for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Blue tooth Disconnects from iPhone
#61437 04/28/22 07:50 PM
OP Offline

My blue tooth speaker keeps disconnecting from my iPhone when at a high volume. It works fine at lower volumes. I don't get it. I wanted to hear my music in other rooms without having to keep moving my speaker. What would volume have to do with it?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Blue tooth Disconnects from iPhone
plantsower #61438 04/28/22 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
... What would volume have to do with it?

Good question! If your Bluetooth speaker is running off of a battery or a typical USB power supply it may not be able to supply enough power (Amps) to drive the speaker at full volume and support Bluetooth at long ranges. If you are using an "iPhone charger" or a similar device, you might try an iPad charger and see if that helps.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61439 04/28/22 10:57 PM
OP Offline

Hi Joe: Actually, my blue tooth speaker is actually plugged in to a regular old power strip.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
... What would volume have to do with it?

Good question! If your Bluetooth speaker is running off of a battery or a typical USB power supply it may not be able to supply enough power (Amps) to drive the speaker at full volume and support Bluetooth at long ranges. If you are using an "iPhone charger" or a similar device, you might try an iPad charger and see if that helps.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61443 04/29/22 01:04 AM

Have you searched to see if others are running into the same problem, Rita?

You may simply be trying to exceed the limits of the speakers' functionality, which, itself, may not be up to snuff.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61445 04/29/22 02:41 AM
OP Offline

I did look online but couldn't find a solution that worked. And I couldn't find anything about it happening with louder volumes.

Originally Posted by artie505
Have you searched to see if others are running into the same problem, Rita?

You may simply be trying to exceed the limits of the speakers' functionality, which, itself, may not be up to snuff.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61449 04/29/22 03:10 PM

It might help if we knew the make and model of your Bluetooth Speaker.

One other thought, when the Bluetooth drops out, by any chance are you using a microwave oven in the other room? Microwave ovens use the same 2.4GHz band that Bluetooth and WiFi are on and often created havoc with early Bluetooth devices.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61452 04/29/22 05:21 PM
OP Offline

It might help if we knew the make and model of your Bluetooth Speaker. It's pretty unknown from what I can see. After I bought it, it was hard to find. Yafeite brand, model #: K7

One other thought, when the Bluetooth drops out, by any chance are you using a microwave oven in the other room? Microwave ovens use the same 2.4GHz band that Bluetooth and WiFi are on and often created havoc with early Bluetooth devices.

No, I do have a microwave but rarely use it except to sterilize things. I also turned off all the other bluetooth devices because sometimes they compete with each other.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61458 04/29/22 07:25 PM

It might help if we knew the make and model of your Bluetooth Speaker.
It's pretty unknown from what I can see. After I bought it, it was hard to find. Yafeite brand, model #: K7

Apparently, Amazon used to carry the Yafeite K7, but when I search their site today to seek more information it is no longer listed and the only other site I found is in Chinese and located in The People's Republic of China.

No, I do have a microwave but rarely use it except to sterilize things. I also turned off all the other bluetooth devices because sometimes they compete with each other.

That was certainly true in earlier Bluetooth versions but I have not found that to be a problem with the later, low power, Bluetooth protocols not to mention they have much better range.

At this point the only sugestions I can think of are either adding a Bluetooth range extender or trying a different Bluetooth speaker. FWIW I have been very pleased with an Anker Soundcore 2. It has enough volume to be heard over the table saw and dust extractor in my shop, runs up to 12 hours on battery or I just leave it attached to an otherwise unused iPhone charger. Sound quality is very good (the bass won't rattle the fillings in your teeth, but you can understand every word when listening to Peter, Paul, & Mary or The Limeliters). To my ears, the sound is competitive with a pair of Apple iPod minis running in stereo and cost ~$170 less.

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/29/22 07:27 PM. Reason: typo

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61463 04/29/22 11:00 PM
OP Offline

Apparently, Amazon used to carry the Yafeite K7, but when I search their site today to seek more information it is no longer listed and the only other site I found is in Chinese and located in The People's Republic of China. Yes, but it's a great little speaker.

That was certainly true in earlier Bluetooth versions but I have not found that to be a problem with the later, low power, Bluetooth protocols not to mention they have much better range. Mine must be old because I have had that speaker for awhile now (not sure how long), my iPhone is an iPhone 7 and my MacBook is a mid-2015, so sometimes they compete with each other and sometimes not.

At this point the only sugestions I can think of are either adding a Bluetooth range extender or trying a different Bluetooth speaker. I've been contemplating getting another speaker if for no other reason to connect them so I have one in two rooms with the same thing playing on them. The video at the end of this page shows how to do it. Pairing multiple b/t speakers to iPhone As far as needing an extender, the iPhone is right next to the speaker. It works fine that way unless I amp up the volume and then it just keeps disconnecting.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61464 04/29/22 11:56 PM

It works fine that way unless I amp up the volume and then it just keeps disconnecting.

It would not surprise me that a teardown of your speaker would find a faulty solder joint or some other similar internal connection that either is not carrying the load at high volume levels. That could be repairable, but at today's labor rates, a new speaker would cost a LOT less.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61465 04/29/22 11:59 PM
OP Offline

It works fine that way unless I amp up the volume and then it just keeps disconnecting.

It would not surprise me that a teardown of your speaker would find a faulty solder joint or some other similar internal connection that either is not carrying the load at high volume levels. That could be repairable, but at today's labor rates, a new speaker would cost a LOT less.

You're right. A new speaker makes a lot more sense. Thanks, Joe. If it gives me anymore trouble, I will get one (or two) and connect them if I can. I haven't watched the whole video.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #61502 05/14/22 11:30 PM
OP Offline

It's been awhile but thought I'd tell you I rebooted my phone and bluetooth is working steadily now. I had to do it twice a few days apart, but it's been good for a nice while.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard