for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need Information?
#65228 11/30/23 11:41 PM
OP Offline

The browser company is proposing ChatGPT as an alternative to Google for getting information, so I posed the question to ChatGPT.
User
is chatgpt a viable alternative to google for finding information

ChatGPT
ChatGPT and Google serve different purposes when it comes to finding information. Google is a search engine designed specifically for retrieving information from the web. It's excellent for quickly searching and accessing a wide range of information, including articles, websites, and other online resources.

On the other hand, ChatGPT is a language model that can generate human-like text based on the input it receives. While it can provide information and answer questions to the best of its knowledge, it doesn't have the ability to browse the internet in real-time. Its responses are generated based on pre-existing knowledge up to its last training cut-off in January 2022.

So, if you're looking for up-to-date and diverse information from the web, Google is likely the better choice. ChatGPT can be helpful for answering questions, generating text, or engaging in conversation, but it doesn't replace the real-time, comprehensive search capabilities of a search engine like Google.

I had not thought of AI in that particular context, but I will be using it a LOT, going forward.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Need Information?
joemikeb #65243 12/01/23 07:42 PM

I created an account with OpenAI, which led me to the ChatGPT log-in. The first question I asked it was: (name) went to such and such a high school, where is that person now?

ChatGPT passed with flying colors, i.e. said it couldn't divulge that sort of info due to privacy issues. Also that it can't answer questions in real time, only up to Jan 2022.

Then I asked a question I knew the answer to. Again, got the answer I expected.

Still, scares the heck out of me...

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #65245 12/01/23 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by freelance
Still, scares the heck out of me...
I've got as much artificial intelligence as I care to deal with going on between my ears, thank you.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65247 12/01/23 08:45 PM

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #65256 12/02/23 10:58 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
[I've got as much artificial intelligence as I care to deal with going on between my ears, thank you.
Then I have to ask the obvious questions, is what you have going on between your ears...
  1. artificial?
  2. intelligent?
  3. would your wife agree with your answers?
laugh

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65285 12/10/23 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505
I've got as much artificial intelligence as I care to deal with going on between my ears, thank you.
Then I have to ask the obvious questions, is what you have going on between your ears...
  1. artificial?
  2. intelligent?
  3. would your wife agree with your answers?
laugh
After pondering over your questions I asked Chat GPT "What have I got going on between my ears," and it responded: "If you've got to ask me, probably not much."

No wife, but my daughters probably think "high vacuum."

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard