Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bank Hard Drive replace less?
joemikeb #61985 06/28/22 11:50 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, returned few hardrive today, hope that goes well!

Thanks for help on current madness and misdiagnoses by Apple.. and others, (Sales reps)

So true: that in past computer would have new USB ports and the external drive maker would follow suit? That was expected once?

Impressed with Drivs DX, that technology where have software that analyzes with Smart so elegantly has been around now how long? Only year or two?

And Disk Warrior; Tech Tool Pro.. obsolete now?

kevs #61989 06/29/22 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by kevs
And Disk Warrior; Tech Tool Pro.. obsolete now?

In My Humble Opinion, they are not obsolete, they are still excellent apps. But, improvements in Disk Utility, the stability of macOS disk management systems, the Recovery Drive, and APFS, have (again IMHO) rendered them largely unnecessary. Out of date versions can do more harm than good (most of them will only run on one macOS version), updates are pricey, and they are so seldom needed, many (most?) of us take the position that we will only buy them again, if and when, they are actually needed. I haven't actually needed DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro, or Drive Genius in several years, and I finally deleted my long-time favorite. that I had been with since macOS 1 (or thereabout), TechTool Pro, when I installed Catalina.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61997 06/29/22 05:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, great tips...Final bit; as stabilizing hard drives. Now 27" wont come out... Could wait... for month to 2 years, if wanted.. but you would get rolling on Mac Mini, soon, primarily because you never know when a 2016 computer will meltdown? The internal hardrive is good, but? Would vote to hang onto the old 27" up to what point in time- latest?

And on monitor : that LG is 4k, I think, have you ever owned 5k monitor, if so would notice miss 5 k going to LG 4K...or is it subtle difference, not big deal... Is there a 5k LG 27" not too much more expensive?

And final Drive X, when check externals, do you also need to check/ look at/ click on also, the "sub volumes" "you created through APFS? The ones you name... OR just that top root thing.. what.. Container or one above that listed name HD, ie Lacie/ Seagate. understand that?

Same Question if running DU repair, do repair sub volumes or just click Container or Level above that?

And again Drive X, so impressive, you say even though SMART been around, an app that so elegantly uses it well only been on scene since? curious.

joemikeb #62020 07/04/22 10:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe sorry for the delay, ok finally went to preferences, thinking of these settings, opinion?

https://imgur.com/a/0urYJ9Y

More importantly, I assumed would be alert on computer, but need to email? And lost there, send from..??

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard