FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper
plantsower #62855 11/24/22 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Oh no. This is what I am calling the SD card because it is so big. Flash drive not SD card But now it's saying flash drive. I give up. Maybe just a USB C thingy.
First off, these are the specs of the flash drive to which you just linked: Weight ‎0.112 ounces/Dimensions ‎0.9 x 0.7 x 0.3 inches, i.e., it's not very big at all.

This is the SD card to which joemike linked.

You don't want to go with USB C, because it may not be compatible with your Thunderbolt 3.

Your options are SD card, flash drive, or (EXPENSIVE) SSD.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #62856 11/24/22 09:08 PM

Which means they are taking away yet another useful item, right.

More like they are taking away a device that has outlived its usefulness. Given the market's demand for ever thinner, lighter laptops with ever bigger batteries (a.k.a. longer battery life) and something had to go. The SD card was initially developed for use in digital cameras where they continue to dominate because of its form factor, but are rapidly being replaced by significantly smaller, micro SD cards with the same storage capacity. SD slots were included on laptops and other computers as a means of transferring images from cameras to computers, but Bluetooth has largely supplanted that use and SD cards, arguably the slowest and least reliable available option, are the logical thing to leave out. My 2022 Apple Studio still has an SD slot, although it is never used. Instead, I find it more convenient to use a USB stick that reads both SD and micro SD cards and has both Type A and Type C connectors, and works on all my devices.

That said, your decision to use the SD card slot should work well.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62857 11/24/22 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
...SD cards, arguably the slowest and least reliable available option, are the logical thing to leave out.
Features have been disappearing pretty much in size order, with"enormous" disc drives going first, followed by "too fat" ethernet ports, and logically followed by SD card readers.

And that's it! We're down to 4 USB C ports with the only remaining option being two USB C ports and a hub.

More: Thanks for linking to the card reader thingy you use. I wasn't aware that such a thing existed.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62859 11/25/22 01:46 AM
OP Offline

OK, so now I am so confused I want to forget it. Which device goes into the large slot next to my HDMI slot? That's what I want to buy because it's the onyx freed up slot at all times.

Originally Posted by artie505
Oh no. This is what I am calling the SD card because it is so big. Flash drive not SD card But now it's saying flash drive. I give up. Maybe just a USB C thingy.
First off, these are the specs of the flash drive to which you just linked: Weight ‎0.112 ounces/Dimensions ‎0.9 x 0.7 x 0.3 inches, i.e., it's not very big at all.

This is the SD card to which joemike linked.

You don't want to go with USB C, because it may not be compatible with your Thunderbolt 3.

Your options are SD card, flash drive, or (EXPENSIVE) SSD.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62860 11/25/22 03:05 AM

OK, so now I am so confused I want to forget it. Which device goes into the large slot next to my HDMI slot? That's what I want to buy because it's the onyx freed up slot at all times.
This is the SD card to which joemike linked. ("This" is a link.)

And bear in mind that because of the size of your internal drive, you don't need 256 GB. 128 GB will suffice (unless you want to use the card for data storage as well as backup).

artie505 #62861 11/25/22 03:11 AM
OP Offline

OK, sorry to sound so redundant, but the SD card goes next to the HDMI port, right? If that's right, where would the flash drive go? Yes, I thought about not getting the 256 because I don't plan on storing anything else. If I decide to, I guess I could get another SD card.

This is the SD card to which joemike linked. ("This" is a link.)

And bear in mind that because of the size of your internal drive, you don't need 256 GB. 128 GB will suffice (unless you want to use the card for data storage as well as backup).

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62862 11/25/22 03:32 AM

OK, sorry to sound so redundant, but the SD card goes next to the HDMI port, right? If that's right, where would the flash drive go? Yes, I thought about not getting the 256 because I don't plan on storing anything else. If I decide to, I guess I could get another SD card.
Yes, the SD card goes in the slot next to the HDMI port, i.e., the one marked SDXC card slot in your pic.

A USB flash drive would go either directly into a USB port or into a Thunderbolt port via an adapter.

You've still got your WD My Passport for data, but the easiest setup would be a 256 GB SD card that can just sit in its slot forever...never need to be swapped out...never risk being misplaced.

artie505 #62863 11/25/22 04:24 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for clarifying. The SD sounds the best. I'll be back if I get one and then can't figure out how to use SuperDuper with it. Probably easy, but you know me.

Yes, the SD card goes in the slot next to the HDMI port, i.e., the one marked SDXC card slot in your pic.

A USB flash drive would go either directly into a USB port or into a Thunderbolt port via an adapter.

You've still got your WD My Passport for data, but the easiest setup would be a 256 GB SD card that can just sit in its slot forever...never need to be swapped out...never risk being misplaced.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62864 11/25/22 12:13 PM

Thanks for clarifying. The SD sounds the best. I'll be back if I get one and then can't figure out how to use SuperDuper with it. Probably easy, but you know me.
Chances are you'll have to reformat the card before SD! can deal with it.

It needs to be formatted "GUID Partition Map," and if it isn't, select the top line, hit "Erase," and select it from the pop-up. (You can also name the card in the same pop-up.)

Once that's done, SD! should offer it to you as a destination and from there you can set your schedule.

artie505 #62865 11/25/22 05:22 PM
OP Offline

Unless S/D is intuitive about it like it was the other day when it gave me a choice to push a button to change the format to ..... Can't remember the initials. Anyway, I copied and pasted your directions for future use. I ordered the SD card last night. Now I need to purchase S/D for I can have automatic scheduling for backup.

Chances are you'll have to reformat the card before SD! can deal with it.

It needs to be formatted "GUID Partition Map," and if it isn't, select the top line, hit "Erase," and select it from the pop-up. (You can also name the card in the same pop-up.)

Once that's done, SD! should offer it to you as a destination and from there you can set your schedule.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62866 11/25/22 06:37 PM

Unless S/D is intuitive about it like it was the other day when it gave me a choice to push a button to change the format to ..... Can't remember the initials.
That's a good question.

It'll be interesting to see if SD! can recognize and correct a disk that's not formatted for Mac in addition to recognizing and reformatting one that is formatted for Mac, but incorrectly. (If, in fact, your SD card really isn't formatted for Mac.)

Please post screenshots of any pertinent pop-ups.

plantsower #62867 11/25/22 11:14 PM

Unless S/D is intuitive about it like it was the other day when it gave me a choice to push a button to change the format to ..... Can't remember the initials. Anyway, I copied and pasted your directions for future use. I ordered the SD card last night. Now I need to purchase S/D for I can have automatic scheduling for backup.

SD cards, and Thumb drives invaribly come from the factory with a Master Boot Record partition scheme and formatted MS-DOS (FAT 16). However, Disk Utility can easily erase the existing partition scheme and reformat them HFS+ or APFS with A GUID partitioning scheme. Assuming Super Duper uses Apple's cloning utility (the only way to create a bootable clone of the later versions of macOS), erasure and reformating is an inescapable result of the cloning process and cannot be prevented.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62868 11/26/22 02:16 AM
OP Offline

I just saw this on the SuperDuper website. Does this include the SD card I just bought? If so, he doesn't call it that. I guess what I'm asking is "is that slot for my SD card called a firewire drive?"

Intel Mac users can boot from USB 2, USB 3, Thunderbolt or FireWire driv
es.

SD cards, and Thumb drives invaribly come from the factory with a Master Boot Record partition scheme and formatted MS-DOS (FAT 16). However, Disk Utility can easily erase the existing partition scheme and reformat them HFS+ or APFS with A GUID partitioning scheme. Assuming Super Duper uses Apple's cloning utility (the only way to create a bootable clone of the later versions of macOS), erasure and reformating is an inescapable result of the cloning process and cannot be prevented.

Last edited by plantsower; 11/26/22 02:39 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #62869 11/26/22 12:42 PM

I think you're missing a step.

SD! & CCC both erase the destination container, but in order to get rid of the Master Boot Record itself on the flash drive I recently bought I had to do a separate, initial erase in Disk Utility of the "top line" of the drive.

plantsower #62870 11/26/22 12:50 PM

I just saw this on the SuperDuper website. Does this include the SD card I just bought? If so, he doesn't call it that. I guess what I'm asking is "is that slot for my SD card called a firewire drive?"

Intel Mac users can boot from USB 2, USB 3, Thunderbolt or FireWire driv
es.
The SD slot has got nothing to do with FireWire. (FireWire was an Apple high-speed data transfer protocol that they mis-marketed and have since retired.)

I'm pretty sure the card reader is USB.

artie505 #62871 11/26/22 07:12 PM

I think you're missing a step.

You are correct, I was missing a critical step. I just tested using CCC 6.1.4-b5 (7443) and when I selected an SD card as the target drive, I got a popup saying I had to use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme from MBR to GUID. I changed the partition scheme to GUID formatted MS-DOS, but after running the "Legacy" clone it was reformatted to APFS.

It is most definitely USB and that is USB 3.1 (5 Gbps). The storage technology used in SD and SD microcards is so slow, a faster connection would not improve the response time or throughput of the device.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #62872 11/26/22 08:51 PM
OP Offline

I'm pretty sure the card reader is USB. [/quote] But the slot next to the HDMI slot is way wider than USB ports.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62873 11/26/22 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by artie
But the slot next to the HDMI slot is way wider than USB ports.
It's not the physical configuration of the port that dictates, rather it's the circuitry behind it, so as long as it connects to the USB bus, it's a USB device.

artie505 #62874 11/26/22 09:17 PM
OP Offline

OK, I'm a little worried now, but I hope it fits.

Originally Posted by artie
But the slot next to the HDMI slot is way wider than USB ports.
It's not the physical configuration of the port that dictates, rather it's the circuitry behind it, so as long as it connects to the USB bus, it's a USB device.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62875 11/26/22 09:24 PM

I don't think you've got anything to worry about. SD cards are standard specs. (Actually, I once had a camera that used a weird card that didn't fit in my slot, but that was a rarity.)

artie505 #62876 11/27/22 02:21 AM
OP Offline

OK, hope you're right.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about. SD cards are standard specs. (Actually, I once had a camera that used a weird card that didn't fit in my slot, but that was a rarity.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62911 12/05/22 08:19 PM
OP Offline

Joe: I just put in my SD card (with Adapter) and instead of going to D/U, I went straight to SuperDuper to see if it recognized I had an SD card in. You said when you did this with your CCC, a message popped up saying you had to use D/U. S/D didn't do this, so I am assuming I need to go back to D/U (which I did at first where it DID show the new SD card), do an erasure as you and Artie recommended, and go from there. I am awaiting an answer because I don't want to screw anything up.

You are correct, I was missing a critical step. I just tested using CCC 6.1.4-b5 (7443) and when I selected an SD card as the target drive, I got a popup saying I had to use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme from MBR to GUID. I changed the partition scheme to GUID formatted MS-DOS, but after running the "Legacy" clone it was reformatted to APFS.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62912 12/05/22 08:54 PM

"With adapter?" What & why?

You can't screw up a blank card...no data to lose.

Assuming that SD! didn't recognize the card, go to DU, select the top line for the card, hit "Erase," name the card, select Format: APFS, select scheme: GUID Partition Map.

(SD! doesn't necessarily react like CCC in similar situations, so you can't make any assumptions based upon what either one of them does as respects the other.)

artie505 #62913 12/05/22 09:51 PM
OP Offline

OK, I erased it and named it. In order to find anything named APFS I had to go above on the side of D/U as shown and click on Apple SSD Data. Apple SSD Data There I see APFS but don't know where to go from there to find the GUID partition map. I clicked on "partition" but don't know where to go from there to find the GUID option. D/U Partition options

"With adapter?" What & why?

You can't screw up a blank card...no data to lose.

Assuming that SD! didn't recognize the card, go to DU, select the top line for the card, hit "Erase," name the card, select Format: APFS, select scheme: GUID Partition Map.

(SD! doesn't necessarily react like CCC in similar situations, so you can't make any assumptions based upon what either one of them does as respects the other.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62914 12/06/22 12:28 AM

The menus change as you go along. Follow these steps IN THE EXACT SEQUENCE SPECIFIED. Note steps are links to screenshots of what you should see.

1. Select the SD Card
  2. Click Erase
  3. Click Scheme
  4. From the menu Select GUID partition map
  5. Now you can select APFS as the format
  6. Enter your desired name and click Erase

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard