for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Windows Friendly
#61127 03/15/22 11:57 PM
OP Offline

Remember the days when we could send stuff via email with Apple mail and there was the choice to make it windows friendly? I don't see that anymore.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Windows Friendly
plantsower #61128 03/16/22 02:40 AM

Check Attachments in Mail's Edit menu.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #61129 03/16/22 02:56 AM
OP Offline

Oh, I never would have looked there. Thanks, DK.

Originally Posted by dkmarsh
Check Attachments in Mail's Edit menu.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61131 03/16/22 04:55 PM

An often overlooked aid is an application's "Help" menu. I started to type "windows friendly" into Mail's Help menu and DK's recommendation came up first thing.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #61142 03/16/22 11:27 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ira. You know I used to use "Help" but it was rarely helpful, so I got out of the habit! smile
Originally Posted by Ira L
An often overlooked aid is an application's "Help" menu. I started to type "windows friendly" into Mail's Help menu and DK's recommendation came up first thing.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61145 03/16/22 11:56 PM

On more than one occasion, I have found it more helpful to go to Apple Tech Support (online) than to use the Help menu. For even faster results, use DuckDuckGo or (shudder!) Google.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #61147 03/17/22 01:59 AM
OP Offline

Don't you have to pay for Online Tech Support? Yeah, I don't use Google but duckduckgo is getting iffy too.

Originally Posted by jchuzi
On more than one occasion, I have found it more helpful to go to Apple Tech Support (online) than to use the Help menu. For even faster results, use DuckDuckGo or (shudder!) Google.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61148 03/17/22 02:33 AM

What's the big knock on Google?

It generates the best search results, and I just never log in, so they've got nothing on me. I suppose they may track ISP addresses, but that seems unlikely, because it would require enormous resources and generate zero income.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #61151 03/17/22 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Don't you have to pay for Online Tech Support? Yeah, I don't use Google but duckduckgo is getting iffy too.

Online tech support is free. Visit https://support.apple.com

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #61154 03/17/22 04:49 PM
OP Offline

I must not understand. If Apple tech support is free, why would any of us purchase Apple Care? All I see under Support is the Apple Community. That's just people like here, right? I've used both but get more help here.

Online tech support is free. Visit https://support.apple.com

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61156 03/17/22 05:12 PM

I must not understand. If Apple tech support is free, why would any of us purchase Apple Care? All I see under Support is the Apple Community.
Tech support covers the OS. AppleCare covers your Mac itself.

The link on the left side of the page to which Jon ultimately links - "Have a question?" - is to the Apple Community. The link on the right side - "Tell us how we can help" - gets you to Apple.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61158 03/17/22 05:16 PM
OP Offline

Oh, thanks for clarifying. Could you give me an example of coverage for the OS? Like a part goes bad or something? Does it still have to be under warranty or maybe a recall? And AppleCare is just to learn how to do something on the Mac?

Originally Posted by artie505
I must not understand. If Apple tech support is free, why would any of us purchase Apple Care? All I see under Support is the Apple Community.
Tech support covers the OS. AppleCare covers your Mac itself.

The link on the left side of the page to which Jon ultimately links - "Have a question?" - is to the Apple Community. The link on the right side - "Tell us how we can help" - gets you to Apple.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61160 03/17/22 05:49 PM

I may be late catching up to this but Apple has recently performed some re-branding of their support options. AppleCare has long been used, and remains, as a generic term for all of Apple's support options. Paid AppleCare has now been re-branded as AppleCare+ (don't overlook the plus). For a complete description see this Apple document but in summary...

Originally Posted by Apple
Most Apple hardware comes with a one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary technical support. To extend your coverage further, purchase AppleCare+.

Apple technical support includes: access to their on-line tech support documents, in-store classes and one-on-one training sessions, genius desk visits, on-line how to videos, and Apple support forums. IT DOES NOT INCLUDE HARDWARE REPAIRS.

REPAIRS*¹, up to and including complete product replacement, are covered under warranty for up to a year, depending on the product, and following that by Apple Care+. Even physical loss or theft is covered under some Applecare+ options*². Applecare+ attaches to the specific device not to the individual purchaser*³.

Personally I automatically purchase the additional Applecare+ with every Apple product and it has proven invaluable. Over the years I have received three new computers, an Apple watch, a new laptop battery, and two hard drives under Applecare+ with no questions asked.

FOOTNOTE:
  1. Repairs do not include upgrades. For example in the case of a failed HD, Apple will only replace the drive with another drive of the same capacity and specifications as the one that was in the device when it was purchased.
  2. This is very recent and fortunately I have not had the need to test it -- yet.
  3. I passed a laptop along to a college student friend. Later, when it exhibited signs of battery swelling, Apple replaced the laptop under Applecare+ even though it was no longer listed on my account.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61166 03/17/22 07:44 PM
OP Offline

All good to know! When I purchase Applecare I always get it from a third party as it is so much cheaper.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I may be late catching up to this but Apple has recently performed some re-branding of their support options. AppleCare has long been used, and remains, as a generic term for all of Apple's support options. Paid AppleCare has now been re-branded as AppleCare+ (don't overlook the plus). For a complete description see this Apple document but in summary...

Originally Posted by Apple
Most Apple hardware comes with a one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary technical support. To extend your coverage further, purchase AppleCare+.

Apple technical support includes: access to their on-line tech support documents, in-store classes and one-on-one training sessions, genius desk visits, on-line how to videos, and Apple support forums. IT DOES NOT INCLUDE HARDWARE REPAIRS.

REPAIRS*¹, up to and including complete product replacement, are covered under warranty for up to a year, depending on the product, and following that by Apple Care+. Even physical loss or theft is covered under some Applecare+ options*². Applecare+ attaches to the specific device not to the individual purchaser*³.

Personally I automatically purchase the additional Applecare+ with every Apple product and it has proven invaluable. Over the years I have received three new computers, an Apple watch, a new laptop battery, and two hard drives under Applecare+ with no questions asked.

FOOTNOTE:
  1. Repairs do not include upgrades. For example in the case of a failed HD, Apple will only replace the drive with another drive of the same capacity and specifications as the one that was in the device when it was purchased.
  2. This is very recent and fortunately I have not had the need to test it -- yet.
  3. I passed a laptop along to a college student friend. Later, when it exhibited signs of battery swelling, Apple replaced the laptop under Applecare+ even though it was no longer listed on my account.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61169 03/18/22 05:43 AM

Oh, thanks for clarifying. Could you give me an example of coverage for the OS? Like a part goes bad or something? Does it still have to be under warranty or maybe a recall? And AppleCare is just to learn how to do something on the Mac?
You've got it backwards. The former is for the latter, and vice-versa.

Recalls transcend AppleCare...affecting all Macs in the affected class, regardless of age.

artie505 #61183 03/19/22 01:41 AM
OP Offline

OK.

Originally Posted by artie505
You've got it backwards. The former is for the latter, and vice-versa.

Recalls transcend AppleCare...affecting all Macs in the affected class, regardless of age.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard