FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to change name on SD card image
#63432 02/13/23 03:03 AM
OP Offline

My SD card says Catalina and I want it to say Ventura. I tried clicking on the name on the desk top under the sd image but it didn't work. That's how I change the name of folders, but it doesn't seem to work in this situation.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: How to change name on SD card image
plantsower #63433 02/13/23 04:19 AM

I just tried to change my thumb drive's name on my desktop, and it worked. (Select icon, hit "return," " change name, hit "return" again.)

(Also, if you do a Get Info (command-I) on the desktop icon you can change its name in the window that pops up.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63434 02/13/23 04:25 AM
OP Offline

I tried both ways. Neither one worked. Do you have Ventura?

Originally Posted by artie505
I just tried to change my thumb drive's name on my desktop, and it worked. (Select icon, hit "return," " change name, hit "return" again.)

(Also, if you do a Get Info (command-I) on the desktop icon you can change its name in the window that pops up.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63435 02/13/23 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I tried both ways. Neither one worked. Do you have Ventura?

Yup, I'm running Ventura....dunno what's up on your end.

OK, you said you no longer had Catalina on your SD card, which I take to literally mean that it's got NO data on it.

If that's the case, select it in Disk Utility and hit "Erase," and the window that pops up will allow you to change the card's name. (You'll have to run the "Erase.")

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63436 02/13/23 04:39 AM
OP Offline

Oops! I just didn't have the card pushed in far enough. I do still have the data on Catalina. It hasn't updated to Ventura yet because I haven't had it plugged in properly. I was hoping I could still do the migration thing. I went into applications on the SD and found Safari Tech which is what I mostly use, and it said I can't use it on this machine since I have Ventura. Dang! I wonder if I should try to use migration assistant like you mentioned before? If it takes awhile, I will try tomorrow. Maybe if it migrates ok I maybe can change the name?

OK, you said you no longer had Catalina on your SD card, which I take to literally mean that it's got NO data on it.

If that's the case, select it in Disk Utility and hit "Erase," and the window that pops up will allow you to change the card's name. (You'll have to run the "Erase.") [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63437 02/13/23 05:20 AM

Oops! I just didn't have the card pushed in far enough. I do still have the data on Catalina. It hasn't updated to Ventura yet because I haven't had it plugged in properly. I was hoping I could still do the migration thing. I went into applications on the SD and found Safari Tech which is what I mostly use, and it said I can't use it on this machine since I have Ventura. Dang! I wonder if I should try to use migration assistant like you mentioned before? If it takes awhile, I will try tomorrow. Maybe if it migrates ok I maybe can change the name?
This has been an adventure! tongue

I've looked around a bit, and you can definitely migrate from your SD card if it's in a proper format. If it's bootable, it'll go. If it's not, I dunno, because it'll be a situation I've never run into before.

When you launch Migration Assistant it'll ask you to select a source, and if "Catalina" is offered, select it an gooo. Select all the options it offers you, and do the password thing for you account. (You don't have to change your p/w.)

I can't guess how long it'll take, because I don't know how much data is involved, but once you get past the password part you can just let it run and be surprised in the morning.

Once you've migrated successfully, you're done with the card for the moment and can erase it and rename it and clone Ventura onto it.

And you can d/l the current version of STP here.

I'm not sure how to deal with all the docs on your desktop, but we can deal with that after we see what happens with MA.

artie505 #63438 02/13/23 05:28 AM
OP Offline

This has been an adventure! tongue. An adventure for sure. I put all those documents into blank (unnamed) folders to sort for later and now I can't find those folders. They left my desktop! But I am finding other folders from the old Mac on there now. Don't ask. I will try the migration thing and see how it goes. It can't be any worse than it is. I already downloaded STP onto my new Mac yesterday.

I've looked around a bit, and you can definitely migrate from your SD card if it's in a proper format. If it's bootable, it'll go. If it's not, I dunno, because it'll be a situation I've never run into before.

When you launch Migration Assistant it'll ask you to select a source, and if "Catalina" is offered, select it an gooo. Select all the options it offers you, and do the password thing for you account. (You don't have to change your p/w.)

I can't guess how long it'll take, because I don't know how much data is involved, but once you get past the password part you can just let it run and be surprised in the morning.

Once you've migrated successfully, you're done with the card for the moment and can erase it and rename it and clone Ventura onto it.

And you can d/l the current version of STP here.

I'm not sure how to deal with all the docs on your desktop, but we can deal with that after we see what happens with MA. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63439 02/13/23 05:40 AM

I put all those documents into blank (unnamed) folders to sort for later and now I can't find those folders. They left my desktop! But I am finding other folders from the old Mac on there now.
The immediate appearance of the data "on your desktop" when you clicked on your SD is downright IMPOSSIBLE, which is why I guessed that you were looking at a SD/Catalina window rather than your desktop, and the folders' disappearance after you restarted pretty much confirms my suspicions.

I don't know what's up with the other old folders.

artie505 #63440 02/13/23 05:43 AM
OP Offline

Me either. I am totally confused. Can't wait until this is all cleared up.

I put all those documents into blank (unnamed) folders to sort for later and now I can't find those folders. They left my desktop! But I am finding other folders from the old Mac on there now.
The immediate appearance of the data "on your desktop" when you clicked on your SD is downright IMPOSSIBLE, which is why I guessed that you were looking at a SD/Catalina window rather than your desktop, and the folders' disappearance after you restarted pretty much confirms my suspicions.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #63441 02/13/23 06:06 AM
OP Offline

I tried Migration Assistant and got a failure notice. I can't get past it. Migration Asst. Error. Time to go to bed.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63442 02/13/23 06:43 AM

I tried Migration Assistant and got a failure notice. I can't get past it. Migration Asst. Error.
I've never run into your "Logging out failed" error.

Ordinarily, migration is done immediately after installation, and that may be pertinent, but I suspect it's because your SD card isn't formatted suitably.

This may be a job for tech support.

Take a look in System Info > Startup Disk and tell us if your Catalina clone is listed.

artie505 #63443 02/13/23 11:01 PM
OP Offline

I didn't see the words startup disk under get info. But I was able to migrate everything fine. I'm just having some weird problems like my phone and my Mac not syncing with messages. Once in awhile it asks for my email password and my Apple ID for no apparent reasons. It's not doing it as much now but for awhile it was constant.

Take a look in System Info > Startup Disk and tell us if your Catalina clone is listed. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63444 02/13/23 11:35 PM

I didn't see the words startup disk under get info. But I was able to migrate everything fine.
Sorry for not being explicit. I meant to look in Apps/System Settings > General > Startup Disk to see if your SD card is listed as a bootable option.

Maybe it's moot, though.

How were you able to get past the failure pop-up and migrate everything?

artie505 #63445 02/13/23 11:42 PM
OP Offline

Sorry for not being explicit. I meant to look in Apps/System Settings > General > Startup Disk to see if your SD card is listed as a bootable option. In general I see the Catalina icon after clicking startup disk. But still haven't found a day to change the name. I right clicked it but nothing.

Maybe it's moot, though.

How were you able to get past the failure pop-up and migrate everything? [/quote] It popped up that I needed to put in my Apple ID after awhile. After I did that, it started working.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63446 02/14/23 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by artie
How were you able to get past the failure pop-up and migrate everything?
It popped up that I needed to put in my Apple ID after awhile. After I did that, it started working.
Whew! I guess that saga has finally come to an end.

I wonder why Migration Assistant didn't ask for your Apple ID immediately? It's a good thing you were persistent.

Important: In the future, if you resolve an issue on your own, please don't just post "I fixed it, or the like." There are any number of people following these threads who are anxious to know HOW you resolved it, so please give us precise details.

...I see the Catalina icon after clicking startup disk. But .still haven't found a day to change the name. I right clicked it but nothing.
There are three ways of changing that name of which I'm aware:
First:
  1. Click - NOT CONTROL/RIGHT CLICK - on the icon on your desktop.
  2. Hit "return," and it should change to an editable format,.
  3. Change the name.
  4. Hit "return" to restore its normal appearance.

Second: Do a "Get Info" (command-I) on the icon on your desktop, and you should be able to change the name in the pop-up.

Third:
Once you're certain that you've gotten all your info transferred from your old MBP to your new one, you'll want to erase the SD card (to clone Ventura onto it).
  1. Launch Disk Utility.
  2. Select the Catalina volume in the sidebar.
  3. Click on "Erase."
  4. "Catalina" will be blue/selected in the resultant pop-up.
  5. Change it to Ventura.
  6. Proceed with the erasure.

artie505 #63447 02/14/23 05:17 PM

I admit to being confused about the sequence of events, but I am really confused about how the Catalina volume got on the drive of Rita's new laptop running Ventura. Just to be on the safe side, I would like to see a screenshot of the Disk Utility sidebar (it should look something like this) before anything is changed or erased.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63449 02/14/23 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I admit to being confused about the sequence of events, but I am really confused about how the Catalina volume got on the drive of Rita's new laptop running Ventura.
I'm not the least bit surprised by your confusion. This saga is spread out over at least three different threads, and even having been deeply involved in it, I've had my own trouble keeping track of what's been going on.

The Catalina we've been discussing isn't on the drive of Rita's new MBP. It's the name on the icon of her SD card (which houses her clone of the Catalina volume on her old MBP) which appears on her desktop.

It's only on her new MBP's desktop as a mounted external volume, and she wants to change the name of the card from Catalina to Ventura, since it will eventually house her Ventura clone.

joemikeb #63450 02/14/23 08:49 PM
OP Offline

Here you go: D/U I'm not sure what ClipGrab is doing on there. I like it for downloading videos, but I didn't know it would be there.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I admit to being confused about the sequence of events, but I am really confused about how the Catalina volume got on the drive of Rita's new laptop running Ventura. Just to be on the safe side, I would like to see a screenshot of the Disk Utility sidebar (it should look something like this) before anything is changed or erased.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #63451 02/14/23 09:13 PM
OP Offline

Important: In the future, if you resolve an issue on your own, please don't just post "I fixed it, or the like." There are any number of people following these threads who are anxious to know HOW you resolved it, so please give us precise details. Ok, I will try to remember that.

First:
[list=1]Click - NOT CONTROL/RIGHT CLICK - on the icon on your desktop.[*]Hit "return," and it should change to an editable format,.[*]Change the name.[*]Hit "return" to restore its normal appearance.Tried that just now. Nothing.

Second: Do a "Get Info" (command-I) on the icon on your desktop, and you should be able to change the name in the pop-up. That didn't work either. I did a screen shot of my Get Info but it wouldn't let me blur out my name. There is a lock on the bottom right that it won't let me unlock either, so I'm stuck. I've always been able to do that before.

Third:
Once you're certain that you've gotten all your info transferred from your old MBP to your new one, you'll want to erase the SD card (to clone Ventura onto it).
[list=1]Launch Disk Utility.[*]Select the Catalina volume in the sidebar.[*]Click on "Erase."[*]"Catalina" will be blue/selected in the resultant pop-up.[*]Change it to Ventura.[*]Proceed with the erasure. I may have to do that since the easier ways aren't working. frown

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63452 02/14/23 09:26 PM

Here you go: D/U I'm not sure what ClipGrab is doing on there. I like it for downloading videos, but I didn't know it would be there.
ClipGrab is there because it's a mounted disk image somewhere. You can eject it by clicking on the eject icon in DU.

Last edited by artie505; 02/14/23 09:34 PM. Reason: Rewrite

artie505 #63453 02/14/23 09:31 PM
OP Offline

I want ClipGrab. I just thought it was like every other app and didn't need to be where it was.

ClipGrab is there because it's a mounted disk image somewhere. You should be able to find it in Finder...maybe in your sidebar, and eject it

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63454 02/14/23 09:31 PM

[list=1]Launch Disk Utility.[*]Select the Catalina volume in the sidebar.[*]Click on "Erase."[*]"Catalina" will be blue/selected in the resultant pop-up.[*]Change it to Ventura.[*]Proceed with the erasure. I may have to do that since the easier ways aren't working. frown
I dunno why options 1 & 2 aren't working for you. Maybe it's a function of your M2 that doesn't manifest itself on my Intel MBP.

At any rate, you're gonna have to erase the SD card eventually to clone Monterey onto it, so change the name when you reach that point.

plantsower #63455 02/14/23 09:39 PM

I want ClipGrab. I just thought it was like every other app and didn't need to be where it was.
Under ordinary circumstances, the disk image is a relic from ClipGrab's installation, and ejecting it shouldn't affect the app's functioning at all.

plantsower #63456 02/14/23 09:47 PM
OP Offline

Important: In the future, if you resolve an issue on your own, please don't just post "I fixed it, or the like." There are any number of people following these threads who are anxious to know HOW you resolved it, so please give us precise details. Ok, I will try to remember that.

First:
[list=1]Click - NOT CONTROL/RIGHT CLICK - on the icon on your desktop.[*]Hit "return," and it should change to an editable format,.[*]Change the name.[*]Hit "return" to restore its normal appearance.Tried that just now. Nothing.

Second: Do a "Get Info" (command-I) on the icon on your desktop, and you should be able to change the name in the pop-up. That didn't work either. I did a screen shot of my Get Info but it wouldn't let me blur out my name. There is a lock on the bottom right that it won't let me unlock either, so I'm stuck. I've always been able to do that before.

Third:

Addendum:
Oh brother. Of course I can't change the lock position on a screen shot, silly me. But I should be able to blur our my name and it doesn't work. I did it on another screen shot but just not this one. Maybe I will screen shoot it again and see if it will work. I'm want to show you the screen shot because it says I have read and write permission but just above that it says I have read only permission which doesn't make sense. I'm tired of it telling me that documents that I personally created I don't have permission to change, and that seems to include the name of my SD card. I thought I was losing my mind because I couldn't blur out anything on the Get Info screen shot. So I made another screen shot of a random part of a webpage, and I could do it. Maybe Get Info screen shots can't be modified?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #63457 02/14/23 09:48 PM
OP Offline

At any rate, you're gonna have to erase the SD card eventually to clone Monterey onto it, so change the name when you reach that point. [/quote] You mean Ventura, right?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard