FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Starting over with iCloud
#62484 09/03/22 08:57 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Over time my iCloud interface has become something of a jumble and I’d like to get it sorted out. What I want is to use iCloud only to have synchronization between iMac, iPhone and iPad for such things as Mail, Message, Contacts, et cetera.

We have two new iPads, still in the boxes, because I don’t want them to start life with a bunch of unnecessary stuff that needs to be cleaned up. I’d rather do the cleanup first.

How do I undo what’s been done and start from scratch?

The Storage Hiccup

I don’t want anything backed up to iCloud (including the iPhones and the iPads) but the Photos might be an exception, depending on the answer to the following:

Any attempt to remove photos gets this scary message: “If you want to stop using iCloud Photos and recover your iCloud storage, you can disable it on all your devices. You then have 30 days to download your photos and videos."

In another thread, joemike has explained: “….if you have Optimize storage turned ON, the full resolution images are on iCloud and the images on your iMac have been optimized (reduced in size and resolution) for display on your Mac.”

Question: On my iMac, 'Optimize Storage' is on. So, if I opt for removing photos from iCloud and download all the full resolution copies, what happens to them when they arrive on my iMac drive? Do they automatically replace the optimized images, or have I lost all the album filing that I have on the iMac and just have a bunch of un-filed images?

Last edited by ryck; 09/03/22 09:02 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Starting over with iCloud
ryck #62489 09/03/22 02:56 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by ryck
On my iMac, 'Optimize Storage' is on.
It appears this is only half correct. I went looking around to see if "Optimize Mac Storage" could just be turned off, and learned the instruction is in two places - in Photo Preferences and in iCloud Preferences. On my machine it is not checked in Photo preferences but is checked in iCloud Drive options. So, should I be able to turn it off in iCloud Drive?

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #62490 09/03/22 04:22 PM

Question: On my iMac, 'Optimize Storage' is on. So, if I opt for removing photos from iCloud and download all the full resolution copies, what happens to them when they arrive on my iMac drive? Do they automatically replace the optimized images, or have I lost all the album filing that I have on the iMac and just have a bunch of un-filed images?

Test it. Download a small batch of full resolution photos from iCloud that are optimized on your iMac and see how it turns out.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #62491 09/03/22 04:35 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by Ira L
Test it. Download a small batch of full resolution photos from iCloud that are optimized on your iMac and see how it turns out.
Thanks Ira, but any testing on Photos will have to wait, because things keep changing. For example, all the photos are now on my iPhone (which I've never had before) and these photos include a bunch that I removed. The photos on iCloud can be the last thing dealt with, so perhaps I was wrong to identify the issue. My priority is to get my iCloud mess sorted out before commissioning new iPads.

Over time my iCloud interface has become something of a jumble and I’d like to get it sorted out. What I want is to use iCloud only to have synchronization between iMac, iPhone and iPad for such things as Mail, Message, Contacts, et cetera.

We have two new iPads, still in the boxes, because I don’t want them to start life with a bunch of unnecessary stuff that needs to be cleaned up. I’d rather do the cleanup first.

How do I undo what’s been done and start from scratch?

Last edited by ryck; 09/03/22 04:47 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard