for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Photo comparisons
#61976 06/28/22 07:54 PM
OP Offline

I heard on a video awhile back that Amazon has the ability to compare products to a picture you submit of something you like.

I've searched the internet and can't find such a thing on Amazon. I don't even remember which video it was. Have you guys heard of this? I have a tool that I don't know the name of and I can't get it apart. I thought if I took a picture and submitted it other similar products would come up and I could find out how to use it.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Photo comparisons
plantsower #61977 06/28/22 09:03 PM
OP Offline

Update: I finally called Amazon (duh) and got the directions from them. So, never mind. smile

Originally Posted by plantsower
I heard on a video awhile back that Amazon has the ability to compare products to a picture you submit of something you like.

I've searched the internet and can't find such a thing on Amazon. I don't even remember which video it was. Have you guys heard of this? I have a tool that I don't know the name of and I can't get it apart. I thought if I took a picture and submitted it other similar products would come up and I could find out how to use it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61978 06/28/22 09:43 PM

So, how's it done?

As the expression goes, "inquiring minds would like to know."

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61979 06/28/22 10:41 PM
OP Offline

1. Click on Amazon App on iPhone
2. Sign in if necessary
3. Click on square icon to the right of the search box
4. ‘Upload picture” is offered
5. Let it upload a few seconds until the little dots disappear letting you know it’s
been uploaded completely
6. “Styles” is offered which will show comparative products

Originally Posted by artie505
So, how's it done?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #61980 06/28/22 10:44 PM

So, how's it done?

At a guess, the easiest technique would be to OCR the label on the device then use an algorithm to parse the data and then search on the name. The technology to recognize textual data from an image already exists in Monterey (macOS 12). The rest would be a reasonably straight-forward Python (the language, not the snake smile ) scrip
Alternatively, If there is no label or text, the option would be a variation of facial recognition plus an extensive database of shapes. (Not too difficult but it would be a lot easier with 3D images.) The size of the shapes database alone would put something like that well beyond most personal computers, but easily within the capability of Google's or Amazon's servers.

To be useful, probably a combination of the two would be the best choice.

Having said that, I have spent a lot of time on Amazon recently, and I have never seen any sign of what Rita is talking about. However, Amazon's "similar products" is getting very, very good at identifying not just what I search for but often what I am really looking for based on my history. To the point, I often prefer an item from the "suggested" list over the one I searched for. Whatever you think of Amazon, that is darn good marketing. (It also means they know me well, perhaps too well.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #61981 06/28/22 10:49 PM

2. Sign in if necessary
5. Let it upload a few seconds until the little dots disappear letting you know it’s
been uploaded completely

I don't do Amazon on the iPhone, but I will have to try that on my iPad! Thanks for the information.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61982 06/28/22 10:53 PM
OP Offline

You're welcome. It isn't only for iPhones, it's just what I have. People with Androids can do it also I would expect.

I forgot the iPad acts like an iPhone regarding apps.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
2. Sign in if necessary
been uploaded completely

I don't do Amazon on the iPhone, but I will have to try that on my iPad! Thanks for the information.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61986 06/29/22 01:19 AM

Thanks for the details, but if there's equivalent functionality in Amazon's website, I haven't been able to find it. frown

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61988 06/29/22 01:31 AM
OP Offline

I don't think there is. It's only on the phone app.

Thanks for the details, but if there's equivalent functionality in Amazon's website, I haven't been able to find it. frown

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61990 06/29/22 01:40 AM

Rats! It would be wonderful functionality on a large screen.

I can't imagine doing any sort of shopping on an iPhone, although I guess with a late model one that's significantly bigger than my 5S...

plantsower #61991 06/29/22 01:56 AM

It is not in the iPad app either. It’s absence on both the other platforms makes me think it is intended to be used primarialy when shopping brick & mortar clothing and furniture stores to see if Amazon has similar products in the same style as the one you are looking at. It seems focused on “looks” foe women, men, and home. You upload images from Photos so there os no reason the app would not work in either macOS or IPadOS as well as iOS.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61992 06/29/22 02:17 AM

It is not in the iPad app either. It’s absence on both the other platforms makes me think it is intended to be used primarialy when shopping brick & mortar clothing and furniture stores to see if Amazon has similar products in the same style as the one you are looking at. It seems focused on “looks” foe women, men, and home. You upload images from Photos so there os no reason the app would not work in either macOS or IPadOS as well as iOS.
That-all makes sense, but it seems like the same functionality would benefit Amazon on all platforms, so I wonder why the limitation?

artie505 #61993 06/29/22 02:30 AM
OP Offline

I don't like shopping on an iPhone either. I usually only take calls and the occasional text when I'm not home to get my texts on my Mac. I have an iPhone 7 so it's not huge. Leave that to the younger generation that don't know what it's like not to have electronics for everything!

Rats! It would be wonderful functionality on a large screen.

I can't imagine doing any sort of shopping on an iPhone, although I guess with a late model one that's significantly bigger than my 5S...

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #61994 06/29/22 02:32 AM
OP Offline

Maybe you could suggests it to Amazon!! Of course, I've suggested lots of stuff and royally got ignored.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard