FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Externals ejecting
#61764 06/12/22 03:41 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Been seeing my 5TB and 8TB externals ejecting a bit recently for no reason. Any idas why this happens. Bought in 2016? Is that issue or...? Can they last very long time/ years.

Also, not sure related.. sometimes have Paralles on, not sure how intensive that it or a factor.

Re: Externals ejecting
kevs #61766 06/12/22 04:14 PM

That happens occasionally with my externals, for no reason than I can determine. It shows up when I wake the computer from sleep and the drives mount again, spontaneously, within a minute or so.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #61767 06/12/22 05:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Just had long talk with apple tech. We did SMC reset, and PRAM, still happening, so maybe need to reinstall OS or/ and take to store. I would buy new 27" but don't have the M1 chip yet, so could be have to buy Mini and get LG monitor, lets see..

kevs #61768 06/12/22 06:57 PM

Unexpected drive dismounts can be a PITA to diagnose unless you can reliably cause them to happen. But in my experience, the most likely failure is the least expensive part of the system, the cable. Cables come loose and do go bad. Check to be sure the connectors are completely and solidly plugged in on each end and if that doesn't fix the problem, try a new cable to see if that is the cause of the disconnect. This may take some patience on your part.

On the subject of cables...
  • you reliably get what you pay for.
  • Always go for cables certified for the highest level of performance and that can be challenging to discern. This Techdim article explains the USB symbols and how to interpret them.
  • Although USB Standard and connector Type are related, they are not directly linked. This Wikipedia article explains the relationship between USB Standards (USB 3.0, 3.1, etc) and the USB Connector types (USB A, MICRO USB A, MINI USB A, USB B, USB C).
  • Unless a cable, or adaptor, is clearly labeled otherwise, assume it is USB 3.0.
  • FWIW I have had consistently good results using cables made by Anker, Belkin, and OWC.
  • As a general rule, shorter cables will yield better results than longer ones. Ie never use a two meter cable when a 1 meter cable will reach.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61770 06/12/22 07:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Don't think cable Joe because, more than one externals drop eject at same time & the Magic Wireless Keyboard drops, & the Hub as well all at same time. And Mac tech saw this with own eyes. When force qute and reboot, then all work ok for 1/2 hour and repeats

The did reset unplugging Mac, and pram, no luck.

Could not do Diagnostic test, and did not work.. And we could not do restore os as the online recovery chocked as well. As with meltdown 4 months ago or so Online recovery brings an offer to restore El Capitan if you can believe that.

Just submitted another Apple feedback on that maddening: For 00001% who want a 3, 4, 5 year old OS don't get it.. 99.99% want to get Monterey; . I did get Monterey done months ago, but took hour and hours of grief and erasing hardrive. Why Apple still does that have no idea.

So have to haul it into a Store tomorrow, have not done years, big hassle.

ANd prepared to buy new unit, but 27 are not out in M1 yet, so tech suggested M1 and 3rd party monitor? You anyone know great 27" external monitor under 1k on par with the Apple 27"

If they can fix issue cheaply I'll hang on until new 27"

Why this is happening,, software, hardware, no one could guess at Apple

kevs #61771 06/13/22 03:49 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

All that said Joe, maybe right? Maybe cable or those two externals, because: I unplugged those 2 externals all day, which where ejecting relentlessly, ( with the keyboard and the hub) , but with those externals gone, the keyboard and the hub have been fine all day..

Seems odd that one or two externals or their cables? Could take down other things like keyboard and hub, but who knows?

The Apple tech was only focusing on Mac software and usb ports, as culprits, he did not even bring up idea of externals or cables at all.

So I have this appointment Monday Apple store to bring in the computer, but still go? Or maybe just buy new cables, and test, and then continues, but new externals.. or?

(I think the Store was going to run hardward diagnosis, (which does not work some reasons) and maybe try to replace the OS which can't do either, per online only offers El capitan... (unless erase HD)

But who knows.. as test putting how those 2 externals with cables on new laptop in other room and putting 2 externals that were not in mix on the glitchy imac.. see if replicates.. so far ok.. see how that overnight text goes; hence may keep the genius bar appointment.

But your idea, cables/ and externals, thanks for putting that in the mix at least..

Last edited by kevs; 06/13/22 04:02 AM.
kevs #61772 06/13/22 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by kevs
...maybe try to replace the OS which can't do either, per online only offers El capitan... (unless erase HD)
You can d/l Monterey from the App Store and reinstall it over you existing installation without losing any data.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #61773 06/13/22 01:14 PM

You anyone know great 27" external monitor under 1k on par with the Apple 27"

LG ULTRA FINE at $350 comes to my mind, but there are others. It is not as good as Apple, but Apple sells LG monitors

Originally Posted by keys
Why this is happening,, software, hardware, no one could guess at Apple

I don't think you mentioned a hub before, but inexpensive hubs cause as many problems as cheap cables and could also be the source of your problems. No one at Apple could guess because there are so many possibilities and isolating an issue like this takes time and physical contact with the entire system. You can buy a new hub for $30 and try it or you can pay a technician $120 an hour with a two hour minimum to troubleshoot the issue.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61775 06/13/22 03:14 PM

Speaking of hubs, I replaced a problematic Belkin hub with one by TrippLite and it has performed flawlessly for many years.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #61778 06/13/22 06:17 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Jon, thanks I'll make note of triplite. I use exellon hugs to wll also, BH photo sells them, but make not Triplite.

Arti: the bizarre issue is with old machine Recovery takes you place offers only El Capitan, no choice. Totally ridiculous. To do Monterrey then have to erase drive.

Joe: Turn out was Hardrives, thanks for putting cables in my head, That Apple Rep only focused on the computer nothing else, nothing.

Hub is ok, 2 externals ... one TM can't repair, and other external for data has failed at repair totally. Only discovered later that night by trying first aid,.. He did not bring up doing that.. just focuses on ports, and software , OS.. One external seems to have crashed other externals, the wireless keyboard and hub at once... So ordering new externalas right now..

For computer may try hold on with 27" imac 2015 until new one comes out.. BH rep said don't do the Mac Mimi 3rd party external idea, not made for graphics, not good as 27 computer",,?

kevs #61780 06/13/22 06:52 PM

Arti: the bizarre issue is with old machine Recovery takes you place offers only El Capitan, no choice. Totally ridiculous. To do Monterrey then have to erase drive.
You can reinstall Monterey WITHOUT involving Recovery.

Just d/l the installer from the App Store and run it over your existing installation. You won't lose any data.

Recovery is convenient...maybe even necessary in certain situations, but it isn't your only option.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61781 06/13/22 07:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, I'll file that info/ idea down. The Apple tech dont' mention that... last meltdown guy had me erase drive, install El Captian ( only thing offered in REcovery) and then work my way up to Monterry.
Monterrey was finally installed using the app store, but at last stage, after an erase and El Capitan. Why recovery only offers El Capitan, and at least not option to go to the current OS is nuts.

kevs #61782 06/13/22 09:14 PM

Why recovery only offers El Capitan, and at least not option to go to the current OS is nuts.
If you do a command-option-R boot you'll get a version of Recovery that offers you the latest version of macOS that your Mac can run.

I'm not certain that it won't require drive erasure, though.

Even a command-R boot should offer you Monterey if that's what you're running when you boot into it.

Any Apple tech that told you otherwise is seriously out of touch.

You can read about the various Recovery options at https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-macos-recovery-on-an-intel-based-mac-mchl338cf9a8/mac Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support.

Last edited by artie505; 06/13/22 09:28 PM. Reason: More

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard