Next Thread
Print Thread
Improper Shutdown Message at Startup
#64215 07/15/23 03:55 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, Gang:

Just began yesterday . . .

Every time I start up the iMac Desktop (2019) with Ventura, I receive a message that I had an "improper shutdown" last time. I have reset NVPRAM and SMC, but no fix happened. Whether I restart or shutdown (and reboot), the message pops up. I have not downloaded or installed any new software recently.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks,
MG2009
Re: Improper Shutdown Message at Startup
MG2009 #64217 07/15/23 04:32 PM

Open the Console app and search the log files for "improper shutdown" and see if there are any clues there.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney
joemikeb #64219 07/15/23 06:12 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, joemikeb:

I opened CONSOLE and took a peek. Nothing looks "odd" to me.

I'd send a screenshot, but do not know how to attach images to this thread. (The computer won't allow me to copy/paste the text from the LOG, either.)

Last edited by MG2009; 07/15/23 06:26 PM.

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #64222 07/15/23 07:16 PM

To post a screenshot or other type of image...
  1. Go to https://imgur.com/upload.
  2. Either drag your image into the window, choose (browse for) it, or paste your image or its URL.
  3. Click on Grab Link > Copy Link in the next screen to copy your image's URL to your clipboard.
  4. Create a link using FTM's "Insert Link" tags...5th icon from the right.

I just tried to copy from Console, and I couldn't do so in the top half of my screen, but I could in the bottom half.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64223 07/15/23 07:53 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, artie505 !

Here it is : https://imgur.com/a/zf2zCyb

Does this tell us anything useful for fixing the issue?

P.S. Yes, same situation as yours with copying from the Console Log.

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #64224 07/15/23 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by MG2009
Thanks, artie505 !

It tells us that Imgur's servers are temporarily at capacity and cannot accept your post. But, that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

1. Launch Console and in the sidebar select Log Reports
  2. Then in the searchbar enter shutdown
  3. One-by-one select each of the logs found
  4. scroll to the top of the bottom pane
  5. then scan down the listing until you find the word "shutdown" (if it actually appears)
  6. Copy the text from ten lines preceding to ten lines following the line containing shutdown
  7. paste those lines in your reply to this post

You cannot copy the text in the top pane of the window, as it is a dynamic image containing links to the content of the bottom pane. The bottom pane displays an actual text file which is copyable (sp?) can be copied.

--Walt Disney
MG2009 #64226 07/15/23 11:08 PM

Thanks, artie505 !

Don't you see additional text underneath if you click on one of the lines shown in your screenshot?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #64227 07/16/23 12:24 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

New Image . . .

https://imgur.com/a/5KuzgCe

1. Launch Console and in the sidebar select Log Reports - DONE
2. Then in the searchbar enter shutdown - DONE (one found = shutdown_monitor.log)
3. One-by-one select each of the logs found - DONE
4. scroll to the top of the bottom pane (NO reference to "shutdown" anywhere therein, so #5, #6, #7 below are not applicable.)

........................................................................................................................................

5. then scan down the listing until you find the word "shutdown" (if it actually appears)
6. Copy the text from ten lines preceding to ten lines following the line containing shutdown
7. paste those lines in your reply to this post

FWIW: The "popup" only shows when I login from COLD START or RESTART. It does not appear while logging in and out of My Account, the Admin Account, or the Guest Account (i.e. all the accounts on this computer) - as long as the computer is not shutdown or restarted while in use.

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #64229 07/16/23 12:46 PM

New Image . . .

https://imgur.com/a/5KuzgCe

FWIW: The "popup" only shows when I login from COLD START or RESTART. It does not appear while logging in and out of My Account, the Admin Account, or the Guest Account (i.e. all the accounts on this computer) - as long as the computer is not shutdown or restarted while in use.

When I click on your Imgur link all I see is
Originally Posted by MG2009 on Imgur
{"data":{"error":"Imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later."},"success":false,"status":403}
which is another issue altogether and should be in another topic.

As to the original topic the popup you are seeing should only appear after a cold start or reboot. It indicates a drive was still open when the system shut down, which creates a not insignificant risk of damaging the file and volume structure on the offending drive/device. The questions are...
  • what drive or device is not dismounting properly
  • why is it not dismounting as it should.

Since the log files are not easily yielding the data, my suggestion is to run Etrecheck and see if it finds any "breadcrumbs" that can be followed. Etrecheck is a free download, but the Pro version offers a more in-depth problem analysis.

--Walt Disney
joemikeb #64230 07/16/23 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
{"data":{"error":"Imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later."},"success":false,"status":403}
You posted the same thing earlier, but I've had no trouble accessing MG2009's screenshot either then or right now. confused

joemikeb #64231 07/16/23 04:42 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, again:

Here's what I did . . .

1. unplugged the camera, EXHD 1, and EXHD 2 from the computer. No other devices are attached. The mouse and keyboard are Bluetooth.

2. Restarted the computer and the popup message returned (without any devices plugged in).

3. Plugged in EXHD 1 . It loaded. I could view its contents. Ejected it from the sidebar before restart. Then restarted the computer with the EXHD 1 plugged in. Popup message occurred.

4. Manually ejected EXHD 1 again from the sidebar. Unplugged EXHD 1.

Repeated Steps 3 and 4 with the EXHD 2 only. Exact same results.

Looks like neither external hard drive is the culprit.

The INTERNAL drives are Apple SSD and Apple SSD-Data (2) i.e. called a "preboot disk." Both have been displayed since the computer was purchased, although I do not recall seeing the (2) at the end of the Apple SSD-Data disk. Is that normal?

The popup does NOT appear to adversely affecting any operations of the computer; it just has been bloody annoying the past couple of days!

P.S. I, like artie505, have no problem viewing either of the Imgur links in the previous posts.

Many thanks,
MG2009
artie505 #64232 07/16/23 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by joemikeb
You posted the same thing earlier, but I've had no trouble accessing MG2009's screenshot either then or right now. confused

I was confused too and made an ass out of myself by ASS-U-MI-ng it was the result of a posting error to Imgur. After seeing your message I tried disabling content blockers on the Imgur site with no results. Then I remembered I had activated my VPN while researching a previous question. I deactivated the VPN and vioilá the content appeared. That said and to get back to MG2009's issue...

1. With the shutdown Monitor log selected click here and drag the bottom pane boundary higher until hopefully you can see the entire Shutdown Monitor Log text
  2. Click anywhere in that text and press ⌘A to select the entire text
  3. Select that text and press ⌘C to copy it to the clip board.
  4. Reply to this post on FineTunedMac and press ⌘V to paste the text into your reply

General Question: Does anyone else see the Shutdown monitor log in your Log Reports? I am not, but then I am running Sonoma.

--Walt Disney
joemikeb #64233 07/16/23 04:59 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Here's the data.

I have attached a snippet as the LOG is the same as this sample . . . just repeats 200+ times with only the numbers in the [ ] changing.

Sampling completed, generating report...
[1939]: Unable to spawn ddt: 3 (No such process)
[129]: Unable to spawn ddt: 3 (No such process)
[702]: Unable to spawn ddt: 3 (No such process)
diskarbitrationd [132]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
com.apple.DriverKit-IOUserDockC [380]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
Saved shutdown report
[674]: Unable to spawn ddt: 3 (No such process)
[436]: Unable to spawn ddt: 3 (No such process)
securityd [153]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
com.apple.DriverKit-IOUserDockC [342]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
[603]: Unable to spawn ddt: 3 (No such process)

. . . etc.

Many thanks,
MG2009
joemikeb #64237 07/16/23 05:44 PM

I've got that log (macOS 13.4.1 (c ):
Code
 [773]: Unable to spawn ddt: 3 (No such process)
securityd [132]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
com.apple.DriverKit-IOUserDockC [480]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
com.apple.AppleUserHIDDrivers [481]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
ccpd [1084]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
ccpd [1123]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
captmoncnabc [1124]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
Saved shutdown report
 [841]: Unable to spawn ddt: 3 (No such process)
com.apple.DriverKit-IOUserDockC [388]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
com.apple.AppleUserHIDDrivers [389]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
ccpd [790]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
ccpd [801]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
captmoncnabc [804]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
Saved shutdown report
com.apple.DriverKit-IOUserDockC [386]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
com.apple.AppleUserHIDDrivers [387]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
ccpd [798]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
ccpd [808]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
captmoncnabc [809]: Unable to spawn ddt: 2 (No such file or directory)
Saved shutdown report
Ad infinitum
This is hysterical! After NEVER having worked for me, Text Replacements has begun working, which I discovered when © appeared, thus the above (c ). (Note the space after the c.) Thanks Apple for the security updates which enabled me to discover this. I've got no idea when the change occurred, but I remember having tried not all that long ago.

artie505 #64238 07/16/23 06:56 PM

Hmmm... I now suspect that Text Replacements has always worked, but since I never typed anything - space or character - in my tests after my entry, it never activated.

MG2009 #64240 07/17/23 01:40 AM

Since you and Artie are seeing essentially identical logs it would appear to be normal for Ventura on Intel Macs and likely unrelated to MG2009’s presenting issue. But, I still believe there are some bread crumbs buried in the logs — the trick is finding them. Unfortunately the way search works in Console may not help. I would still give Extrecheck a try but another possibility would be Arnie’s favorite utility FindAnyFile. A search for any file with an extension of .log, including system and invisible files containing the word “shutdown” might turn up the pertinent log.

--Walt Disney
joemikeb #64245 07/17/23 05:41 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Just wondering . . . Is there any chance that downloading and reinstalling Ventura would fix the issue? Thoughts?

Many thanks,
MG2009
joemikeb #64246 07/17/23 06:22 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

I used FindAnyFile : Search ALL DISKS / NAME / CONTAINS / SHUTDOWN . . . with 139 matches.

https://imgur.com/a/43db8il

https://imgur.com/a/HiGGBSR

The vast majority of entries were well over a week ago. The images on Imgur show items since the problem arose this past week. I am not seeing anything scary in there. (??)

Note: Note sure why the "Adult Warning" appears for the second link - unless it's the near collision video below on the same page or the kittens nursing (!!!!).

Last edited by MG2009; 07/17/23 06:46 PM. Reason: "Warning"

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #64248 07/17/23 06:39 PM

Before you do anything that drastic, my Idiots Guide to Computing says to launch OnyX, click on the maintenance tab/run tasks.

It fixed a similar problem I had with Monterey.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #64250 07/17/23 07:03 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

THAT WORKED, freelance.

I shut down the computer and rebooted . . . and the popup did not appear. Hopefully that will be a permanent fix to the issue.

P.S. I have added a codicil to My Will naming you as a beneficiary. (Actually, I haven't, but the sentiment is there. Thanks.)

Thanks to everyone else who chimed in, too.

MG2009 #64251 07/18/23 07:47 AM

I have added a codicil to My Will naming you as a beneficiary.

I want to know who you are and where you live.

grin

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
MG2009 #64258 07/19/23 05:31 PM

I used FindAnyFile : Search ALL DISKS / NAME / CONTAINS / SHUTDOWN . . . with 139 matches.

https://imgur.com/a/43db8il

https://imgur.com/a/HiGGBSR

The vast majority of entries were well over a week ago. The images on Imgur show items since the problem arose this past week. I am not seeing anything scary in there. (??)

OnyX may have deleted the log files, but if any of them still exist on your computer, you might try opening one and see if the contents reveal any information on the cause of the error.

--Walt Disney
joemikeb #64281 07/22/23 09:40 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Actually, prior to writing the OP here, I dug around the internet. Although others have had the same pop-up message, they had no cause or (actual) solution to offer.

Therefore, I did not even look into the "cause" further since folks far more "in the know" than I weren't able to discern it. Just happy to have the solution provided by freelance and Onyx. (The problem has not re-surfaced.)

Many thanks,
MG2009

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard