for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Debt of Honor
#8428 02/17/10 06:00 AM
OP Offline

Piggybacking on <lkrupp's provocative thread> from June 2009, i just discovered an interesting viddy from 9/11 wherein author Tom Clancy is being interviewed as events unfold. [in fact, if you can bear the 10 minutes of length (complete with bad editing in which around 4 minutes get repeated all over again), you'll see WTC-7 collapse at the end... going down perfectly symmetrically, like a work of art.]

What i find most surprising is that a) it seems this video didn't get up on YouTube until late 2007, and b) despite being there over 2 years now, it's only been viewed some 7,899 times. [if we can trust those counters, mine would have been number 7,900.]

FWIW, Clancy is the author of many famous books... at least one of which has some bad guy crashing a Boeing 747 into the Capitol building. It was published in 1994. I can't help recalling Bush's words on TV one day, saying in effect: “no one could have imagined or predicted that terrorists would hijack planes and crash them into buildings.”   crazy   idunno... i think the FAA (and the airlines) should have been ordered to prevent hijackings by all means possible, long before 2001.

Re: Debt of Honor
Hal Itosis #8436 02/17/10 04:36 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

But then there have been a lot of coulda-shoulda-woulda's which might have changed history.
If the Secret Service had properly assessed sniper potential of a certain schoolbook depository (and perhaps a grassy knoll) in Dallas in 1963, the world might look considerably different (and in my guesstimation, rosier) than it does now.
But that's just me.

grelber #8437 02/17/10 05:39 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: grelber
But then there have been a lot of coulda-shoulda-woulda's which might have changed history. If the Secret Service had properly assessed sniper potential of a certain schoolbook depository (and perhaps a grassy knoll) in Dallas in 1963, the world might look considerably different (and in my guesstimation, rosier) than it does now.

Okay but, at least the Secret Service wanted bullet-proof glass around Kennedy and Connally (iirc), and that request was denied by JFK himself [or ?]. And, i don't believe LBJ ever got on camera and told the world: "we couldn't possibly have imagined that . . . "

--

Also, those two phenomena are on completely different scales. [protecting one man versus protecting thousands.] Considering the incredible damage a few suicidal nut-jobs can so easily produce by flying jets into skyscrapers... one would expect that some serious effort would have been made to preclude any such possibility.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/17/10 05:54 PM.
Hal Itosis #8438 02/17/10 06:33 PM

How about some serious effort at thwarting the premier terrorist of them all, namely Mother Nature? She has caused more damage than the best efforts of human evildoers combined. As an example: Much of the damage to New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina could have been prevented if the dikes had been adequately constructed and maintained. Despite the horrors of 9/11, terrorists have not succeeded in taking out an entire city. Mother Nature does this easily.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #8439 02/17/10 06:59 PM

RE Hal: It was just an(other) example ~ hypothetical, not intended to detract from the original proposition.

RE jchuzi: It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature! crazy
Not that it would do any good anyway. She will always have the last laugh (and we will likely have the last whimper).

grelber #8440 02/17/10 07:22 PM
OP Offline

According to the Wiki (who in turn cites the "Notable Names Database"):

Originally Posted By: NNDB
On June 26, 1999, Clancy married freelance journalist Alexandra Marie Llewellyn. Llewellyn is the first cousin of Colin Powell, who originally introduced the couple to each other.

I'm not formulating any "theory" here... just pointing out an association, while simultaneously being amazed at the (apparent) lack of awareness on the part of agencies whose job is supposed to be protecting the nation.

jchuzi #8444 02/18/10 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
How about some serious effort at thwarting the premier terrorist of them all, namely Mother Nature?

And let's not forget that other subversive - the Grandmother. Here in Canada we certainly are onto her.

In January, responding to a question about airport security, our Prime Minister Harper answered in part that his government should "….make sure that we respond in ways that are intelligent; ways that effectively identify threats before they happen…"

The next day we could read how well that is working. A white-haired 85 year old grandmother was pulled out of the security lineup at the Ottawa airport where she was told to remove her boots and unzip her pants so a female inspector could poke her abdomen.

I feel so much safer.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Hal Itosis #8456 02/18/10 01:29 PM

Who's to say OBL wasn't inspired by Clancy's novel? After all, he's not totally oblivious to popular culture -- isn't he supposed to have wanted to propose to Angelina Jolie?

It'll never happen, but I wish authors would be a little more careful about their creations. I remember reading "Silence of the Lambs" and hoping that Harris wasn't offering some kind of perverse inspiration to would-be sociopaths.

dboh #8461 02/18/10 04:11 PM

Sociopaths live in their own little world and wouldn't likely take inspiration from anyone or anything outside that world.
The outside world (our so-called real world) is fair game for their 'antics', justifiable to the extent that it has no reality (qua negative consequences) within their reality.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard