for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Root Permissions
#64765 10/22/23 09:37 PM
OP Offline

I just tried to delete everything on my Mac from an app called SudokuEpic because it's been glitchy since I updated it.
I got this message when trying to delete all of it: Some items are locked or require root permissions. Do you want to trash these items as well?

Is it dangerous to remove root permissions from an app? Will it be embedded in something I need otherwise and mess things up if I delete it? Otherwise, I will definitely try to delete it if it will let me.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Root Permissions
plantsower #64766 10/22/23 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I just tried to delete everything on my Mac from an app called SudokuEpic because it's been glitchy since I updated it.
I got this message when trying to delete all of it: Some items are locked or require root permissions. Do you want to trash these items as well?

Is it dangerous to remove root permissions from an app? Will it be embedded in something I need otherwise and mess things up if I delete it? Otherwise, I will definitely try to delete it if it will let me.
Long time, Rita. I guess that's a good sign. smile

No problem with deleting those items.

You won't be removing root permissions, rather you'll be deleting items that for some reason are either locked or require root permissions to remove.

If you're using Find Any File, hitting "option" before you hit "Find" will change it to "Find All," which, I believe, will give you root permission with no further ado.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64767 10/22/23 10:07 PM
OP Offline

Hi Artie: I just did what you told me and got the same message I gave below but only the first sentence. Still okay to try to delete?

Originally Posted by artie505

Long time, Rita. I guess that's a good sign. smile

No problem with deleting those items.

You won't be removing root permissions, rather you'll be deleting items that for some reason are either locked or require root permissions to remove.

If you're using Find Any File, hitting "option" before you hit "Find" will change it to "Find All," which, I believe, will give you root permission with no further ado.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #64768 10/22/23 11:09 PM

Hi Artie: I just did what you told me and got the same message I gave below but only the first sentence. Still okay to try to delete?
Yes. As long as those items are identified as components of the app you're trying to trash, there'll be no problem with deleting them, but just for the heck of it, you may want to first post a screenshot of FAF's results so we can see precisely what's up, rather than just assume.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64769 10/22/23 11:36 PM
OP Offline

https://imgur.com/5YdW78D
https://imgur.com/Srws9PXScreen Shot 3
https://imgur.com/NUdd8aT

The second one you will have to put into the search bar. Don't know what happened there but the other 3 links work.

Also, Imgur is acting little wonky today.

Yes. As long as those items are identified as components of the app you're trying to trash, there'll be no problem with deleting them, but just for the heck of it, you may want to first post a screenshot of FAF's results so we can see precisely what's up, rather than just assume.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #64770 10/23/23 12:04 AM

I see only one item that could be giving you trouble (in screenshot 3), and I see no reason to worry about deleting it.

(Next time, please empty the trash first to highlight what's left. ;))

artie505 #64771 10/23/23 01:57 AM
OP Offline

I didn't notice the trash stuff. Come to find out, it was all in the trash except for one item. For the future though, I think that I do not to have to worry about permissions (Maybe)

I see only one item that could be giving you trouble (in screenshot 3), and I see no reason to worry about deleting it.

(Next time, please empty the trash first to highlight what's left. ;))

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #64772 10/23/23 02:19 AM

I didn't notice the trash stuff. Come to find out, it was all in the trash except for one item. For the future though, I think that I do not to have to worry about permissions (Maybe)
Yup, everything was in the trash except for the one item I noted.

You should never have to worry about permissions when you're dealing with items specific to a third party app.

artie505 #64773 10/23/23 02:40 AM
OP Offline

OK, good to know. Thanks, Artie.

You should never have to worry about permissions when you're dealing with items specific to a third party app. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard