for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sonoma Public Beta is Live
#64211 07/14/23 06:53 PM
OP Online

Sonoma (macOS 14.0), iOS 17.0, iPadOS 17.0, and watchOS 10.0 public BETAS are live and available for installation.

No significant glitches so far but several
Originally Posted by warning
Deprecated API
notify your developer
popups. Most of which seen related to UI related apps from small developers.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/14/23 08:21 PM. Reason: Emphasize BETA

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Sonoma Public Beta is Live
joemikeb #64212 07/14/23 07:57 PM

I reported a while ago that the Ventura 13.4 update added an option to enroll in the public beta program to my Software Update pane, but at the time, Ira didn't see the same option. Dunno what's up with that, and he was the only one to comment.

I'm going to pass, because I don't use enough of macOS's functionality to be any sort of a helpful contributor.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64213 07/14/23 08:32 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by artie505
I reported a while ago that the Ventura 13.4 update added an option to enroll in the public beta program to my Software Update pane, but at the time, Ira didn't see the same option. Dunno what's up with that, and he was the only one to comment.

I can't say for sure, but I suspect Ira's Mac won't support Sonoma, so the option was not offered to him.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64214 07/14/23 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb

I can't say for sure, but I suspect Ira's Mac won't support Sonoma, so the option was not offered to him.
"Currently: 24" M1 iMac, 27""

You're far more knowledgeable than I am, but I'd guess that any M1 can certainly support Sonoma.

Perhaps he upgraded to the M1 after he posted, and his current profile doesn't reflect the Mac he was running at the time, which may have been incompatible.

Ira?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64216 07/15/23 04:21 PM

"Currently: 24" M1 iMac, 27""

You're far more knowledgeable than I am, but I'd guess that any M1 can certainly support Sonoma.

Perhaps he upgraded to the M1 after he posted, and his current profile doesn't reflect the Mac he was running at the time, which may have been incompatible.

Ira?

OK, thank you everyone for reminding me to update my signature. The 27" iMac is no more, after 9 years of great service.

My public enrollment comments were made after all of my upgrades and I still do not seen the public enrollment beta options. You can see from my signature hardware that my setups will support Sonoma.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #64218 07/15/23 05:01 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by Ira's signature
On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 13; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Supposedly the beta option should be offered to every user on a compatible device with the latest OS release version or beta version installed. Ira's updated signature indicates macOS 13 but not the dot release (macOS 13.0, 13.1, 13.2,13.3, etc.). Given the fact that announced OS features or functionalities may not be turned on (or off) until mid or even late dot releases, could that be why Ira is not seeing the beta version as an option in Software Update? confused

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #64220 07/15/23 07:09 PM

"iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads"

No longer galore?

joemikeb #64221 07/15/23 07:10 PM

The option turned up in 13.4.

artie505 #64225 07/15/23 09:58 PM
OP Online

The option turned up in 13.4.

I don't keep up with the dot releases because there will usually be several betas of each dot release and I lose track.

Speaking of which, no major glitches with Sonoma so far, but multiple minor cosmetic glitches in third party apps, and a couple of iPadOS apps that won't run on My Studio. So far, I have encountered no issues in iOS 17, iPadOS 17, watchOS 10 or any of their apps. Some of the major Apple apps such as Health have migrated from the iPhone to the iPad and the Apple Watch and that has been completely seamless. It is obvious there have been numerous UI tweaks under the hood on all the Apple platforms and based on the number of deprecated API notices I anticipate a lot of older, no longer actively supported, third party apps to go dark in 2024 or 2025 so there are bound to be some old "can't live without it" apps that will have to be replaced.

So far, the most notable common theme among all the platforms is widgets, widgets everywhere, widgets anywhere.

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #64234 07/16/23 05:31 PM

IRA:

Posted an iPOD question for you in the appropriate forum.

Many thanks,
MG2009
joemikeb #64241 07/17/23 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ira's signature
On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 13; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Supposedly the beta option should be offered to every user on a compatible device with the latest OS release version or beta version installed. Ira's updated signature indicates macOS 13 but not the dot release (macOS 13.0, 13.1, 13.2,13.3, etc.). Given the fact that announced OS features or functionalities may not be turned on (or off) until mid or even late dot releases, could that be why Ira is not seeing the beta version as an option in Software Update? confused

Picky, Picky, Picky. grin 13.4.1(c)

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
artie505 #64243 07/17/23 04:44 PM

"iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads"

No longer galore?

Maybe going for something a little less pretentious. wink

On a Mac since 1984.
joemikeb #64276 07/22/23 02:50 PM
OP Online

BETA OBSERVATIONS

1. Sonoma (macOS 14.0) is the smoothest upgrade in memory and so are iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and Watch 10.
  2. As is now common practice, a few apps that shut themselves down because they have not yet been tested on the new OS.
  3. One or two third party apps have minor display glitches but continue to work.
  4. Some apps already have releases or betas "adjusted" for Sonoma but the Ventura versions still work
  5. Most apps are unaffected by the upgrade.
  6. The only new feature that I can't get to work is making web sites into apps
  7. Pretty much all the settings stayed in the same place from Ventura
  8. Both the logical and physical structure are unchanged from Ventura
  9. My system is rock-solid stable in operation
  10. UI tweaks are attractive but not overwhelming.

IN MY OPINION

• Other than its rock-solid stability I have not found any feature that would make Sonoma a must-have upgrade. However, I would strongly encourage anyone with a compatible Mac to do so. The learning curve is virtually nil and the stability is really nice.
  • iPadOS 17 has gained the Health app from iOS and for users of the Health app that alone is enough to make iPadOS 17 a must-have upgrade.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64330 07/31/23 02:53 PM

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #64331 07/31/23 09:48 PM
OP Online

Which is probably why the second PUBLIC beta has not yet been released. I am still dealing with an issue affecting Apple Studio and Mac Pro computers when attaching an external enclosure with two or more NVME drives. Attaching the enclosure causes instantaneous Kernel Panic, followed by repeated reboots. It was reportedly fixed in the third Sonoma Developer beta, but has yet to make it into a Public beta release of either Ventura or Sonoma. Could the Sonoma Developer beta issue be the result of a fix for my issue with unanticipated side effects? confused

Whatever the case, it is a safe bet the Sonoma developer team is losing a lot of sleep these days.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64332 07/31/23 10:27 PM
OP Online

I posted the previous message and voilá Sonoma Public Beta 2 appeared. It is less than half an hour later and Sonoma (macOS 14.0) Public beta 2 is up and running along with my NVME array. Not a hitch or problem in sight. Only six more devices to update. (Now if I can just figure out a solution to my woodturning project.)

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard