FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OS
#61399 04/16/22 09:17 PM
jaybass Online OP
OP Online

Is there a way of removing the os upgrade rom system prefs?

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: OS
jaybass #61401 04/16/22 11:38 PM

What are you attempting to do by removing the "upgrade ROM system prefs"?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61402 04/17/22 12:50 AM
jaybass Online OP
OP Online

I am not attempting to do anything other than to remove the reminder to upgrade to Monterey ie the red dot with #1 in it. I cannot find a way to remove it so if that is the case, then so be it.

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #61404 04/17/22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaybass
I am not attempting to do anything other than to remove the reminder to upgrade to Monterey.....
I also am among the people who find "upgrade to Monterey" reminders a giant pain in the butt. I get that flag popping out at the top right of the screen, obscuring the HD Icon. It will stay until I click on the "view" option, which takes me to the app store....a time-consuming distraction. Apple seems disinterested in the fact that users know there are other OS's available but those users have their own reasons for staying with a particular OS.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #61405 04/17/22 02:05 PM

My iMac cannot run Monterey but I periodically get that popup asking me to do exactly that! I don't know any way to stop this, but at least it happens only sporadically.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jaybass #61406 04/17/22 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jaybass
I am not attempting to do anything other than to remove the reminder to upgrade to Monterey ie the red dot with #1 in it. I cannot find a way to remove it so if that is the case, then so be it.

NOW I understand your question. What you are seeing is software, not Read-Only Memory. It is a function built into macOS and removing it would likely be impractical if not impossible. If it really bothers you might consider switching to one of the Linux variants such as Ubuntu.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61407 04/17/22 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
NOW I understand your question. What you are seeing is software, not Read-Only Memory. It is a function built into macOS and removing it would likely be impractical if not impossible. If it really bothers you might consider switching to one of the Linux variants such as Ubuntu.
I wonder if jaybass didn't maybe mean "from" but mistyped it as "rom."

At any rate, the best we can apparently do is make sure that System Prefs > Software Update > Advanced > Check for updates is UNchecked. I think it eliminates the pop-ups, but not the red dot.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61408 04/17/22 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I wonder if jaybass didn't maybe mean "from" but mistyped it as "rom."

That is plausible, but it also emphasizes the need to re-read and correct typos and spelling errors. (I know, the pot calling the kettle black blush)

Actually, I see red dots all over the place, on icons in the dock, in launchpad, stacks, and Finder. But, it generally has a number in it. The red dot indicates an app has an action pending and the number indicates the number of pending actions. For example the number of unread messages in Mail, Message,or FaceTime; a timed alarm event in Fantastical or Todoist, or a pending updates in App Store. The only place I do not see them is Software Update because I have it set to "Automatically Keep My Mac Up-to-date", but that is not a viable option for some users. If there were a single point of control it would logically be in SystemPreferences > Notifications and could be there on an app-by-app basis. You might try turning Notifications off altogether but that kills most alarms.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #61409 04/18/22 03:49 PM

....the best we can apparently do is make sure that System Prefs > Software Update > Advanced > Check for updates is UNchecked. I think it eliminates the pop-ups, but not the red dot.
I was going to do that, but then realized I would not get notifications of security updates to Safari, et cetera, which I want to get. Is Apple ignoring nomenclature? It seems to me that changing from Mojave to Monterey would be an upgrade, not an update.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jaybass #61410 04/18/22 04:50 PM

How about, in System Preferences>Software Update, unchecking "Check for updates", but leaving checked "Install system data files and security updates"? Depending on what updates this preference would check for, this could eliminate os upgrades, but keep security stuff current.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #61411 04/18/22 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Is Apple ignoring nomenclature? It seems to me that changing from Mojave to Monterey would be an upgrade, not an update.

Quite the contrary Apple is coming in line with industry practices and other operating systems in the Apple ecosystem. For twenty years MacOS X remained at 10 and major versions were identified by the second digit, for example, Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah) and Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma) as all of these were based on the same basic underpinnings but had significant new features. Patches, bug fixes, etc. were designated by the third digit ie. Mac OS X 10.15.1, 10.15.2, and so on. The transition from Mac OS X to macOS represented two changes: major and very significant changes in the OS kernel and the transition from Intel to Apple silicon. (Not to mention bringing macOS in line with iOS, iPadOS, WatchOS, & TVOS.) While the Big Sur user interface looked pretty much the same as Catalina there were enough under the hood changes it could almost be considered a new OS, thus instead of being Mac IOS X 10.16 it became macOS 11. Monterey (macOS 12) has refined those changes and added a number of its own. In MacOS X going from MacOS X 10.14 (Mojave) to 10.15 (Catalina) was an upGRADE and going from MacOS X 10.14.0 to MacOS X 10.14.1 an upDATE. The only difference now is the Mac OS X 10.x has become macOS x so going from macOS 11 (Big Sur) to macOS 12 (Monterey) is an upGRADE while going from macOS 12.0 (Monterey) to macOS 12.1 (still Monterey) is an upDATE.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61412 04/18/22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Is Apple ignoring nomenclature? It seems to me that changing from Mojave to Monterey would be an upgrade, not an update.

...so going from macOS 11 (Big Sur) to macOS 12 (Monterey) is an upGRADE while going from macOS 12.0 (Monterey) to macOS 12.1 (still Monterey) is an upDATE.
You've confirmed what ryck said, but haven't addressed why Software Update uses the word "update" exclusively, i.e. doesn't address the fact that there are upDATES and upGRADES.

I'll guess that it's for the sake of simplicity of presentation, and perhaps, too, to avoid confusing less sophisticated users with info they don't really need...i.e. they bring their Macs "up to date" without regard for the particular nature of what they're doing.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61413 04/18/22 09:56 PM

I'll guess that it's for the sake of simplicity of presentation, and perhaps, too, to avoid confusing less sophisticated users with info they don't really need...i.e. they bring their Macs "up to date" without regard for the particular nature of what they're doing.

I have participated in multiple extended discussions (a.k.a. arguments) over what specifically constitutes the difference between an upDATE and an upGRADE and while the specific distinction for a given project or organization is impacted by the nature of the project, the needs of the development team(s), and (especially in commercial projects) MARKETING considerations; the generally accepted guideline is an upGRADE has significant new features while an upDATE contains bug fixes, security patches, and occasionally previously claimed features that wee not ready for release at product launch. In Apple's case, MARKETING CONSIDERATIONS have made upGRADES an annual event.

The problem with piecemeal fixes you seem to be promoting is they too easily end up creating "Frankenstein" software that is unmaintainable and unsupportable. If that is the environment you want then you do not want macOS or any version of Windows and would be better off sticking to a homebrew version of Unix/Linux where only you know what you have, and only you are qualified to work on it.

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/18/22 09:58 PM. Reason: format error

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61414 04/19/22 11:58 AM

<snip>
The problem with piecemeal fixes you seem to be promoting is they too easily end up creating "Frankenstein" software that is unmaintainable and unsupportable. If that is the environment you want then you do not want macOS or any version of Windows and would be better off sticking to a homebrew version of Unix/Linux where only you know what you have, and only you are qualified to work on it.
HUH??? I haven't I "promoted" anything!

ryck asked
i.e., why are the pref pane and its options captioned "upDATE" when they also cover upGRADEs, and I've done no more than suggest what may be Apple's rationale.

What, specifically, is an update or upgrade has never been in question.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard