for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for a Safari extension
#60985 02/27/22 10:22 PM
OP Offline

Is anybody aware of an extension that can summarize a page full of open tabs as a file in my bookmarks bar?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Looking for a Safari extension
artie505 #60986 02/28/22 01:08 AM

It is not the same thing, but have you looked at tab groups in Safari 15.4 to see if they might satisfy your need?

In the complete overkill department, DevonTHINK 3.8.2 can have a Group of Bookmarks and then create a Table of Contents of that Group which would be pretty close to what I think you are describing, although the default browser would be the version of Apple's webkit that is built into DevonTHINK.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60987 02/28/22 04:13 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, but my up to date Safari is 15.3, so I can only keep tab groups in mind for the future.

And DEVONthink is most assuredly overkill, even before factoring in its $99 price. I need this only once in a blue moon for serious shopping research.

I can create a new folder and do a whole bunch of command-Ds, but I'd certainly prefer a quicker, more elegant solution.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61030 03/03/22 02:12 AM

What does "summarize a page full of open tabs as a file" mean? What kind of page? Summarize how? A list of URLs?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #61032 03/03/22 04:07 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by dkmarsh
What does "summarize a page full of open tabs as a file" mean? What kind of page? Summarize how? A list of URLs?
What I was trying to say is "I'd like to able to select a Safari window with many open pages/tabs and have it close and appear as a folder of bookmarks in my bookmarks bar."

artie505 #61033 03/03/22 12:51 PM

In your version of Safari, is there not an Add Bookmarks for These [n] Tabs... command in the Bookmarks menu? In mine (Safari 13.1.2, High Sierra), selecting this command opens a dropdown dialog to create a new bookmarks folder containing all the tabs on the current page; it's trivially simple to navigate to Favorites as the save location, which adds the new folder to the Favorites (what you're calling bookmarks) bar.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
1 member likes this: artie505
dkmarsh #61034 03/03/22 01:23 PM
OP Offline

That's exactly what I'm looking for! MANY thanks!!!

And you've highlighted an aspect of being keyboard-centric that's never crossed my mind, namely that I don't look at menu bar drop-downs enough, so I forget/don't know what's in them. Had I looked at that drop-down to create a bookmark every time I've hit command-D instead, I'd undoubtedly have been aware of the option.

Thanks again.

Followup: Nope, it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The resultant folder differs from a regular bookmarks folder in that you can't resolve individual bookmarks within it. It's all or nothing, for which I'll happily settle, as the alternatives are more cumbersome.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard