for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Full PAGE screenshots
#62689 10/18/22 09:07 AM
OP Online

Posters have asked in the past about taking full PAGE screenshots, and to that end, I'm linking to Shottr (Free/donationware *), which I've recently run across (and have no connection with other than as a user).

Since I didn't find the procedure intuitive, I'll clarify it for others who may find themselves in the same boat (You may find an easier method, but this works best for me.): When you select "Scrolling Capture" either by hotkey or from Shottr's dropdown menu, your cursor changes to crosshairs. Use the cursor to select the ENTIRE visible portion of the page, release it, and Shottr will do the rest on its own. Do not touch any other keys while Shottr is doing its thing.

Shottr has got other capabilities such as basic screenshot capture, editing/annotation, and OCR.

(*) Why is it free?
Shottr is a hobby project, and I don't feel ready to take a burden of a commercial project maintenance for the money that it can realistically bring. If you still want to pay and support the app, buy me a coffee. No pressure though, I'm cool with people using a free app for free : )

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Full PAGE screenshots
artie505 #62690 10/18/22 05:31 PM

I had to think about it twice, and the fact that you capitalized "PAGE" in your post helped, but just to clarify to other readers, the entire page may not always appear in the application WINDOW. Apple's built-in screenshot application only, at best, captures what can be seen in the window. As Artie so nicely presents, Shottr will also capture the unseen portion of a page.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #62693 10/18/22 10:28 PM

If you want to capture the entire contents of a scrolling web page, just choose Print and select "Save to PDF" from the PDF dropdown menu at the bottom of the print dialog. Don't ask me how I discovered this (it can't be that simple surely) but it works and, what's more, seems to convert the page to Reader mode minus ads and other digital cruft.

Ira L #62694 10/19/22 02:54 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by Ira L
I had to think about it twice, and the fact that you capitalized "PAGE" in your post helped, but just to clarify to other readers....
As I've said many times in the past, that's why I'm the only one in my close family who's never been a teacher.

Thanks for your assistance.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
andycap #62695 10/19/22 02:57 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by andycap
If you want to capture the entire contents of a scrolling web page, just choose Print and select "Save to PDF" from the PDF dropdown menu at the bottom of the print dialog. Don't ask me how I discovered this (it can't be that simple surely) but it works and, what's more, seems to convert the page to Reader mode minus ads and other digital cruft.
That's the tried and true first-attempt vehicle, but it's not a panacea.

Off the top of my head, I'll suggest that you try it with an eBay page, but I've run across - self discovered and posted by others - any number of other pages that also generate gobbledygook.

More: I just tried something new and found that when a so-generated PDF is more than a single page, which it often is, it can't be uploaded to Imgur (...other hosting sites as well?), whereas a Shottr screenshot, which is always one page, can.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard