:05 AM

Sorry for the long delay in responding, but I've been a bit out of access range....

Just got back on today and am still seeing the challenge with being taken to the first post in a thread with new entries instead of the newest post in that thread.

I should be back in the US in about three weeks.....

EDIT: .....and now a new symptom.....after entering this post, I went back to the forums home page and found ALL but this forum showing new entries! I'll try a logout and cookie toss to see if it makes any positive change and then report back.

Last edited by MacManiac; 06/01/10 05:11 AM.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
cyn #10295 06/01/10 05:37 AM

Logging out of the FTM forums then tossing the FTM cookies in Safari, then closing / restarting Safari and logging back into the FTM forums has resolved ALL of the "interesting" issues that I've experienced since the UBBT upgrade.

My guess is that there was a slight format difference in the data contained in the earlier UBBT cookies that only partially updated when using the newer UBBT software......and thus the anomalies. Clearing the cookies that were a legacy from the previous UBBT software and getting fresh ones written by the current UBBT software seems to be the answer.

All appears well now.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #10297 06/01/10 06:49 AM

Something different here, just noticed it yesterday:
When i post (like right now), the "emoticon menu" (i.e., with the smiley face) is blank.

[i have to type them from memory: shocked wink , etc.]

Hal Itosis #10298 06/01/10 07:38 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Something different here, just noticed it yesterday:
When i post (like right now), the "emoticon menu" (i.e., with the smiley face) is blank.

[i have to type them from memory: shocked wink , etc.]

Running Ad Subtract, which (as I posted here) apparently does the same thing as your "floppymoose" userContent.css file, also results in a blank emoticon menu.

When I want to use an emoticon in a post I must either turn AdSubtract off or, as you do, type from memory.

Hope this helps both you and cyn. smile (Typed from memory!)

artie505 #10299 06/01/10 08:53 AM

all seems to be working as it should today! yay!

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
MacManiac #10302 06/01/10 10:43 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

MM, it wasn't a cookies thing (I tried clearing mine early in my search for a cause/solution). You've just got remarkable timing: Rick (UBBT dev) found and fixed the apparent cause of our problems right before you posted. And I do mean right before...he was updating the support ticket while you were posting. I'm pretty sure the new post indicators you saw on the main Forum List were a temporary side effect.

I'm going through my list and everything I've checked so far is working properly again. cool

Anyone still seeing any of the previously reported problems, or any new ones?

Artie, thanks for the info about the ad blockers. Nice to know the emoticon menu isn't something else that's broken.

cyn #10303 06/01/10 11:08 AM

Everything seems to be working. cool

Jon

jchuzi #10315 06/01/10 05:28 PM

Not sure what all "everything" refers to, but I can confirm that jumping to the last read post now works, and there is no longer an issue with the red unread post numbers being properly retained between readings of posts.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard