for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Documents
#64076 06/19/23 10:37 PM
OP Offline

All of my documents are not listed under "documents" in the Finder. Can you tell me where else they may be besides iCloud which I don't use? I definitely have not deleted them.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Documents
plantsower #64077 06/20/23 01:58 AM

Hi, Rita, have you tried searching for one of the missing docs?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64078 06/20/23 02:03 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
Hi, Rita, have you tried searching for one of the missing docs?

Where do I search from? That was kind of my question. And unfortunately, I don't remember all the titles which makes it a moot point.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #64079 06/20/23 04:11 AM

Use any one title you remember as a Find Any File search term, and see where it takes you.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64080 06/20/23 05:20 AM
OP Offline

1. I only ever used FAF or EasyFind to get rid of files deposited on my Mac via an App I want to get rid of. It never enters my head to use those apps to find documents.

2. I just did a search using FAF and no documents come up using some of the words I can remember in my documents. I make those documents with the Bean word processor for Mac. I decided to do a test and look up documents that I do know the names of and they didn't show up either even though I can get them to show up by putting them in Spotlight though that doesn't work for the documents I can't remember the names of completely.

I guess I need another way to find documents that I have created.

I did click on i-Cloud via the side bar of Finder (even though I don't use i-cloud) and a documents folder came up but it was empty.

Now what?
confused

Use any one title you remember as a Find Any File search term, and see where it takes you.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #64081 06/20/23 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I just did a search using FAF and no documents come up using some of the words I can remember in my documents. I make those documents with the Bean word processor for Mac. I decided to do a test and look up documents that I do know the names of and they didn't show up either even though I can get them to show up by putting them in Spotlight though that doesn't work for the documents I can't remember the names of completely.
I'm able to locate docs by inputting just one word from either their titles or contents, so I wonder if maybe your search parameters aren't correct. Please post a screenshot.

artie505 #64082 06/20/23 09:58 AM

And have you looked on your backup?

artie505 #64086 06/21/23 03:43 AM
OP Offline

Here is a copy of my backup. So many things grayed out for some reason. Clicked on the applications icon in SuperDuper then clicked on Bean word processor but still don't have all the info I want. Also, this error message showed up when I clicked on the Safari icon which was grayed out for some reason. I wonder why that would happen. I use Safari everyday, not Safari Tech for now.

And have you looked on your backup?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #64088 06/21/23 09:13 AM

Dunno quite what's up with the error message, but the greyed out items are invisibles that normally wouldn't show up, but for some reason are.

I'd expect your missing docs to be somewhere in the Users folder. (A column view screenshot would be much more informative.)

artie505 #64092 06/21/23 05:33 PM
OP Offline

OK. It could be a week or two or three. I am in the middle of moving. Lots of chaos and hoping all my stuff will fit into the storage unit. Might have to pare down some more. frown
Dunno quite what's up with the error message, but the greyed out items are invisibles that normally wouldn't show up, but for some reason are.

I'd expect your missing docs to be somewhere in the Users folder. (A column view screenshot would be much more informative.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #64120 06/24/23 03:40 PM

Rita, most of us only use FindAnyFile at its most primitive level, but quick look at the file:///Applications/Find%20Any%20File.app/Contents/Resources/manual.html will reveal search options few of us have ever dreamed of. What is missing in FAF and Spotlight is the ability to perform a wildcard search where
Originally Posted by EasyFind help
Icon * : Matches none, one, or multiple characters
Icon [a-b] : Matches a range of characters
Icon [a|b|c|...] or [abc...] : Matches a choice of characters
Icon [^...] : Excludes characters
Icon ? : Matches exactly one character

Example:
Icon Demo* : Everything starting with 'Demo' (Prefix)
Icon *ing : Everything ending with ing (Suffix)
Icon NS*.h : Everything starting with NS and ending with .h (e.g. all C header files)
Icon ?ouse : All words with five characters and ending with ouse (e.g. 'mouse' or 'house')
Icon [a-ez]* : Everything starting with a, b, c, d, e, or z
Icon [d-fk-j]*[gh] : Everything starting with d, e, f, k, i, or j, and ending with g or h
Icon [^be]* : Everything not starting with b or e

EasyFind is a Free app from Devon Technologies I think may be very helpful in finding and recovering all of your files. Devon Technologies also offers DevonSphere for $9.95 that is an even more sophisticated version of EasyFind that adds AI functionality to analyze and rank the files it finds in its search.

Before you ask, I use all three plus one more...
  • FindAnyFile is my first choice for deleting apps
  • EasyFind is slower but the wild card ability finds data that I would otherwise miss
  • DevonSphere is the best when searching for information on a Topic, especially when I know there is a lot of data on that topic on my computer
  • DevonAgent ($4.95 to $49.95) is essentially DevonSphere for the web and beats h*** out of any search engine for research.

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with Devon Technologies other than that of being a satisfied customer and user of all of their products.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard