for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Web Apps
#64397 08/08/23 04:09 PM
OP Offline

One of the new features in Sonoma is "Web Apps". It is dead simple and potentially very useful. In effect it takes a Safari screen and converts it to an application complete site logon if needed. Even better it eliminates all of the "clutter" in a Safari window. The resulting app appears as a site icon in Launchpad and/or on the Dock. It took a day or two to get used to, but I am finding it a very functional feature.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Web Apps
joemikeb #64399 08/08/23 04:16 PM

What advantage over FTM itself does your FTM example give you?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64409 08/10/23 12:32 AM
OP Offline

One thing I thought you would like is it eliminates all of the safari related clutter around the window. Second, when I log when I enter a site, if a login is required, it just happens. And no matter where I leave the app when I return, it will be at the same page and spot on the page that I left it. As an interesting sidelight, The associated app on the menu bar is the site, not safari. It does nothing that Safari can’t do, but it makes each open Safari window a standalone app.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64430 08/22/23 09:15 AM

I was confused by your screenshot which sounded like an after, rather than the before it actually is. May we see an after for comparison?

As far as FTM goes, I've already eliminated its masthead with Roadblock, and I could get rid of the bottom of the page too if it bothered me.

I guess I'll try the feature when Ventura's released, but inasmuch as I've blocked the blockable eye candy on the sites I regularly visit, and considering my work habits, I don't think I'll get much mileage from it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard