FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How add to services?
#10049 05/22/10 12:17 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

One of my app developers says I should dowloand a plug in and put it in the services folder.
I don't see one on either library, to he said to create it.
I put a services folder in each library, the mac HD, and my home one, put his folder in both, and nothing shows up still!

It's supposed to show up in a contexual menu.
Nada nothing. what am a I doing wrong?
http://tinypic.com/r/2z53coy/6

Re: How add to services?
kevs #10053 05/22/10 12:57 AM

Generally speaking, folders like this apply in this order:

~/Library/xxx

/Users/Shared/Library/xxx

/Library/xxx

/System/Library/xxx

The only one of these four here that contains "Services" is the system library. I'd expect if I made a folder in any of those other locations, called "Services", and put something in it, it would behave as expected.

I may have that order wrong. At any rate, if the widget is in any one of those folders, it will work.

Shared doesn't even start out with a Library folder, you may have to make that one too.
Application Support is also sometimes in Library in the various places.

It's also very possible something has to be restarted to notice the new additions. Some things don't have to be restarted, others require an outright reboot. Sounds for example updates instantly wherever.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #10065 05/22/10 01:48 PM

Adding to what V1 said. I have a Services folder in ~/Library in my home folder, in /Services at the drive root, and in /System/Library. Services in all three locations do appear in the services menu, but not all services appear in all applications and some services appear in some applications only under certain circumstances such as when something has been selected.

Try opening System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard shortcuts then in the pane on the left side of the window select Services. See if your new Service appears in the list of services and if it does be sure the check box is checked.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/22/10 01:49 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10072 05/23/10 12:18 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Joe and V--

Ok, I found a services folder in system Libary, I forgot there are three libraries.
I tried to drag the app folder in there but it would not accept it.

Joe, I deleted the other two service folders I created after I found the service folder in system library.

That said, I still stuck as it wont drag in there.

What should I do?

Remember nothing worked for the two others I created.

kevs #10073 05/23/10 04:20 AM

That particular folder isn't meant for you to drag to. that's where the OS puts its services that all users use.

you should put it in /Library/Services/ (create if needed) or in (home)/Library/Services/ (create if needed)

The former is for all users to use, but does not contain services made by the OS, and the latter is only for your user to use.

Would not surprise me if a restart is required for it to "see" new services.

Virtual1 #10091 05/23/10 04:04 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe/ V
ok re-created again service folders in home and Mad HD libraries.
I dropped the app folder into both and rebooted.
But in finder services nothing comes up.
Keyboard shortcut, services, don't see anything in that right hand pane.

kevs #10092 05/23/10 04:06 PM

It sounds as if the service may not be properly constructed. Check bac with the person you got it from.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10096 05/23/10 08:55 PM

oh, NICE. I found a new toy! In 10.6, with say, the finder up, select from the Finder menu, Services, Services Preferences.

See if that helps. Maybe it needs to be enabled there.

Wow there's all sorts of useful stuff in that keyboard Shortcuts window. I had no idea Services was there too.

kevs #10100 05/23/10 10:16 PM

How about telling us what the app is and where to d/l the plug-in so we can try to figure this out for you?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #10104 05/24/10 12:24 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks,
V, that pref, is just the keyboard thing Joe already mentioned.

Artie, cool
How can I get this folder to you?
The app in Interarchy, is the best FTP client out there for Macs. appreciate that!

Joe, when is fine tuned going to enable the ability to attach files?

kevs #10107 05/24/10 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Artie, cool
How can I get this folder to you?
The app in Interarchy, is the best FTP client out there for Macs. appreciate that!

I'll go you one better... Here's the answer to your question, which I figured out by extrapolating from here. (Are you nargalzius?)

What you need to do is create a ~/Library/Services folder, put not the folder you d/l'ed, but its contents, the plug-ins, into it, and then log out/in. (I assume you could also put them into /Library/Services, but I didn't try.) (After I logged back in I merely selected Interarchy, which was on my Desktop, and found "Don't Ignore When Mirroring" and "Ignore When Mirroring" in Finder's services menu.)

For future reference, note that OS X looks for plug-ins in "Services" folders, not containing folders.

(The odd thing is that the two .zip files I d/l'ed via the above link returned I/O errors when I tried to unarchive them in 10.6.3, but they opened just fine in 10.5.7, and their contents were functional after being dragged across the great divide.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #10111 05/24/10 02:06 PM

Joe, when is fine tuned going to enable the ability to attach files?
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. However you can post the file on a web site and then put a link to it in your post.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10112 05/24/10 04:43 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, what is a good website to have a link to download from?
I use yousendit. com, but that is directed to a persons email address.

It would be nice to have at least a button to attach photos, this is becoming very common now on forums.

Arti: ok, I got rid of folder, put in just the plug ins, rebooted, and nothing has changed. I don't see anything still.

kevs #10113 05/24/10 04:44 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I put them into just home, library, services -- that's what developer said to do.

kevs #10117 05/24/10 06:09 PM

Joe, what is a good website to have a link to download from?
I use yousendit. com, but that is directed to a persons email address.
I have always used my MobileMe account for that but of course that is not free.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #10120 05/24/10 07:35 PM

> Arti: ok, I got rid of folder, put in just the plug ins, rebooted, and nothing has changed. I don't see anything still.

Have you taken into account the fact that services now only show up in the menu if they are "applicable," like when the app was highlighted on my Desktop?

On thinking, I remember that those services appeared in System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts after I logged back in.

It worked for me in 10.6.3; there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be working for you unless maybe the plug-ins are corrupted.

artie505 #10123 05/25/10 01:05 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, we are good, thanks!
I still don't see anything in services, but when I click in finder on any folder the ignore when mirroring is there so we are cool thanks!

kevs #10125 05/25/10 05:17 AM

Artie, we are good, thanks!
I still don't see anything in services, but when I click in finder on any folder the ignore when mirroring is there so we are cool thanks!

Whew!

You're welcome; happy to have been able to help. smile

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard