for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mac Compatible OTA TV tuner dongle
#62325 08/19/22 01:31 AM
OP Offline

Is anyone familiar with any Mac compatible OTA (over the air) TV tuner dongles that I could use with my 2015 Powerbook?
I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that will pick up an over the air TV signal and display the TV program on my powerbook.
I'm travelling around some semi-remote areas, and would like to see if there are any TV signals that are strong enough to pick up.
I'm in Canada so it would have to be an ATSC compatible device (same as used in the US).

Edited to add: I'd like to find something for $50 or less.

Last edited by Bob_00001; 08/19/22 01:34 AM.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Re: Mac Compatible OTA TV tuner dongle
Bob_00001 #62330 08/19/22 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_00001
Is anyone familiar with any Mac compatible OTA (over the air) TV tuner dongles that I could use with my 2015 Powerbook?
I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that will pick up an over the air TV signal and display the TV program on my powerbook.
I'm travelling around some semi-remote areas, and would like to see if there are any TV signals that are strong enough to pick up.
I'm in Canada so it would have to be an ATSC compatible device (same as used in the US).

Edited to add: I'd like to find something for $50 or less.

Well, it is possible, but maybe not at your price point or Powerbook. The linked article has a a current solution but may also lead you to devices that you can work with for less money.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Bob_00001 #62343 08/20/22 07:37 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. Actually, I'd been looking at these things which are only $28:
https://www.amazon.com/MyGica-Antenna-Laptop-Windows-Android/dp/B08Z383Y11?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Its list of compatible devices says, "For Window,Mackbook PC, Android TV" which is not exactly reassuring. It doesn't list any other compatibility information for Mac, and nothing about any included Mac compatible software.
I was hoping that someone here had tried one of these, or something similar, and could report back how well they worked.
Oh well, for that price, I guess I can risk it.

Last edited by Bob_00001; 08/20/22 07:39 PM.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Bob_00001 #62344 08/20/22 09:28 PM

From experience in a motor home in remote areas, OTA television is less ubiquitous than cellular networks in remote regions. My back country entertainment device is an iPad Pro with a cellular modem, a cellular account with unlimited data, together with my pick of the streaming apps available on the app store. An iPhone connected to an Apple TV plugged into a TV also works. Either setup is often superior to park Wi-Fi or wired internet service.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Bob_00001 #62361 08/22/22 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_00001
Thanks. Actually, I'd been looking at these things which are only $28:
https://www.amazon.com/MyGica-Antenna-Laptop-Windows-Android/dp/B08Z383Y11?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Its list of compatible devices says, "For Window,Mackbook PC, Android TV" which is not exactly reassuring. It doesn't list any other compatibility information for Mac, and nothing about any included Mac compatible software.
I was hoping that someone here had tried one of these, or something similar, and could report back how well they worked.
Oh well, for that price, I guess I can risk it.

I would suggest you save even the low cost of $28. Looking at the software available on the site referenced in your Amazon link, there are downloads only for Windows, Linux and Raspberry Pi; no obvious Mac support.

Joemikeb's suggestion above is a good one. Your iPhone already has cellular service and an iPad also could have it. If your intended use for this sort of device is short-term or one-time, consider the cost of cellular overages (if you don't have unlimited cellular data in your plan) versus $28 (or more). Overage charges are annoying, but if only once or twice, they might be more cost effective. If your intended use is more frequent or long term, consider an unlimited cellular data plan or one of the items mentioned in the link above that is in my earlier post. Good luck. wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard