for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Importing from Safari Tech to Safari
#63803 04/18/23 03:24 AM
OP Offline

I'm having problems with Safari Tech not loading websites unless I quit it and go back in. I thought I would import my bookmarks and passwords from Safari Tech to Safari but I can't find a way to do it. Or I could export from Safari Tech to Safari. Under File, import/export, there is no option to do this. It says I can import from Firefox but that's all. Any ideas how I can do this? Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Importing from Safari Tech to Safari
plantsower #63804 04/18/23 04:38 PM

Safari and Safari Technology Preview use the same bookmark files, so there is no reason or need to import bookmarks from one to the other. Safari Technology Preview is exactly that - a preview of future features that MAY appear in a future version of Safari. More like an alpha, rather than beta, version. (Or to use another analogy, a tryout in Poughkeepsie to see if it is worth spending the development money to take it off Broadway or even the Great White Way itself.) So, as the internet evolves, STP will likely be the first to adapt, but that means taking a risk and not everything works every time.

I irregularly alternate between the two, every few weeks to every few months based on experience. Right now I am using Safari as my default browser, because I was having annoying problems using STP on some sites. As far as bookmarks go, the only way to tell the difference I have found is to look at the Application ID on the Menu Bar.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Importing from Safari Tech to Safari
joemikeb #63805 04/18/23 04:55 PM
OP Offline

Oh man, I had no idea. I checked and yes the bookmarks and passwords are all there. Thanks.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Safari and Safari Technology Preview use the same bookmark files, so there is no reason or need to import bookmarks from one to the other. Safari Technology Preview is exactly that - a preview of future features that MAY appear in a future version of Safari. More like an alpha, rather than beta, version. (Or to use another analogy, a tryout in Poughkeepsie to see if it is worth spending the development money to take it off Broadway or even the Great White Way itself.) So, as the internet evolves, STP will likely be the first to adapt, but that means taking a risk and not everything works every time.

I irregularly alternate between the two, every few weeks to every few months based on experience. Right now I am using Safari as my default browser, because I was having annoying problems using STP on some sites. As far as bookmarks go, the only way to tell the difference I have found is to look at the Application ID on the Menu Bar.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard