FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Glimmer of Understanding
#64094 06/21/23 08:06 PM
OP Online

Apple Configurator 2 TIDBIT

After a detailed re-reading of the Apple Configurator 2 User's Manual, which is contained in the Apple Configurator 2 Help file, I just realized why it is necessary to run Apple Configurator from another computer that also explains why neither the installer or clone utility can create the iCSPreboot volume. An essential part of Apple Configurator involves updating/reviving/refreshing the firmware on the target system and you cannot modify firmware or software while it is in use. This all takes place at a very low level in the target system's hardware and requires the target computer to be connected to the configuring Mac via USB data and power cable (a Thunderbolt cable will not work) and it must be plugged into a specific port on the target computer (the specific port is unique to the model of the target computer).

By-the-way Apple Configurator 2 can also revive/restore iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, as well as Intel and Apple Silicon Macs but only Apple TVs can be revived wirelessly. I have yet to find any mention of Apple Watches.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: A Glimmer of Understanding
joemikeb #64098 06/22/23 08:56 AM

Complicateder and complicateder, said Alice!

Am I correct in assuming that the USB cable can be plugged into a Thunderbolt port with an adaptor?

And if so, why must it be USB?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64099 06/22/23 09:57 AM

And have you any idea why it must be a USB cable?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64101 06/22/23 05:50 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by artie505
Am I correct in assuming that the USB cable can be plugged into a Thunderbolt port with an adaptor?

The documentation assumes it is a USB cable with Type C connectors, but I see no reason why a type A to type C adaptor would not work other than the adapter might not be 100% compliant with the standards.

And if so, why must it be USB?

Because...
  1. ...the manual emphatically specifies USB and explicitely states Thunderbolt 3 cables will not work? (Had I known this previously, I would have had better success using Apple Configurator 2 when I managed to entirely erase the boot drive on an M1 Mac mini, but I was using instructions from a third party that were not as thorough as the AC2 User Manual.)
  2. ...USB is implemented entirely in hardware.
  3. ...Firewire is at least one protocol layer above USB and requires firmware to function.
  4. ...One of the primary functions of Apple Configurator 2 is to update/revise/refresh the firmware
  5. ...the firmware cannot be updated/refreshed/revived while it is in use

And have you any idea why it must be a USB cable?

PLAUSABLE DENIABILITY: the following is somewhere between fuzzy speculation and a wild-a**-guess. I would have to dig a lot deeper into the hardware standards and implementation to do any better.
  1. USB is implemented entirely in hardware.
  2. There is a level of intelligence in the Thunderbolt connector
  3. Firewire is at least one protocol layer above USB and requires firmware to function.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64107 06/23/23 10:02 AM

Thanks for that. It answers my questions without exceeding my ability to understand the answers.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard