Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
prism app deletion
#61626 05/27/22 01:15 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.14.6

I installed an app named Prism which I realized I didn't need. I used Find any File to delete it. It came up with 37 files but I could only delete 18 of them. I was informed that I don't have permission to delete the remaining 19.

In the past, I've never had any problems deleting all of the files. How do I get permission?

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: prism app deletion
jaybass #61628 05/27/22 02:43 PM

If this is the PRISM Video File Converter, or any app, Installed from the App Store it should only be deleted using the Apple-approved method...
  1. NOTE: You may have to reinstall the app from the App Store since the previous attempt is incomplete
  2. Open Launchpad
  3. Click and hold on the PRISM icon in Launchpad until it begins t shake and an "x" appears at the top left corner of the icon
  4. Click on the "x" to delete the app and its support files

Otherwise try the options in this article

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61631 05/27/22 05:45 PM

I just looked at Launchpad for the first time, and none of my App Store apps are there. (Monterey 12.4)

What can I possibly be doing/have done wrong?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #61633 05/27/22 06:58 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I did reinstall via the app store, opened Launchpad, held on to the prism icon until it shook and then clicked the x to delete but it did not delete all of the support files. This, I did twice with the same result. Then I remembered

I did a backup prior to installing prism so I booted up from my backup and that solved that. Why your suggestion didn't work, perhaps you may know.

Thanks joe,

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
artie505 #61634 05/27/22 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I just looked at Launchpad for the first time, and none of my App Store apps are there. (Monterey 12.4)

What can I possibly be doing/have done wrong?

I rely on Launchpad extensively and as far as I know, it automatically detects any app that appears in the ~/Applications folder and there are no settings I am aware of other than System Preferences > Keyboard > Shorcuts > Launchpad & Dock where you can activate or de-activate the ⌘L shortcut. In the past, I have occasionally run into apps embedded in ~/Applications sub-folders that Launchpad did not pickup and in macOS 12.3 there was one App Store app that did not appear in Launchpad for several days. confused (Of course it magically appeared in Launchpad, within hours of my submitting Feedback on the issue.) I have never encountered a case where any app store application did not immediately appear in Launchpad much less none of them. I would encourage you to submit Feedback on the issue. Particularly since Launchpad is, to the best of my knowledge, the ONLY Apple-approved way to remove app store apps.

Originally Posted by jaybass
I did reinstall via the app store, opened Launchpad, held on to the prism icon until it shook and then clicked the x to delete but it did not delete all of the support files. This, I did twice with the same result. Then I remembered

I did a backup prior to installing prism so I booted up from my backup and that solved that. Why your suggestion didn't work, perhaps you may know.

Without having detailed knowledge of the Prism code, I can only surmise the files you were attempting to delete were somehow linked to a slightly different owner/ID/installation.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard