for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Logitech optical Mouse not connecting
#63808 04/20/23 02:27 AM
OP Offline

I have a Logitech optical mouse and one of those little receivers. The receiver is plugged into my iMac. All of a sudden my mouse won't work. I replaced the batteries but still nothing. It has a connect button on the bottom but no on/off button. The receiver has a connect button too. I pressed both separately and then together but still nothing. Any ideas. I can't use my iMac without my mouse I don't think, plus I don't want to.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Logitech optical Mouse not connecting
plantsower #63809 04/20/23 06:21 PM

The best I could find is reset the mouse as follows:

1. Remove dongle/receiver from the USB port

2. Remove battery from the mouse

3. After a short pause, reinsert the battery

4. Reinsert dongle/receiver

Mouse should work but if not:
5. Press and hold the connect button on the mouse until it flashes

6. Try another USB port

From what I found on the Internet, the setup you describe is quite old (?) and that could be part of the problem. Given enough time everything dies. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #63810 04/20/23 06:35 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ira. I removed the batteries again and put them back. I saw a red light flash but it went out. I rolled the batteries around in the mouse and then I got the red light to flicker and then stay on. It works now. I will keep your instructions for the future because, as you say, this is an old setup. I want to keep it working as long as I can. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Ira L
The best I could find is reset the mouse as follows:

1. Remove dongle/receiver from the USB port

2. Remove battery from the mouse

3. After a short pause, reinsert the battery

4. Reinsert dongle/receiver

5. Press and hold the connect button on the mouse until it flashes

6. Try another USB port

From what I found on the Internet, the setup you describe is quite old (?) and that could be part of the problem. Given enough time everything dies. smirk

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63811 04/20/23 11:06 PM

Glad your mouse is working again but future reference.

The next time your dentist sends you home with a paper bag filled with the requisite travel size toothpaste, spool of dental floss, and yet another toothbrush, put the toothbrush in your "I know I put it somewhere, but where" drawer along with the box of AAA alkaline batteries you keep on hand to feed your elderly Kensington mouse and any pencil stub that still has a usable eraser. Then every time you feed your mouse, give the mouse's positive contacts a quick polish with the eraser and use the toothbrush to clean out the battery compartment, especially any corrosion and eraser dust.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63812 04/20/23 11:20 PM
OP Offline

As you may have guessed, I keep things I need for as long as possible including shoes and clothes. And I got cheated. I have two dentists that I go to and neither one gives me the goodies like that like my retired dentist did.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Glad your mouse is working again but future reference.

The next time your dentist sends you home with a paper bag filled with the requisite travel size toothpaste, spool of dental floss, and yet another toothbrush, put the toothbrush in your "I know I put it somewhere, but where" drawer along with the box of AAA alkaline batteries you keep on hand to feed your elderly Kensington mouse and any pencil stub that still has a usable eraser. Then every time you feed your mouse, give the mouse's positive contacts a quick polish with the eraser and use the toothbrush to clean out the battery compartment, especially any corrosion and eraser dust.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard