FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: UPDATE to Sonoma??
joemikeb #65126 11/23/23 06:16 PM
OP Offline

Joe: I got an email back from the Bean developer. He said it works find if you do it this way. Is that what you did?

Hi Rita,

>>Bean is being blocked as a third party app in Sonoma?

I'm not sure that is the case.

Bean.app is currently passing Gatekeeper as being notarized. Also, the other day I downloaded Bean on a new Mac at a Retail store and it worked fine.

Two points:

1) always download Bean from https://www.bean-osx.com
2) for the first launch, control-click the app icon and select "Open" from the context menu

If that still does not work, I would be interested in hearing more details.

Thanks for the feedback and hope that solves things,

James

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
Does that mean that my Bean Word Processor might not work? I'm used to it over Pages.

I didn't want to misspeak, so I downloaded Bean and attempted to run it, and immediately ran afoul of a new security feature in macOS 14.2. There is probably a way to bypass that, but it will take some research. Apple is getting very touchy about third-party developers including hidden tracking and phone home "features" in their software (Google being the prime exemplar of the practice). Personally, I applaud the effort and there is an easy way for the developers to come into compliance, but that is sure to bite some older no longer developed or supported software.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #65128 11/23/23 06:35 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
[quote=plantsower]I never saw what they were because nothing happened. I will try the app in a few days and see what happens.

It's SOP in the OS that when you do something, you are then directed to the results of your action.

I like things simple and obvious and I guess my brain just doesn't work that way to see that stuff.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65129 11/23/23 06:49 PM

It's SOP in the OS that when you do something, you are then directed to the results of your action.
I like things simple and obvious and I guess my brain just doesn't work that way to see that stuff.
What's simpler and more obvious than having the OS take you directly to a newly created file and save you from having to look for it/navigate to it?

Now you know and are good forever.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #65134 11/23/23 07:36 PM

Joe: I got an email back from the Bean developer.
I've got no idea how you worded your email to Bean's dev, but either you did a bad job or he misinterpreted a good job.

He answered a question you couldn't possibly have asked inasmuch as you haven't upgraded to Sonoma yet.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #65136 11/23/23 08:42 PM

Joe: I got an email back from the Bean developer. He said it works find if you do it this way. Is that what you did?

No, DuckDuckGo found another download site and that is the one that failed. I just downloaded Bean from the link in your post and it opened right up in Sonoma.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #65138 11/23/23 11:36 PM
OP Offline

It didn't take me there. I will do your Shottr directions when I can get to it and hopefully get better results.

What's simpler and more obvious than having the OS take you directly to a newly created file and save you from having to look for it/navigate to it?

Now you know and are good forever.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #65139 11/23/23 11:38 PM
OP Offline

I sent the letter to Joe if you can find it. At least his answer to me. I told him what Joe told me about being blocked and then he sent his answer which, like I said, I forwarded it to Joe.

Joe: I got an email back from the Bean developer.
I've got no idea how you worded your email to Bean's dev, but either you did a bad job or he misinterpreted a good job.

He answered a question you couldn't possibly have asked inasmuch as you haven't upgraded to Sonoma yet.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #65140 11/23/23 11:40 PM
OP Offline

Oh, hurray! Do you think that since it opened, that they could squelch it and block it from me later on with their updates, and how would I know? What would the update say?

No, DuckDuckGo found another download site and that is the one that failed. I just downloaded Bean from the link in your post and it opened right up in Sonoma.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65141 11/23/23 11:57 PM

It didn't take me there.
It took you to a file in Finder, which I'm certain was your PDF. That was the "there."

artie505 #65142 11/24/23 12:01 AM
OP Offline

Yeah, and not to sound stupid, what do I do from there? I clicked on it hoping it would open up to paste into my word processor but that didn't happen. Told you I'm brain dead for awhile. Luckily, Joe opened my Bean in Sonoma when he redownloaded it properly so all is good with that. I still may wait for more bugs to go out and another upgrade or two like you said.

It didn't take me there.
It took you to a file in Finder, which I'm certain was your PDF. That was the "there."

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65143 11/24/23 12:01 AM

I sent the letter to Joe if you can find it. At least his answer to me. I told him what Joe told me about being blocked and then he sent his answer which, like I said, I forwarded it to Joe.
That splains it. I somehow missed the part about joemike having been blocked. blush

Actually, I'm totally surprised that he tried to d/l from a location other than the dev's website.

plantsower #65144 11/24/23 12:03 AM
OP Offline

I may have asked this before but isn't there a way we can screen share like when I call Apple and they screen share? I thought I saw a feature like that once. They can't do anything but point to stuff for me but it's so helpful. It would be like you standing over my shoulder and say do this and do that, blah, blah, blah while we talk on the phone.

Yeah, and not to sound stupid, what do I do from there? I clicked on it hoping it would open up to paste into my word processor but that didn't happen. Told you I'm brain dead for awhile. Luckily, Joe opened my Bean in Sonoma when he redownloaded it properly so all is good with that. I still may wait for more bugs to go out and another upgrade or two like you said.

It didn't take me there.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65145 11/24/23 12:06 AM

Yeah, and not to sound stupid, what do I do from there? I clicked on it hoping it would open up to paste into my word processor but that didn't happen.
If I'm understanding you, you were hoping to paste the contents of the PDF.

You'll need to OCR them with Shottr first.

artie505 #65146 11/24/23 12:09 AM
OP Offline

Yeah, I didn't know that would make a difference but indeed it does.
Good to know.

Actually, I'm totally surprised that he tried to d/l from a location other than the dev's website. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #65147 11/24/23 12:10 AM
OP Offline

I keep hearing OCR but I don't know what that is. I am hoping when I get back to Shottr it will pop up and be intuitive.

You'll need to OCR them with Shottr first. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65148 11/24/23 12:11 AM

I may have asked this before but isn't there a way we can screen share like when I call Apple and they screen share? I thought I saw a feature like that once. They can't do anything but point to stuff for me but it's so helpful. It would be like you standing over my shoulder and say do this and do that, blah, blah, blah while we talk on the phone.
Yeah, that would certainly be helpful.

I think I've seen an app recently...I'll keep my eyes open...maybe do some research.

plantsower #65149 11/24/23 12:13 AM

I keep hearing OCR but I don't know what that is. I am hoping when I get back to Shottr it will pop up and be intuitive.
OCR means "optical character recognition," which is what your original post asked about and led us to Shottr's command-option-control-O.

plantsower #65150 11/24/23 12:20 AM

Good to know.
When you d/l from other than the dev, you can't be certain of what you're getting...whether it'll maybe bring some malware with it. The dev's website will give you the guaranteed real deal.

Maybe DuckDuckGo scans first? I dunno.

I always start at MacUpdate to see what others have to say, and I then follow their link to the dev's website to d/l.

artie505 #65151 11/24/23 12:22 AM
OP Offline

OK.

OCR means "optical character recognition," which is what your original post asked about and led us to Shottr's command-option-control-O.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #65152 11/24/23 12:23 AM
OP Offline

Yes, good idea.

Good to know.
When you d/l from other than the dev, you can't be certain of what you're getting...whether it'll maybe bring some malware with it. The dev's website will give you the guaranteed real deal.

Maybe DuckDuckGo scans first? I dunno.

I always start at MacUpdate to see what others have to say, and I then follow their link to the dev's website to d/l.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65153 11/24/23 12:29 AM

That used to be a FaceTime feature, but it was disabled years apparently for security reasons. I, for one, really miss it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65154 11/24/23 01:01 AM
OP Offline

Well phooey. I read up on that a little while ago so must have been an old article. Why remove such a wonderful feature?
I read where you can share on iMessage but I doubt you could be mobile with arrows like Apple. Artie is looking into it. I read there is an app that facilities this. Though if Sonoma blocks it, well....

That used to be a FaceTime feature, but it was disabled years apparently for security reasons. I, for one, really miss it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65155 11/24/23 01:12 AM

I found this vid, which is from May '22 and presumably still current.

It involves routing Messages through iCloud and appears to be our answer.

artie505 #65156 11/24/23 01:16 AM
OP Offline

Cool. I'll check it out when I get a chance. Thanks, Artie.

I found this vid, which is from May '22 and presumably still current.

It involves routing Messages through iCloud and appears to be our answer.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65157 11/24/23 01:22 AM

Cool. I'll check it out when I get a chance. Thanks, Artie.
I can envision us having a problem wherein we may need to have it in place so I can instruct you on how to get it in place tongue

We may have to do our setup by phone.

By the way, with this procedure, we can apparently hear each other talking!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard