Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Removing ALL Colour Tags AT ONCE
#61516 05/18/22 05:05 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi:

Does anyone know a way to REMOVE all the folder colour "tags" throughout the desktop in once process . . . rather than having to go to each tagged folder or file to do so?

I have hundreds I want to clean up!

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Removing ALL Colour Tags AT ONCE
MG2009 #61525 05/18/22 05:02 PM

Yes, a partial solution. It seems you can select multiple folders of the SAME color tag, right click on one of them and click on the appropriate color to remove and all selected folders of that color will have the tag removed.

Now here is the weird thing. For example, one red tag folder and two yellow tag folders. Select all, right-click and click on the yellow tag—a yellow tag is added to the red tag folder (didn't know you could double-tag :o). Now, here is the amazing thing, select all folders and right-click and click on the yellow tag and all yellow tags are removed. This leaves you with 2 clean folders and one red tag folder. You could repeat this process of adding and removing specific color tags until all folders have no tags. Of course it might be easier to sort the folders by tag color and just remove the same color tag from the same folders. With hundreds of folders, as you say, what works best might depend on how many different colors you have in your tags.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
MG2009 #61528 05/18/22 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by MG2009
I have hundreds I want to clean up!
Don't all those folders on your desktop seriously slow down your boot process?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #61529 05/18/22 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
(didn't know you could double-tag :o)
Yup. I'm not sure if was possible prior to the color indicators turning from rectangles to dots, but definitely since that time.

And you can't clear multiple colors in one shot - not that I'm aware of anyway - which can be a major PIA.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61535 05/18/22 07:31 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for trying Ira and Artie.

I am aware of the process you suggested, Ira. That is simiar to what I was doing until I got to thinking there MUST be a simpler way to do this in one shot. Several years ago I had attached different colours and images to folders, but later wanted to return everything to the OSX "blue" (factory) jobbies and just use the "tags". That procedure required CONSOLE and coding to revert all folders back to BLUE. I was hoping the same kind of thing could be done to get rid of the tags. Boo-Hiss.

P.S. By "desktop", Artie, I meant desktop computer (i.e. iMAC).

Many thanks,
MG2009

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard