Next Thread
Print Thread
macOS 14.2
#65263 12/06/23 03:01 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by Release Notes
iMessage Contact Key Verification

New Features

With iMessage Contact Key Verification, users can choose to further verify that they are messaging only with the people they intend. iMessage Contact Key Verification uses Key Transparency to enable automatic verification that the iMessage key distribution service returns device keys that have been logged to a verifiable and auditable map. When a user enables the feature, they will be notified about any validation errors directly in the Messages conversation transcript and Apple ID Settings.

For even higher security, iMessage Contact Key Verification users can compare a contact verification code in person, on FaceTime, or through another secure call. They can also choose to create or edit a contact and save a public key to turn on iMessage Contact Key Verification with that person.

All devices signed into your iCloud account must be on the minimum supported version of iOS 17.2 Beta, macOS 14.2 Beta, or watchOS 10.2 Beta. If you wish to keep using other devices on older versions of the OS, you will need to sign out of iMessage on these devices in order to enable contact key verification. (111356044)

Minor fixes in SwiftUI and some Kits effecting developers. No major fixes noted.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: macOS 14.2
joemikeb #65288 12/11/23 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
With iMessage Contact Key Verification, users can choose to further verify that they are messaging only with the people they intend. iMessage Contact Key Verification uses Key Transparency to enable automatic verification that the iMessage key distribution service returns device keys that have been logged to a verifiable and auditable map. When a user enables the feature, they will be notified about any validation errors directly in the Messages conversation transcript and Apple ID Settings.
Originally Posted by 14.2 Release Notes
iMessage Contact Key Verification: Contact Key Verification provides automatic alerts and Contact Verification Codes to help verify people facing extraordinary digital threats are messaging only with the people they intend
I was wondering about the necessity for this feature, but "people facing extraordinary digital threats" clarifies it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65290 12/12/23 06:23 AM

macOS 14.2 has been released, and while ⌘ ⇧ caret bug in Safari has been squashed, the ⌘ ⇧ N bug, also in Safari, and the less annoying of the two, remains.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65338 12/19/23 09:31 PM

I just updated to macOS 14.2.1, and the ⌘ ⇧ N bug in Safari remains intact! frown

artie505 #65341 12/19/23 11:05 PM
OP Online

Artie could you remind us what the ⌘⇧N bug in Safari is? I just tried it and, as expected, it opened a new private browsing window. I am running Safari Version 17.3 (19617.2.1.11.3).

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #65342 12/19/23 11:10 PM

Artie, I've been holding at Monterey for a while now and wanted to get your opinion on the Sonoma experience....and I KNOW you have an opinion! grin

The reason I ask goes to a simple challenge....my automated HomeKit household keeps asking me to upgrade to the latest HomeKit framework, and for IOS 17.2 this is not an issue, but for my desktop computing it would lose connection once the HomeKit upgrade was applied unless I ALSO upgrade my MacOS to Sonoma.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
joemikeb #65343 12/19/23 11:16 PM

Artie could you remind us what the ⌘⇧N bug in Safari is? I just tried it and, as expected, it opened a new private browsing window. I am running Safari Version 17.3 (19617.2.1.11.3).
Rats! I keep tying ⌘ ⇧ N when I mean ⌘ ⌥ N, which bug you confirmed previously. "New Window," NOT "New Private Window."

Sorry for the confusion.

MacManiac #65344 12/19/23 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by MacManiac
Artie, I've been holding at Monterey for a while now and wanted to get your opinion on the Sonoma experience....and I KNOW you have an opinion! grin
To be perfectly honest, anything other than the present Safari bug has "seamlessly" inserted itself into my workflow and no longer bothers me. (I'm certain that there's other stuff, but there's nothing "in my face.")

So, I can't think of any substantive reason why you shouldn't upgrade, but, of course, make sure you've got an up to date Monterrey clone if oyu're not using Time Machine.

artie505 #65346 12/20/23 01:12 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by artie505
Rats! I keep tying ⌘ ⇧ N when I mean ⌘ ⌥ N, which bug you confirmed previously. "New Window," NOT "New Private Window."
Sorry for my leaky memory. Anyway, I just tested ⌘ ⌥ N and while it did not open a full size window, it did open a mini window that other than size was a fully functioning new window, but probably because of the size, I almost missed its opening. This was using Safari Version 17.3 (19617.2.1.11.3) in macOS 14.3 Beta 1.

— Albert Einstein
MacManiac #65347 12/20/23 01:29 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by MacManiac
The reason I ask goes to a simple challenge....my automated HomeKit household keeps asking me to upgrade to the latest HomeKit framework, and for IOS 17.2 this is not an issue, but for my desktop computing it would lose connection once the HomeKit upgrade was applied unless I ALSO upgrade my macOS to Sonoma.
I have an extensive HomeKit network and for what it is worth, HomeKit has been oblivious to any OS upgrade or update. The only upgrade issue ever was some older HomeKit devices that refused to play-nice when I switched to a mesh router and had to either be replaced or their firmware updated.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65348 12/20/23 04:33 AM

I just tested ⌘ ⌥ N and while it did not open a full size window, it did open a mini window that other than size was a fully functioning new window, but probably because of the size, I almost missed its opening. This was using Safari Version 17.3 (19617.2.1.11.3) in macOS 14.3 Beta 1.
The macOS 14.2.1 update did not include an update to Safari, which remains at version 17.2.1, so I guess your mini-window - whatever the logic behind it may be - is a function of your version 17.3.

artie505 #65357 12/20/23 04:58 PM

Sorry for the confusion.

Now I'm confused. In Safari isn't Command-N a new window? I don't see Command-Option-N as a key command in Safari's File menu.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #65359 12/20/23 05:47 PM
OP Online

The macOS 14.2.1 update did not include an update to Safari, which remains at version 17.2.1, so I guess your mini-window - whatever the logic behind it may be - is a function of your version 17.3.
It appears to mimic a feature in the Arc browser. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by Ira L
Now I'm confused. In Safari isn't Command-N a new window? I don't see Command-Option-N as a key command in Safari's File menu.
To paraphrase an old song "The shortcuts, they are a-changing". I'm not sure which version of Safari the change occurred, but in Safari 17.2.1 and 17.3 they are...
  • ⌥⌘N - New Window
  • ⇧⌘N - New Private Window
  • ⌘T - New Tab
  • ⌥⌘T - New Tab at End
  • ∧⌘N - New Empty Tab Group

NOTE: The Cheatsheet app will display all the shortcuts for the foreground app with a single keystroke. For someone like me, it is very handy.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65362 12/20/23 06:22 PM

Strange feature. I wonder how you expand it to a full sized window?

Although it doesn't appear in my file menu, ⌘ N gets me a new tab, same as ⌘ T.

Which version of macOS & Safari are you in, Ira?

artie505 #65415 12/23/23 04:54 PM

Strange feature. I wonder how you expand it to a full sized window?

Although it doesn't appear in my file menu, ⌘ N gets me a new tab, same as ⌘ T.

Which version of macOS & Safari are you in, Ira?

I am in Safari 17.2.1 and ⌘ N opens a new window, not a tab. And ⌘ N is listed in my File menu as New Window, contrary to the post above.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #65418 12/23/23 06:31 PM

More than passing strange!

Take a look at this! (I wonder why IMGUR has stopped offering me a magnifier?)

⌘ N calls up a new window for me only if I've got Safari launched but with NO windows open.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

artie505 #65421 12/23/23 08:41 PM
OP Online

⌘ N calls up a new window for me only if I've got Safari launched but with NO windows open.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have the same Safari menu you have, and Imgur still offers me a magnifier. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65435 12/26/23 05:34 PM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have the same Safari menu you have, and Imgur still offers me a magnifier. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Very weird because this is what mine shows.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #65438 12/26/23 05:48 PM

Very weird indeed!

Not to mention that IMGUR gives me a magnifier when I click on your link, but not when I click on mine.

This ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ has become a go-to item lately!

artie505 #65474 12/29/23 12:43 AM
OP Online

BACK TO THE SHORTCUTS ISSUE. and conceivably this is all related. I had always assumed (there's that D@** word again) that a keyboard shortcut defined in the foreground application would take precedence over the same shortcut in running applications in background. But I just proved to my satisfaction that is not necessarily true. As long as the number of active applications is reasonable and/or those applications have a reasonably limited number of keyboard shortcuts duplicate shortcuts seldom cause any problems. But as I look at what is running on my system today the number of active applications continues to grow and the number of shortcuts defined by each application is growing rapidly. Given there are a very limited number of modifier keys it is inevitable developers will define duplicate keyboard shortcuts to trigger them. The problem becomes when I press a given keyboard shortcut does it the foreground or backgound app? The case I encountered was a commonly used keyboard shortcut in my browser was triggering a menu in a background app that was hidden behind the foreground app. Once I finally tumbled to what was happening it was a simple matter to add another modifier key to the background app's shortcut -- but I probably created another conflict with another app. Too D@** many keyboard shortcuts not too.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65500 12/31/23 03:24 PM

I'm certain that I've never got as many apps running at the same time as you, so I'm less susceptible to conflicts.

When I was first setting up my Butler shortcuts many years ago, I occasionally got undefined conflict pop-ups which I chose to ignore 'til they resolved in real life, and the only one that's ever come back to haunt me was having set ∧ C for some long forgotten purpose and having had it override the command as used to halt a process in Terminal. I'm not even sure if the app in question was running at the time.

The only other problem I've run into was trying to use the ⌥ key as a modifier with an app - maybe Firefox and/or Safari - and finding that rather than accommodating my intention, it caused an alternate version of the app to launch.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard