for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Copying and pasting Screen shots
plantsower #65055 11/22/23 07:26 AM

I didn't say it works with Shottr, only that I've done it in the past with other apps, but there's no harm in trying. It's actually piracy, but only in the vaguest sense. tongue

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65056 11/22/23 08:02 AM

Actually, you'll probably use the app so infrequently that it's easier to put up with the nag screen every once in a blue moon and keep a clear conscience than to go through the whole rigamarole.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65059 11/22/23 03:52 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
Actually, you'll probably use the app so infrequently that it's easier to put up with the nag screen every once in a blue moon and keep a clear conscience than to go through the whole rigamarole.

Right. I don't need the app because it's so similar to what you showed me. If it starts nagging me, I will delete it. I don't need this process very often as mentioned, but it's sure nice to have when I do. So, thanks again.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65067 11/22/23 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I don't need the app because it's so similar to what you showed me. If it starts nagging me, I will delete it. I don't need this process very often as mentioned, but it's sure nice to have when I do. So, thanks again.[/color]
I don't get the "similar" part.

Odds are you'll see the nag screen next time you use it, which is likely to be more than 30 ays from now, but at that point you'll find out how annoying the nagging is and whether the deletion trick works.

artie505 #65081 11/22/23 08:47 PM
OP Offline

What I mean by similar is the nag screen. I didn't see it when I did it your way the first time, but when you mentioned it, I did. They both use that process.

I don't need the app because it's so similar to what you showed me. If it starts nagging me, I will delete it. I don't need this process very often as mentioned, but it's sure nice to have when I do. So, thanks again.[/color]
I don't get the "similar" part.

Odds are you'll see the nag screen next time you use it, which is likely to be more than 30 ays from now, but at that point you'll find out how annoying the nagging is and whether the deletion trick works.
[b][/b]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65083 11/22/23 08:50 PM

What I mean by similar is the nag screen. I didn't see it when I did it your way the first time, but when you mentioned it, I did. They both use that process.
Both of what?

And you shouldn't have seen the nag screen, because it supposedly pops up only after 30 days.

artie505 #65084 11/22/23 08:52 PM
OP Offline

Both of what? Your way and Shottr's way. Sheesh, Artie. We are not communicating too well lately. confused

And you shouldn't have seen the nag screen, because it supposedly pops up only after 30 days.
[color:#CC0000][/color]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65087 11/22/23 08:59 PM

Both of what? Your way and Shottr's way. Sheesh, Artie. We are not communicating too well lately. confused
I've got no idea what you mean by Shottr's way. I wasn't aware that there's a way other than the key command, unless you mean the drop-down?

And when/where did you see the nag screen? It shouldn't exist before 30 days have passed. I think you're maybe misunderstanding "nag screen." It pops up after 30 days to ask you to buy Shottr.

artie505 #65088 11/22/23 09:31 PM
OP Offline

I've got no idea what you mean by Shottr's way. I wasn't aware that there's a way other than the key command, unless you mean the drop-down? When I use Shottr, I used File, copy and then snag it. Then command copy (like I do with your way after I snag it) and then it copies onto my word processor. Now neither way is working. When I do the snag, I am still getting a copy of the whole screen shot and not the text only. I'm tired of trying. Maybe tomorrow. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Happy Thanksgiving!

And when/where did you see the nag screen? It shouldn't exist before 30 days have passed. I think you're maybe misunderstanding "nag screen." It pops up after 30 days to ask you to buy Shottr. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65092 11/23/23 12:05 AM

PMFJI -- again. I don't have Shottr and I can only guess at what you are doing, but try this using Pages or the editor of your choice...
  1. run Shottr on the PDF screenshot and save the resulting OCRed file
  2. open the resulting OCRed file in Preview (you should be able to select individual words or search the text at this point.)
  3. either select the desired portion of the text -- in that file, and press ⌘C (or to get the entire text press ⌘A followed by ⌘C)
  4. open the document you are creating in Pages or the editor of your choice
  5. place the cursor at the point in that file where you want to insert the copied text
  6. press ⌘V to paste the copied text into your document

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65093 11/23/23 12:46 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by joemikeb
PMFJI -- again. I don't have Shottr and I can only guess at what you are doing, but try this using Pages or the editor of your choice...
  1. run Shottr on the PDF screenshot and save the resulting OCRed file What's the OCRed file?
  2. open the resulting OCRed file in Preview (you should be able to select individual words or search the text at this point.)
  3. either select the desired portion of the text -- in that file, and press ⌘C (or to get the entire text press ⌘A followed by ⌘C)
  4. open the document you are creating in Pages or the editor of your choice
  5. place the cursor at the point in that file where you want to insert the copied text
  6. press ⌘V to paste the copied text into your document

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65105 11/23/23 01:33 AM

What's the OCRed file?

Remember, I don't have Shottr, so I am in a heavy fog here. With other OCR tools, the process goes like this...
  1. Launch the OCR application
  2. on the menu bar, click on File > Open
  3. Select the PDF file to be OCRed
  4. On the menu bar, find and click on the option to OCR the file. (typically under Tools on the menu bar)
  5. When the process completes, click on File > Save
  6. Quit the OCR application
  7. The original PDF has, at that point, had a layer added to it that contains the selectable and searchable text and has become what I termed "the OCRed file".

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65107 11/23/23 01:37 AM

Your instructions aren't compatible with Shottr.

I will get back to Rita with complete Shottr instructions later.

joemikeb #65108 11/23/23 01:40 AM
OP Offline

Please first tell me what OCRed is. I actually deleted Shottr, so when I use Artie's method to glean the text out of the screenshot now, a Shottr messages pops up and wants me to click something in system settings under security before I can do the nag. I deleted Shottr using FindAnyFile and I don't know why it's still popping up. This has been a day for Mac stuff going wrong, especially with getting text from a screen shot and trying to export my Docs to Pages.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
What's the OCRed file?

Remember, I don't have Shottr, so I am in a heavy fog here. With other OCR tools, the process goes like this...
  1. Launch the OCR application
  2. on the menu bar, click on File > Open
  3. Select the PDF file to be OCRed
  4. On the menu bar, find and click on the option to OCR the file. (typically under Tools on the menu bar)
  5. When the process completes, click on File > Save
  6. Quit the OCR application
  7. The original PDF has, at that point, had a layer added to it that contains the selectable and searchable text and has become what I termed "the OCRed file".

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #65109 11/23/23 01:41 AM
OP Offline

Thanks Artie. I prefer your way but I can't get it to work again. Maybe I'm just tired. I deleted Shottr but it keeps popping up like I told Joe and wants me to go to system settings and security, blah, blah, blah.

Your instructions aren't compatible with Shottr.

I will get back to Rita with complete Shottr instructions later.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65113 11/23/23 04:13 AM

Before we go any further, you confuse the hell out of me every time you mention "nag" or "nag screen," so please stop using those terms. You've never seen the nag screen and won't until you've had Shottr installed for 30 days without having purchased a license, but for your edification, this is it. I've got no idea how often it pops up when you've hit your 30 days, i.e. how annoying it actually is.

OK, then, let's start from scratch:
  1. Go to Shottr.cc and d/l Shottr 1.7.2.
  2. Double-click on the d/l and follow the prompts to install Shottr.
  3. Launch Shottr.
  4. Go to System Settings > Privacy & Security > Screen Recording.
  5. Click on Screen Recording and slide the little button next to "Shottr" 'til it turns blue.
  6. At this point, you should have a Shottr icon in your menu bar, namely a black box with an "S" in it.
  7. Click on the icon, and in the resulting drop-down you should see "Recognize Text/QR" and a key command, which I believe is command-option-control-(capital)O by default.
  8. You should now be ready to use Shottr.

Now, to use it:
  1. Open a doc that you want to convert from an image to text.
  2. Either click on "Recognize..." in the drop-down or invoke the key command.
  3. Your cursor will change to a crosshair.
  4. Move the crosshair to your starting point.
  5. Click and drag the crosshair to select the text you want "translated."
  6. Release the click.
  7. You will get a little pop-up telling you that your text has been copied to your clipboard.
  8. Launch TextEdit.
  9. Paste your text from your clipboard into the TE doc.
  10. Format it as needed.
  11. Copy & paste your text from your TE doc to your final destination.
  12. And that's it.

Print this out so you've got it right at hand if you get lost and need it.

Whew! I think I got it right, but let me know if you run into any snags.

artie505 #65115 11/23/23 04:46 AM
OP Offline

Before we go any further, you confuse the hell out of me every time you mention "nag" or "nag screen," so please stop using those terms. I learned that word "nag" from you so I used it. I thought it was another word for cross hairs!! LOL! Getting ready for Thanksgiving and no time now. I will get to it and I thank you for going through all that trouble to show me how to do it. I'll let you know how it goes when I get to it.

You've never seen the nag screen and won't until you've had Shottr installed for 30 days without having purchased a license, but for your edification, this is it. I've got no idea how often it pops up when you've hit your 30 days, i.e. how annoying it actually is.

OK, then, let's start from scratch:
  1. Go to Shottr.cc and d/l Shottr 1.7.2.
  2. Double-click on the d/l and follow the prompts to install Shottr.
  3. Launch Shottr.
  4. Go to System Settings > Privacy & Security > Screen Recording.
  5. Click on Screen Recording and slide the little button next to "Shottr" 'til it turns blue.
  6. At this point, you should have a Shottr icon in your menu bar, namely a black box with an "S" in it.
  7. Click on the icon, and in the resulting drop-down you should see "Recognize Text/QR" and a key command, which I believe is command-option-control-(capital)O by default.
  8. You should now be ready to use Shottr.

Now, to use it:
  1. Open a doc that you want to convert from an image to text.
  2. Either click on "Recognize..." in the drop-down or invoke the key command.
  3. Your cursor will change to a crosshair.
  4. Move the crosshair to your starting point.
  5. Click and drag the crosshair to select the text you want "translated."
  6. Release the click.
  7. You will get a little pop-up telling you that your text has been copied to your clipboard.
  8. Launch TextEdit.
  9. Paste your text from your clipboard into the TE doc.
  10. Format it as needed.
  11. Copy & paste your text from your TE doc to your final destination.
  12. And that's it.

Print this out so you've got it right at hand if you get lost and need it.

Whew! I think I got it right, but let me know if you run into any snags.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65116 11/23/23 05:21 AM

I learned that word "nag" from you so I used it. I thought it was another word for cross hairs!! LOL! Getting ready for Thanksgiving and no time now. I will get to it and I thank you for going through all that trouble to show me how to do it. I'll let you know how it goes when I get to it.
You weren't paying close attention to the context in which I used it, but no big deal.

Happy Thanksgiving!

artie505 #65118 11/23/23 05:26 AM
OP Offline

Same to you!

Happy Thanksgiving! [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65161 11/24/23 02:14 AM

Clarification: I remember having once said "capital O" is the key command, but that was misleading.

When I typed the command, I typed capital O, but it really just means the "O" key...not to hit shift too.

artie505 #65162 11/24/23 02:18 AM
OP Offline

Maybe that's why it didn't work for me. I'll try later.

Clarification: I remember having once said "capital O" is the key command, but that was misleading.

When I typed the command, I typed capital O, but it really just means the "O" key...not to hit shift too.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #65163 11/24/23 02:47 AM
OP Offline

I just downloaded Shottr again and it really messed with my side bar on Finder. Took away my pics, apps and downloads. I called Apple but they are closed today. I deleted it once again and will call them again tomorrow. I would rather you walked me through your way. I did try it with the non-capital o but it didn't work. It would be better for you to point out stuff when we get the time on my Mac via your Mac.

I didn't say it works with Shottr, only that I've done it in the past with other apps, but there's no harm in trying. It's actually piracy, but only in the vaguest sense. tongue

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65164 11/24/23 03:37 AM

I can't imagine Shottr having had any interaction with your Finder sidebar, but OK, we'll do it via Messages when we can hook up.

Anyhow, you should be able to recreate your sidebar without any help from Apple.

artie505 #65165 11/24/23 04:17 AM
OP Offline

I can't imagine Shottr having had any interaction with your Finder sidebar, but OK, we'll do it via Messages when we can hook up.

Anyhow, you should be able to recreate your sidebar without any help from Apple.

Maybe with your help. I have all those things checked in my system settings to be shown in Finder but they are not showing. I deleted Shottr a second time and I believe it is now gone. Because when I tried to do it your way, Shottr popped up anyway like I told you even though it was deleted. This time when I tried it with your commands, I couldn't get it to do what I wanted but Shottr stayed out of it. Yay!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65166 11/24/23 05:15 AM

This time when I tried it with your commands, I couldn't get it to do what I wanted but Shottr stayed out of it. Yay!
I've got absolutely no idea what that means, and there's absolutely no reason for Shottr to have either messed with your sidebar or not worked.

My best suggestion is to shut down your MBP for a while, quit torturing yourself, and forget about it 'til we do it together!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard